25 + 20 + 20 Story Univ. Village Update Thread

wolverine

I hadn't heard much from this controversial project in awhile. Now it's back for site plan recommendations at Tuesday night's (June 3) planning meeting.

It appears to be bigger now? 25 story tower + two 20 story wings. They've always implied each wing would be a detached tower. Not sure what it will be now. My best guess is a U shape or something, with the tallest portion at the "bottom." Most of the parking appears to be underground....Nice! That means no crap parking podium.

From the agenda:

Public Hearing and Action on University Village Site Plan, 1.61 acres, southeast corner of South University and South Forest Avenues. A proposal to construct a mixed-use retail/residential development (retail on first level, 342 residential dwellings units on rest of floors) consisting of one 25-story tower with two wings, 20 stories each, and a total of 259 parking spaces (235 underground) – Staff Recommendation:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time this was on the table, the people who seemed to be complaining the most were the nearby landlords. It really seemed like their main gripe was new competition, NOT so much the fact that these towers were out of scale with the rest of the neighborhood. Three 20+ story towers are not going to seem like a bunch of huge monolithic structures. I'm guessing they'll fit in pretty well near the University Towers, and the density of that stretch of South University is begging for more high density housing. It seems like a really good fit overall to me!

If that is true, and this does get built. I'd imagine seeing an improvements and upgrades in rental properties around AA.

However, I can't imagine competition being a huge problem. As enrollment increases at U of M, demand will continue to rise for housing.

If that is true, and this does get built. I'd imagine seeing an improvements and upgrades in rental properties around AA.

However, I can't imagine competition being a huge problem. As enrollment increases at U of M, demand will continue to rise for housing.

^ Actually we get them on a regular basis. Every few months something pops up. Maybe not above 20 floors. It's just they all get shot down every time since people want to keep it looking like a small town. We've had 40 story proposals a few years ago, but they were scaled back into nonexistence.

^ Actually we get them on a regular basis. Every few months something pops up. Maybe not above 20 floors. It's just they all get shot down every time since people want to keep it looking like a small town. We've had 40 story proposals a few years ago, but they were scaled back into nonexistence.

• 2 months later...

I figure that I may as well throw up a post about this even though the news is some what old. A few weeks ago, under pressure from the people that showed up for the city commission meeting, the city council decided to push back until October a decision on this project. Every time I think we have turned a corner with larger developments, I get reminded that this is still Ann Arbor. Hopefully it is just a temporary set back.

• 3 months later...

Surprised no one posted this, but this tower was reduced in height, yet again to only 14 stories back in October, but that is the latest information I can find on it. Do the developers have a website for the project? It's been tough finding info on this one. I even tried looking at the October 22nd council agenda and minutes when this was approved and found nothing on this.

Archived