DeVos Building Renovation for Spout and Windquest

DwntwnGeo

Um who cares. Did anyone read the article in the Lansing State Journal. Dick Devos bought his son a company and building and now wants Michigan taxpayers to pay for it. Yes that is right Daddy Devos would like the Michigan taxpayers to buy his son a building for seven employees.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Um who cares. Did anyone read the article in the Lansing State Journal. Dick Devos bought his son a company and building and now wants Michigan taxpayers to pay for it. Yes that is right Daddy Devos would like the Michigan taxpayers to buy his son a building for seven employees.

This kills me...why shouldn't they be entitled to the same opportunities and incentives offered everyone else in the State?

For god's sake the DeVos' have poured HUNDREDS of millions into downtown with hotels, philanthropy beyond any stretch of the imagination as well as creating a massive development on the medical mile that will help draw THOUSANDS of high paying jobs to GR in a sorely needed area of Michigan's economy.

They have money...gads of it. You don't...so get over it. :cry:

They do a ton of wonderful stuff in our community. GR would be in much worse shape without them.

Don't waste your typing PR-15. Mifunboy is a one-hit-wonder.

And I agree. I was just in Flint last week, which was once the second largest city in Michigan, and you get a pretty clear picture of a town with no major benefactors.

Maybe Michael Moore could build a new hotel and arena downtown? :) He could be Flint's new sugar daddy. WHERE ARE YOU MICHAEL MOORE! FLINT NEEDS YOU! :rofl:

In all seriousness, the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation is based in Flint. Seems like they'd have a few other auto families who had lots of money. Perhaps not though. I'm still kind of new to Michigan.

Mott has done a few things for the city, including an art museum and a cultural center. But I think it takes more than just one benefactor. There's an army of people in GR who have a vested interest in its rejuvenation (it seems).

But I don't see why they should be exempt from the same tax credits that are available to every other developer, as long as it's a level playing field.

...it seems like a majority of downtown GR is owned by three or four rich families who swooped in and bought up a lot of land when the area was depressed because they had the money to do it and everyone else just fights for the scraps. ...

Not quite. If someone funds a project, the grateful recipients will put the donor's name on the building, almost like the naming rights to a stadium. Fred and Lena do not own the heart center, nor its land. Van Halen Andel doesn't own the arena. GRF doesn't own the airport.

HTH

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would have to say the crane will be used for the top floor addition GRDad mentioned. Also there was supposed to be a new elevator shaft that will connect this building with Devos place. Perhaps the crane will help in building the elevator shaft. Hauling up pallets of cinder block, and components that make up the elevator systems.

well, like i said, i am not overly concerned about the crane tipping, but it seems like a think just chilling on the bed of a truck seems rather unsafe. i know the counterweights are strong, and i know itll never fall. im still slightly nervous around it though. stranger things have happened.

Archived