DeVos Building Renovation for Spout and Windquest

DwntwnGeo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting a bit iffy about all of these modern extensions to old buildings... ESPECIALLY here where it's already awkward having the low-rising convention center next door. I have a feeling I am not going to like the execution of this extra floor.

In the past, extensions were done completely in context. Look at the McKay and the top of the Bell Telephone Building (the part above the peaking area with no windows was added later on). Why can't we build extensions that way anymore and have to result to modern swooshes that completely contrast with everything around them?

On another note, I love that glass on River House. Always will, always have.

In the past, extensions were done completely in context. Look at the McKay and the top of the Bell Telephone Building (the part above the peaking area with no windows was added later on). Why can't we build extensions that way anymore and have to result to modern swooshes that completely contrast with everything around them?

It's great to see this building progress. I always forget about how beautiful this building is. It kind of gets lost between the Amway Grand and Devos Place.

I actually think it's impressive that this building didn't get the wrecking ball when they "renewed" the rest of the block. I think there must have been a pretty powerful/stable business in the building at the time to not get crushed by progress. :)

Joe

It's great to see this building progress. I always forget about how beautiful this building is. It kind of gets lost between the Amway Grand and Devos Place.

I actually think it's impressive that this building didn't get the wrecking ball when they "renewed" the rest of the block. I think there must have been a pretty powerful/stable business in the building at the time to not get crushed by progress. :)

Joe

• 1 month later...

Anyone notice the circular elevator shaft going up in steel on the NW corner? That came out of nowhere! Looks pretty cool.

I'm really confused about the window design. There are two muttin patterns that don't look right together. Stand on Monroe and take a look. I don't like it at all. Sorry, no pictures.

There's lots of oddities going on with the windows. Two patterns, plus there are actuall operable single-hung windows on the top floor. The windows with the horizontal muttin centered vertically (such as on floors 5 and 6) were the last to be installed so maybe someone changed their mind on the windows after the ones on floors 2,3, and 4 were already installed and they haven't been fixed yet.

Either way, I'd be interested to see how it all sorts out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had an opportunity to walk through the building the other day.

Quite an interesting old building. It's really too bad it was in disrepair for so long.

There's a giant steel i-beam going through the first floor that is a bit of a head scratcher.

It's almost like the entire building is being gutted, and the only thing left over will be the historic brick on the outside, and the location of the building.

Also not sure about the wave and the roof top access. I'm not sure if it's going to get a finishing treatment, or if its just going to be shiney galvanized steel.

• 2 months later...

Archived