Michigan Film-Making Projects/Tax Credits

GRDadof3

Metro Detroit now has four studios open or under construction. They have skilled workers with experience making car commercials. And they have what experts say West Michigan needs the most: investors.

The jist I gathered was that Detroit's doing a better job attracting investors from outside the state to build them studios, which is what West Michigan should do if it wants in on the action. I don't think studios are the kind of thing DeVos's (except for maybe Rick) or Van Andels want to get into, so we'd have to get the attention of some nutty venture capitalist from outside the area.

"Skilled workers with experience making car commercials" is kind of a silly remark. When I see commercials with cars rolling through urban landscapes, I've never seen Detroit in any of them. It's usually in Los Angeles. Or somewhere else.

In reading the comments on the bottom, I don't see why people are so negative about the film industry. People seem to think it's a "threat" to manufacturing. First of all, it's not a threat to any industry, it's just a way to bring outside money in, and second, it's not like manufacturing has been so good to us recently... That's why we built the Medical Mile.

I usually don't try to wrap my head around inane blog comments, but maybe the negative attitude has something to do with it. We're not the only ones trying to attract film crews; every state is trying to do it. We're playing catch-up.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chaos Experience, Hopeful Notes, Offspring, Genesis Code, anything Tic Tock makes...

West Michigan could end up being the "independent" side of the state's film industry. We could emphasize our focus on smaller production companies, rather than the major studios. Smaller and less glamorous is the GR way.

You know, there may be something to this. It is not a bad idea to focus on a particular piece of the industry. It is hard to target everything, but if we were to target a niche piece of this industry, that might actually work.

You know, there may be something to this. It is not a bad idea to focus on a particular piece of the industry. It is hard to target everything, but if we were to target a niche piece of this industry, that might actually work.

I'll throw out that the West Michigan Film/Video Alliance (wmfva.org) is quite active in working to build an industry here on the west side of the state. They're still kind of a start-up, but they've been making strides to boost awareness and production over here. It doesn't look like they've officially announced it yet, but they're organizing a major conference this fall at Crystal Mountain resort to invite industry professionals, legislators, universities, etc., to convene and discuss growing the industry throughout Michigan, but especially on this side of the mitten.

The jist I gathered was that Detroit's doing a better job attracting investors from outside the state to build them studios, which is what West Michigan should do if it wants in on the action. I don't think studios are the kind of thing DeVos's (except for maybe Rick) or Van Andels want to get into, so we'd have to get the attention of some nutty venture capitalist from outside the area.

"Skilled workers with experience making car commercials" is kind of a silly remark. When I see commercials with cars rolling through urban landscapes, I've never seen Detroit in any of them. It's usually in Los Angeles. Or somewhere else.

In reading the comments on the bottom, I don't see why people are so negative about the film industry. People seem to think it's a "threat" to manufacturing. First of all, it's not a threat to any industry, it's just a way to bring outside money in, and second, it's not like manufacturing has been so good to us recently... That's why we built the Medical Mile.

I usually don't try to wrap my head around inane blog comments, but maybe the negative attitude has something to do with it. We're not the only ones trying to attract film crews; every state is trying to do it. We're playing catch-up.

I think the Big 3 commercial production has some merit. Even if the scenery might not be Detroit, the production crews are all based in the Detroit area (I believe). I knew someone who worked for an ad agency years ago near Bloomfield Hills that did a ton of Ford TV ads. So there is talent in place that they can draw on.

But again, it's recognition. If you're out in California, you probably have no idea what is in Grand Rapids or West Michigan that's different than any other Midwestern city that is trying to draw you to make movies. Detroit definitely conjurs up images and grit that make for good scenery.

Plus, there may be a bit of an anti-hollywood sentiment here that is holding back the big investors in the area.

I hear there is a very good chance that the Chaos Experiment guys will be back this summer, and may even be looking at constructing a sound stage (but that's just local birdies chirping, or tweeting).

I think the Big 3 commercial production has some merit. Even if the scenery might not be Detroit, the production crews are all based in the Detroit area (I believe). I knew someone who worked for an ad agency years ago near Bloomfield Hills that did a ton of Ford TV ads. So there is talent in place that they can draw on.

I take back my earlier remark then. Sorry, I had no idea.

In the big picture though, GR and Kzoo also have skilled videographers based here that travel the country. So besides the fact that Detroit is just a bigger market, I don't think they really have a "leg-up" on us like the article suggests.

New Tic Tock project starring Liam Neeson and Jennifer Connelly:

Movie 'What's Wrong With Virginia' to be shot in West Michigan

Variety also had a blurb on it last Saturday; Gus Van Sant is attached as an executive producer:

Neeson, Connelly take 'Wrong' turn

DuPree isn't giving away the production value, but considering the big names involved, it's certainly going to be the studio's biggest project to date.

