2008 US Presidential Race, Obama vs McCain

monsoon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Obama will make it clear that we will not build any permanent bases in Iraq. He will keep some troops in Iraq to protect our embassy and diplomats; if al Qaeda attempts to build a base within Iraq, he will keep troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the region to carry out targeted strikes on al Qaeda.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Cynthia McKinney has been chosen to the presidential candidate of the Green Party. This alone can put the potential of Obama winning the state of Georgia in the General Election.

Also McLame, I mean McCain has told Latinos to "fear and don't trust a Obama presidency" when before the National Council of La Raza today. He claims that Obama has voted against every bill that would reform immigration. What he failed to mentioned how he and Ted Kennedy were trying to write bills for reform in 2005 but in the debate at the Regan Presidential Library that he would vote against that same bill if it is up for vote again. McCain is always changing his speak before the crowds he speaks while in front of a mostly white, conservative crowd he says that he would do one thing, but say another before a group of Latinos when he knows he desperately needs their votes. He is a clown.

The New Yorker has created a caricature of the Obamas on the cover with them both looking like they are Muslim terrorists with the American flag burning in the fireplace. Their claim is it is "the Colbert Report in the magazine form". The question is why when you know the simpletons in certain parts of the South and Midwest still think that Obama is "muslim"? Also most folks don't know what the New Yorker target demographic is. Poor taste, and so unneccesary.

Let's not forget the Jesse Jackson comments to wanting to "rip Obama's nuts off" when he made that speech to tell black males to step up on their responsibilities of their families and lives on Fathers' Day. Once again, Jesse Jackson has proven that he is a hater and out-of-touch with modern issues still facing most blacks, and is actually one of those that Obama was talking about considering he has an illigitimate child.

The question is why when you know the simpletons in certain parts of the South and Midwest still think that Obama is "muslim"? Also most folks don't know what the New Yorker target demographic is. Poor taste, and so unneccesary.

Let's not forget the Jesse Jackson comments to wanting to "rip Obama's nuts off" when he made that speech to tell black males to step up on their responsibilities of their families and lives on Fathers' Day. Once again, Jesse Jackson has proven that he is a hater and out-of-touch with modern issues still facing most blacks, and is actually one of those that Obama was talking about considering he has an illigitimate child.

A (partial) list of preachers who have been prominent in this presidential election:

1. John Hagee

2. Rod Parsely

3. Rev. Wright

4. Jesse Jackson

I don't know about you folks, but to me, this isn't an illustrious group of people at all. All four utter pure nonsense at every turn--and they are highly divisive. I honestly can't think of one single positive thing to say about any of them.

Are the American people ever going to learn that politics and religion work better when separate from each other? My European friends can't believe how American preachers wield so much political power. They think it's highly destructive, and so do I.

Jesse Jackson has had his issues, but I would not put him in the same category as the others. His earlier actions with the National Rainbow Coalition and Operation Breadbasket decades ago truly helped a lot of poor people. Part of this was teaching people to read and to learn skills so they could improve their own lives. Remember this was at a time when Blacks could not even attend the same schools as Whites and Jackson himself faced this discrimination first hand. My mother went to her him speak at an event in the late 70s in Conway, SC and took me with her. I was a teenager by then and remember being motivated greatly by what Jackson had to say. His message being "inclusiveness of all".

Jackson, Hagee, and Wright have a big issue however in that they grew up and became well known as their roles as "protest leaders". If Obama becomes President, how much of this protest is still needed? It's the problem with being successful. What do you do when the job is done?

Jesse Jackson is back in the news. Reportedly he used the N word during a break in a recent interview.

It's been asked a million times, but why does the American media give this jackass so much airtime? And who made him a spokesperson for black people? Jesse Jackson is nothing more than a self-promoting instigator of the absurd. I wouldn't waste one second of my time listening to him on TV.

It's going to be tricky for Obama to deal with Jackson and his ilk.

Jesse Jackson is back in the news. Reportedly he used the N word during a break in a recent interview.

