2008 US Presidential Race, Obama vs McCain

monsoon

Gov.Palin alert:

The Republican National Committee has revealed the governor received $30,000 for clothing, above the already reported $150,000. .........for a total of $180,000.

Maybe I'm too poor to understand what a $180,000 wardrobe looks like. Of course women's clothing is expensive these days, but good grief! How many closets would that fill? How long would it take to actually pick out and purchase apparel that add up to 180K?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just received an email from the Al Franken for Senator campaign. Just announced: Franken has taken a 10 vote lead over Sen. Norm Coleman in the current count. Apparently 50,000+ ballots will be re tabulated before a winner is announced.

From now on nobody will be able to say their one vote doesn't count.

I just received an email from the Al Franken for Senator campaign. Just announced: Franken has taken a 10 vote lead over Sen. Norm Coleman in the current count. Apparently 50,000+ ballots will be re tabulated before a winner is announced.

From now on nobody will be able to say their one vote doesn't count.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's not completely over, but it looks as if ultra liberal Al Franken, the guy responsible for starting the modern "lets fight the Republicans with their own tactics" movement, has taken the Minnesota senate seat from Norm Coleman, a Rove/Bush acolyte. Franken has not been certified as this is going to require the GOP governor to sign off, and Coleman is mounting a bunch of legal challenges. However if Franken goes to the Senate today and is sworn in as Minnesota's senator, it's going to be very difficult dislodge him. You can bet this will be something the democratically controlled senate will be quick to do. They will be gleeful in their enthusiasm.

They won't be so happy to move fast on Roland Burris, who was picked by Rod Blagojevich to fill Illinois senate seat vacated by Obama. Despite the bluster from senators such as Harry Reid, the Senate has no legal authority in the US Constitution to prevent Burris from taking the seat who was legally appointed by Bloggo. The Federal government cannot dictate how states decide who will represent the state given that dual sovereignty is a construct of the United States. (remember it is a united set of States) The only thing the Senators can do is to move to impeach Burris after he is seated, but on what grounds? And will 75 White guys move to impeach a Black guy? Bloggo for his part, has not even been charged with any crimes.

The idiot democratic leadership has drawn a line in the sand they can't defend and are now running for the exits as fast as they can. The Democrats are in a bad position as they can't move quick on Franken who has not been certified, and drag their feet on Burris who was legally appointed, without looking like a bunch of hypocrites.

In the Georgia election, ultra conservative Saxby Chambliss, easily won a run-off race for his senate seat having failed to get 50% of the vote during the Nov. 4th election. Not much to say about this one as it was widely expected that Ga would go this way.

Joe Lieberman, having realized that he has burned a lot of bridges by pushing hard for McCain/Palin has quietly returned to the Senate and has asked for forgiveness from his democratic brothers. Obama pretty much put an end to any serious party retribution against Lieberman. I suspect that he will be a good dog for the next 2 years.

---------

So the final scorecard is 57 Democrats, 2 Independents, and 41 Republicans. The 111th Congress is seated this week.

I guess this would go here as well -- during the campaign the GOP continually said that Obama was lying when he said he would raise taxes on small businesses and folks making under a certain amount. He even suggested that he'd give tax breaks to which they poo-pahed even more. Front page of the New York Times today...guess what, Obama discussing a $300 billion tax break plan for small businesses and others. My bet, 'conservatives' won't be happy he actually did it (what they would want) but angry that he isn't going to be the doom of all small business as they said he would be. Gonna be hard to campaign against this with the same tired line of being the only party good for taxes and small business.

The recount of Minnesota's senatorial vote has placed Al Franken (D) an atom-thin 225 votes over sitting Senator Norm Coleman .

The meticulous recount took 62 days, and today the Minnesota Canvassing Board was ready to issue a formal proclamation. But Coleman's attorneys are already planning a challenge.

I'm one of those far-leftie Dems, and I was particularly galled by Norm Coleman's performance as US Senator. One glance at his voting record shows that Sen. Coleman was representing Bush/Cheney------ not the people of Minnesota.

Today in news conferences, Franken's attorney Marc Elias referred to his client as "Mr. Senator-elect Franken". Music to my ears.:)

Archived