Whoa! This one caught me off guard.

I hadn't heard about this project yet, and they started filming downtown on Friday! Anyone in the neighborhood happen to catch the action?

50 Cent, Adam Rodriguez, Chris Klein filming Caught in the Crossfire in Grand Rapids - MLive

Here's another quick mention in the Trib:

50 Cent to Star in film being shot in Grand Rapids - Chicago Tribune

I haven't been able to get any info on the production company, or who's involved in it besides those three cast members (notice I didn't say "actors" :P ).

I hear there is a very good chance that the Chaos Experiment guys will be back this summer, and may even be looking at constructing a sound stage (but that's just local birdies chirping, or tweeting).

Looks like they are shooting in Detroit. I forwarded this message to all my musical contacts.

...make some $ and be in this movie with Christopher Walken and Val Kilmer.

----- Forwarded Message -----

From: "Real Style" <irishman (at) realstyleonline (dot) com>

To: irishman @ realstyleonline . com

Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2009 3:08:29 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern

Subject: Real Style - irishman-POLKA BAND NEEDED

Please, if you know of anyone, who plays in a polka band, we need a polka band

for the movie the Irishman.

Where: Detroit area

When: Thursday, May 28

Report time: To be determined on Wednesday, May 27

Report times are released the evening prior to filming. You must have your whole

day free.

Please forward this onto to anyone you know who might be interested.

Last I heard Cinepro, the Production House behind the Chaos Experiment was going to be filming " Tribes Of October" in GR using Devos Place as a soundstage. The entire movie is green-screen.

Link:

Tribes of October page on the Cinepro Site

It doesn't have a location list, but it has about everything else you might want to know about the movie.

I haven't been able to get any info on the production company, or who's involved in it besides those three cast members (notice I didn't say "actors" :P ).

50 Cent's talking to the local media, and some of the details about "Caught in the Crossfire" are coming out. Here's some info on MLive in case you're out of town like me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WZZM posted an article about one group's effort to produce a movie locally:

West Michigan Film Makers Wants to Bring Action to Grand Rapids - WZZM

I realize articles about the film incentives and their yet-to-be-reached potential are getting old, but in this case, I appreciate reading about people who are trying to build a locally-focused homemade film industry, especially on this side of the state... Like those in the WMFVA (Oddly, they're not mentioned in this article).

By the way, some details on the movie A Tale of True Blue from IndieGoGo:

In the back drop of the state

• 1 month later...

Michigan Subsidies Fail - Wall Street Journal

They may be right about some things, but their "failure" verdict on the film incentives are way premature. Rewriting the MI business tax code would be a fabulous idea, but why scapegoat one of the few programs that are working? Why bite one of the few hands feeding you?

And the Mackinac Center for Public Policy is not a non-partisan organization despite the fact they pretend to be. Thinking doesn't make it so, WSJ.

As a Michigan resident who has been in the film-making industry for 25 years and who has read every line of the current legislation, I can tell you first hand that there is absolutely nothing in these bills that provides me ANY tax relief, let alone any incentives to invest in film-making infrastructure. Sure, a studio building can qualify - but all the "stuff" (equipment, cameras, etc) inside that building is a different matter. Aside from changing the signage on the exterior of a few brownfield structures, these "studios" are nothing more than empty "shells" where out of state producers can bring out-of-state cameras and directors to make a film for a few days or weeks. When shooting is complete, the building goes back to being an empty shell - and the local freelancers go back to wondering how they will survive in Michigan until another project comes along. And this is exactly what is wrong with these incentives. Any legitimate "infrastructure" investment needs a lot more than a couple independent feature films each year to sustain itself in Michigan's business climate.

Seasoned film-making professionals know that non-feature, commercial film-making is what sustains upwards of 80 percent of the industry's infrastructure. And Michigan-based, non-feature, commercial film-making is barely acknowledged in the current incentives and continues to suffer under the burden of Michigan's tax structure. What isn't being communicated in the sound-bites is that a vast majority of the jobs being "created" are very temporary, lasting only a few days or a few weeks at best. Nobody is talking about what these "freelancers" are doing to survive the other 46 weeks a year they aren't working on a "feature". I can tell you that most are struggling, some are doing temp jobs and others are seriously looking for work outside the industry.

All these incentives have generated for me have been numerous phone calls asking me to act as the "front man" to "launder" the payables for an out of state production... and calls seeking cheap day labor or "interns" willing to work for free. These incentives have done nothing to benefit those of us who live IN STATE and continue to labor under the burden of the MBT. Furthermore, the vast pool of freelance workers in this industry continue to suffer under a higher individual tax burden, still have inadequate access to affordable healthcare, and are - at best - dangling at the periphery of workers comp coverage and the other benefits provided to most people with "normal" jobs.

