Michigan Film-Making Projects/Tax Credits

GRDadof3

Ya know, I don't think I've seen Val in anything lately. Probably going all the way back to The Doors (in which he was an excellent Jim Morrison). Early 90's?

He's done a lot since then, some of it smaller lesser know stuff. I still liked him better in his first movie, Top Secret.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was pretty much a non-story too with all the holes. Nobody's talking actual confirmed details and here's another curiousity, the movie site imbd.com usually has info on all movies in production, even info about movies in pre-production and there's NOTHING about this film they're calling "The Steam Experiment." Even attempted to cross reference by looking up Val Kilmer and none of the movies he's connected to recently even fit the bill - 20's era, etc. Strange. :dontknow:

*fish

That name could be a total red herring. When they were filming scenes for the latest Batman movie The Dark Knight in Chicago, everyone was told that the movie they were filming was called Rory's First Kiss or something like that. Locals eventually sussed it out though.

What a weekend to be Downtown!

With so many things-to-do, here is a helpful list on how to maneuver downtown this weekend:

Watch the filming of the Steam Experiment (see closures above)

Cheer on the Priority Health Classic Bike Race

• Street Closures this Saturday
  • Ionia from Louis to Oakes
  • Oakes from Ionia to Grandville
  • Weston to the Arena
  • Ottawa from Weston to Louis

Celebration on the Grand

[*]Street Closures

[*]Monroe Center - Monroe to Ionia 9/3 10PM to9/7

[*]Bridge

What a weekend to be Downtown!

With so many things-to-do, here is a helpful list on how to maneuver downtown this weekend:

Watch the filming of the Steam Experiment (see closures above)

Cheer on the Priority Health Classic Bike Race

• Street Closures this Saturday
  • Ionia from Louis to Oakes
  • Oakes from Ionia to Grandville
  • Weston to the Arena
  • Ottawa from Weston to Louis

Celebration on the Grand

[*]Street Closures

[*]Monroe Center - Monroe to Ionia 9/3 10PM to9/7

[*]Bridge

Interesting...I hope we don't become famous like Amityville...or that Colorado hotel in The Shining.

Exactly. Let's hope Grand Rapids is not portrayed as "the town where everyone laughs at that global warming mumbo jumbo". :unsure: Let's hope the casting crew doesn't enlist people who write letters to the editor at the Press. Oyy.

Michigan St was closed yesterday morning between Ottawa and Monroe... I was coming off the Ottawa exit ramp at about 6am and had to go up to Lyon and come back down Monroe to get over to Bridgewater. I'm sure it was a film set, but I didn't have time to watch as I had an appointment. Anyone else notice this?

Michigan St was closed yesterday morning between Ottawa and Monroe... I was coming off the Ottawa exit ramp at about 6am and had to go up to Lyon and come back down Monroe to get over to Bridgewater. I'm sure it was a film set, but I didn't have time to watch as I had an appointment. Anyone else notice this?

Monroe was closed this morning, just before 6am right in front of the Amway Grand Plaza. They had a big light,making it look like daytime, didn't get to see much else.

Monroe was closed this morning, just before 6am right in front of the Amway Grand Plaza. They had a big light,making it look like daytime, didn't get to see much else.

In front of the Amway Grand Plaza this morning were three moving trucks and a huge cache of set equipment strewn out on the sidewalk. Don't know if they were coming or going to another shooting location.

I posted some pics from The Bull's Head filming of the new Valmer movie in the photo thread.

Barrymore & co. (Ellen Page, Jimmy Fallon, Juliette Lewis, Eve, etc.) are shooing Whip It! in southeastern Michigan. My roommate's sister met Fallon over the summer in Ann Arbor. Apparently Ellen really likes Detroit too.

• 5 months later...

The Press Club of Grand Rapids will host 3 Michigan film industry officials at their March 25 luncheon. Theyll discuss tax incentives for the film industry and the impact it is having on Michigan’s shaky economy.

Panelists include Ken Droz, Creative Communications Manager for the Michigan Film Office, Deb Havens, Public Relations Director of West Michigan Film & Video Alliance and Dori DuPree, Head of Education and Outreach at Tic-Tock Studios and Co-founder of Waterfront Film Festival.

Event is held at the Press Club of Grand Rapids, Wednesday, March 25, 111 Lyon Street NW, 10th floor, in downtown Grand Rapids. Lunch starts at 12:30 p.m. with the presentation to follow.

edited: Please send a PM to RenZone for registration and cost details.

• 2 months later...

I still think the reason is that Mad Max-esque post apocalyptic movies are very easy to shoot in Detroit these days. If you can sense disdain toward the Big D in my post, it's intentional. I think Grand Rapids continues to succeed in spite of the reputation our state is getting from our "in state" friends. ;)

Joe

Chaos Experience, Hopeful Notes, Offspring, Genesis Code, anything Tic Tock makes...

West Michigan could end up being the "independent" side of the state's film industry. We could emphasize our focus on smaller production companies, rather than the major studios. Smaller and less glamorous is the GR way.

Archived