It's been asked a million times, but why does the American media give this jackass so much airtime? And who made him a spokesperson for black people? Jesse Jackson is nothing more than a self-promoting instigator of the absurd. I wouldn't waste one second of my time listening to him on TV.

It's going to be tricky for Obama to deal with Jackson and his ilk.

Obama leads by about 12% points in my adopted state of Washington.....he even leads in more conservative eastern counties. To see Obama carry my beloved homestate North Carolina would be the best gift I could think of---a complete repudiation of Jesse Helms' legacy of division.

Obama is even competitive in Indiana, a hard-core red state. If popular Indianan Evan Bayh ends up on the ticket, the Hoosier State might go Dem for the first time since LBJ in the 60s.

Any of these polls ever say how well third party guys are doing? Curious as to see how Barr, Nader, and the others are competing. I know there's people out there besides me who don't like the Dems or Republicans and won't vote for Obama or McCain.

The McCain camp is running scared because Obama is getting ALOT of media covereage on his Middle East Tour and he is looking very presidential. Now the McCain camp is talking about announcing McCain's running mate this week. Of course its just to divert media attention from Obama. It just goes to show that McCain is hanging on the wires. Obama out performs McCain on economic issues and now Obama is threatening to out perform him on international/war issues.

The buzz is that McCain may select 37 year old Bobby (PIYUSH) Jindal as his running mate, a Hindu who converted to being a Catholic. Hes governor of Louisiana, hes 10 years younger than Obama and has less experience. Should McCain become president and he croaks, Bobby Jindal would then become president. It isnt set in stone yet but the latest buzz about McCain picking a running mate this week is around Bobby Jindal.

The buzz is that McCain may select 37 year old Bobby (PIYUSH) Jindal as his running mate, a Hindu who converted to being a Catholic. Hes governor of Louisiana, hes 10 years younger than Obama and has less experience. Should McCain become president and he croaks, Bobby Jindal would then become president. It isnt set in stone yet but the latest buzz about McCain picking a running mate this week is around Bobby Jindal.

He seems to be a serious choice and that seems to be the media buzz. The word is McCain may announce his pick this week and he is only meeting with one of the people on his short VP list and that Bobby Jindal. Of course if he picks him, it will seriously hurt him with the Christian republicans. Afterall Jindal use to be Hindu and they basically worship an elephant. I dont think that would go well with evangelicals.

Religion just refuses to bow out this election cycle......

First it was all about Obama "being a muslim". Then a handful of christian whackos entered the scene: UCC minister Rev. Wright, John Hagee, Parsley etc. and now we have a potential VP candidate (an ex Hindu) making the headlines!

When are the political pagans and Buddhists going to join the milieau? Apparently many Americans just can't get enough religious intrigue when it comes to politics.

If McCain picks Jindal, he loses the segment of the GOP who won't vote for a racial minority, and he probably loses the Evangelical vote as well. He also loses the ability to use his one credible argument against his opponent; that Obama is too young and inexperienced to be president. Jindal is a full decade younger than Obama, as cityboi stated. I'd love to see McCain pick Jindal as his running mate.

I still don't think we can discount the possibility that Mitt Romney, R-Clairol will be on the ticket. Having Pretty Boy Mitt onboard would be a hard pill for ol' hothead Johnnie McCain to swallow, but IMHO it seems inevitable.

I agree with others--I hope Johnnie picks the Hindu guy!

How are all the people that claimed that Obama saying he'd at least talk to enemies in other countries was unpatriotic and poor foreign policy justify the face-to-face talks Condi had with an Iranian Diplomat? Seems like a bit of a (welcome) flip and flop from the stupid old policy of never talking to the enemy. Even Reagan talked to Gorbachev.

I guess it will be OK if Bush does it bad bad if a Democrat proposes it.

Jindal said today:

"I'm not going to be the vice presidential nominee or vice president. I'm going to help Sen. McCain get elected as Governor of Louisiana. Let me be clear: I have said in every private and public conversation, I've got the job that I want."

Archived