If the Michigan legislature wants film-making to be something more than the source of occasional headlines, they need to stop mailing large checks to out of state production companies and start fixing the core issues facing ALL small businesses that exist and provide jobs in this state EVERY DAY. And... it is worth noting that fixing these core issues would benefit not only the film industry but also a vast number of other small businesses that are currently suffering: contractors, builders, graphic artists, writers... and almost anyone who works for themselves and wishes to grow their business, etc.

Fix the problems facing the self-employed and small business and THAT will generate truly measurable growth across lots of industries in Michigan - even if it doesn't generate fluffy headlines.

...Seasoned film-making professionals know that non-feature, commercial film-making is what sustains upwards of 80 percent of the industry's infrastructure. And Michigan-based, non-feature, commercial film-making is barely acknowledged in the current incentives and continues to suffer under the burden of Michigan's tax structure. ...

Please provide an example or two of a non-feature commercial film. TIA!

(I live in Michigan, I want to work in Michigan.)

Please provide an example or two of a non-feature commercial film. TIA!

(I live in Michigan, I want to work in Michigan.)

The really short answer is that non-feature "commercial" films are just about anything you don't see in a theater or rent from Blockbuster. A more detailed answer follows...

I produce medium and long-form commercial film projects for medium to large corporations or organizations (think Fortune 1000) located throughout the midwest and even on the coasts. I also produce documentary films. Most of these "commercial" films are not seen by the public - rather they are used to inform customers, dealers, shareholders, donors, employees, visitors to museums and landmarks, etc. While I do not personally produce TV commercials, advertising spots are also a huge chunk of the "commercial" film-making that takes place in Michigan. I and the people who produce TV spots employ all the same tools and personnel used in a feature production (and sometimes even more). The "features" that come to Michigan seek out the same gear and the same people I employ (or struggle under our tax burden to employ) throughout the year.

These "commercial" films and TV spots are what built the production infrastructure we currently have in Michigan. Heck, in past years the auto industry alone supported dozens of production companies and hundreds of production people in Detroit alone. Here in GR nearly every large company you can name has (or is currently) spending money on film making in some form or another. In fact, it wasn't so long ago that Amway employed one of the largest in-house production capabilities in the country. Unfortunately, the current economic climate in Michigan has made it very difficult for people like us to survive.

Out of respect for my clients, I won't identify any of them and won't provide specific examples of any of my recent work. But I can give you an example from several years ago that has found its way somewhat into the public view (without being a "feature"). I was part of the team that produced the long-form documentary film on Steelcase's restoration of the Meyer-May home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright here in GR. That project took almost 2 years to complete, required a camera crew on site at least 3-4 days per week the entire time, involved travel to multiple locations throughout the midwest, burned through over 60,000 feet of film, and ultimately employed the efforts of dozens of production professionals in all areas of production. I won't divulge the budget but can tell you it was easily a larger effort than and cost as much as or more than many of the lower budget or direct-to-dvd "features" being made today.

As a production company, I pay the MBT, its 23 percent upcharge, and all the other usual payroll and corporate taxes. I also am required to pay for work comp for all the subcontractors I hire, pay property tax on the value of all my equipment (regardless how fast innovation antiquates it) and I must carry property and liability insurance covering myself and all the freelancers I subcontract. There is no way I can afford to provide healthcare for these subcontractors, so many of them are not insured or are under-insured. There is absolutely no relief for them or me in the current "incentives". We don't aspire to receive a large rebate from the state, but we'd certainly welcome a reduction in our cost of doing business here in Michigan.

The really short answer is that non-feature "commercial" films are just about anything you don't see in a theater or rent from Blockbuster. ...

Out of respect for my clients, I won't identify any of them and won't provide specific examples of any of my recent work. ...

So... a film at the Public Museum depicting Old City Hall getting demolished? A piece of info-tainment viewable at a check-out TV at Uncle Fred's? Something like those examples?

So... a film at the Public Museum depicting Old City Hall getting demolished? A piece of info-tainment viewable at a check-out TV at Uncle Fred's? Something like those examples?

Yep. Some stuff is short, some stuff is long. Some is elaborate, some is simple. Some is intended for the public, some isn't. Point is... this kind of stuff is happening nearly every day all year long. It adds up to a bunch of economic activity - and as a whole, it weighs a bunch more than a handful of theatrical feature projects.

• 4 weeks later...

John Serba has some info on Tic Tock's current project, What's Wrong with Virginia?, which is shooting right now:

Jennifer Connelly, Ed Harris gut out weather while filming 'What's Wrong with Virginia?' in West Michigan (MLive)

If you remember, Liam Neeson was supposed to star, but had to bow out due to scheduling conflicts. Now Ed Harris is in.

They've been filming in a few locations in Holland and Grand Haven. A Saginaw native was cast in one of the supporting roles.

Archived