Michigan Film-Making Projects/Tax Credits

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The State Senate already approved a plan to change the film credit program's confidentiality rules. A house committee voted it in unanimously so it should be hitting the floor of the house soon (MLive article here)

Big takeaways of the plan, according to the link:

1) Treasury reports to the Legislature when credits are awarded and a check is written

2) Film Office reports every six months the applications received, productions proposed, and total of tax credits awarded

3) Film Office reports annually how many crew members of credited projects were MI residents

I think it would be nice if Item #3 also included local contractors that did business with credited projects, assuming the Film Office would track that as well. It would give a more accurate representation of a production's economic impact.

I also think it'd be nice if the Film Office requires all contracts with third parties to be resolved before accepting a tax credit application. That way, if you did work for, hmm... let's say, Hangar42, you won't get screwed out of being paid if the application is denied.

It doesn't seem to mention whether or not the Film Office will be allowed to provide details of specific projects on request, as the Mackinac Center was trying to do in the beginning; but I don't see how that would be a problem after the bill is enacted, since it will be in the public record.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived