History being made

monsoon

For most of the adults and near adults reading this, history is being made today in the USA in the fact that Barak Obama will be nominated as the first African American candidate for President of the USA and the free world. This is a remarkable change after the country has suffered through the worst presidency of its 232 year history.

The events as they unfold tonight will be something that people will talk about for decades.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YOu know what I like best about this? The mere fact that throws "America is a racist country" back in the face of the world. If America was as racist as many in the world like to think, this would not have been possible. Hurray for progress!

^ I hope so as well, but he hasn't been elected [yet].

This has got to be a tough time for Obama and advisors right now, on the one hand Hillary does not necesarily mean a net gain for him as VP, but he is being pressured by her supporters to choose her, and the DNC may subtly force this itself given her strong showing in areas. But what VP candidate would make him most palatable to those middle of the roaders who don't love him but aren't completely sold on McCain either?

^Ah, OK, but given our American attention span it may only be an historic "era" if he is elected, otherwise the novelty of what could have been may quickly fade. Then again, if he is not elected, it may leave this younger mass of new voters with a bad taste in their mouths, and galvanize people like never before for the 2012 election. So yeah, I guess you're right either way. :)

Generally it is pretty historic that one of the parties narrowed their two choices to a woman and an African (mixed) American man. Now we have their front runner, the African American. This is definitely the farthest a minority has ever come in this country so win or not I really believe there is no turning back. The ceiling is effectively broken to the point that a black man trying again won't be considered such a big deal. Same for a woman. In my eyes it always seems like things take so long to break through, but once they do it is a landslide for basic equality -- i.e. when I was in Jr. High and High School (in the 80's) it was a BIG deal to see a mixed couple. I wouldn't even repeat the names hurled, the family issues, and open discrimination about it even from the administration and teachers. Now...not a big deal and seen on a daily basis everywhere but the most segregated parts of the country. Not saying all parents are supportive, but they are a generation back, but to other kids or people my age and younger, who cares. Be wit who you wanna be wit.

There are probably those that would like to point out Condi Rice, and she did help pave the way to national prominance for blacks, but Obama has moved through the election process -- being chosen by the people and not appointed, that says a lot more to me.

I've just been ready to America to lose its antique mentality about minorities and who should and shouldn't have power.

I agree with the dam having burst idea, but to reveal some of my inner worries, I am concerned there are still pockets of those in this country that pose a serious danger to Obama. I know secret service is supposed to tail nominees, but with all the campaigning he will have to do, it won't be perfect. Not to be negative or anything, but I am just really ready for his presidency, and not another martyr. At any rate, I think this election will mark a permanent reversal of low voter turnout in this US, and thereby another "history being made" footnote.

I agree with the dam having burst idea, but to reveal some of my inner worries, I am concerned there are still pockets of those in this country that pose a serious danger to Obama. I know secret service is supposed to tail nominees, but with all the campaigning he will have to do, it won't be perfect. Not to be negative or anything, but I am just really ready for his presidency, and not another martyr. At any rate, I think this election will mark a permanent reversal of low voter turnout in this US, and thereby another "history being made" footnote.

^I'm sure the thought has crossed the minds not only of his supporters, but of Obama himself. However, pushing for such political change has always been risky, and such change has never been won without leaders and their followers being willing to take that risk.

Archived