Working downtown rocks!

As some of you know, I started a new job a few months ago located right downtown. You would think I would know as well as most about how cool it is to work downtown, but you can really only get a true feeling of it when you're actually doing it. It's WAY better than previous places of employment that I've had in the burbs:

) It's like one big social scene at lunch hour. I run into someone I know almost daily.

) You have an excuse to get out and walk every day. You can walk to lunch, walk to the bank, walk to the bookstore, walk along the riverbank.....

) Our downtown is so vibrant.

) It's great for networking, as you can just hop over to other people's offices at the drop of a hat.

) If your employer provides workout facilities/showers, you can go for a run at lunch hour. The sidewalks are packed with runners at lunch. I know one office building on Grandville that has just added common workout facilities/showers for all of its tenants (44 Grandville).

) Many places downtown provide free wifi, so you can grab lunch and do a little work (or browse UP) at lunch.

) Downtown is centrally located, so it's convenient for pretty much everyone (instead of someone living in Rockford driving to Cascade and vice-versa)

) Happy Hour!!

If you're downtown, look me up and we can grab lunch some time. If you're not downtown now, get with the program! (or get your employer with the program) :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dad- I'll make a deal with you - get me a job DT GR, and I will buy you that luch every day for a year. Better yet, I'll rub your back while you eat it! I hate working in Lansing!!!!

On a side note, I was in Montreal last week and was amazed at how great a city it is. Everyone relies on the subways, the transit buses, even a s**t-ton of scooters and bicycles - It really made me realize how much commuting sucks.

Try working almost in Kentwood after working downtown. I work at 52nd and Patterson where there are NO restaurants and nothing in walking distance so you're lucky. I live in Eastown and boy do I miss working somewhere where I can walk around. I guess I can walk around the "campus" I work at.

I have a new job downtown, not office though. Pedicabs! I'll be out Saturday (would be Friday too if my other job would show some respect to my posted availability.)

I think it'd be nice if we had a weekly/bi-weekly lunch gathering. I'm almost always downtown around lunchtime on nice days already.

) It's like one big social scene at lunch hour. I run into someone I know almost daily.

) You have an excuse to get out and walk every day. You can walk to lunch, walk to the bank, walk to the bookstore, walk along the riverbank.....

) Our downtown is so vibrant.

) It's great for networking, as you can just hop over to other people's offices at the drop of a hat.

) If your employer provides workout facilities/showers, you can go for a run at lunch hour. The sidewalks are packed with runners at lunch. I know one office building on Grandville that has just added common workout facilities/showers for all of its tenants (44 Grandville).

) Many places downtown provide free wifi, so you can grab lunch and do a little work (or browse UP) at lunch.

) Downtown is centrally located, so it's convenient for pretty much everyone (instead of someone living in Rockford driving to Cascade and vice-versa)

) Happy Hour!! ...

Well, it is not DT Grand Rapids but I just got a job in DT Holland and I love it. Just like Dad mentioned, I can walk to lunch, to the bank, to the bookstore, to the Peanut Store, run through Hope at lunch time and stop in and get some ice cream. There is also some pretty good beer as well for after work. I was working out in Ada before and I had to drive just to get a sandwich at lunch. I guess I could have walked but who walks along Fulton?

Well, it is not DT Grand Rapids but I just got a job in DT Holland and I love it. Just like Dad mentioned, I can walk to lunch, to the bank, to the bookstore, to the Peanut Store, run through Hope at lunch time and stop in and get some ice cream. There is also some pretty good beer as well for after work. I was working out in Ada before and I had to drive just to get a sandwich at lunch. I guess I could have walked but who walks along Fulton?

I've worked DT for the past 10 years. My wife also works there.

I couldn't imagine working anywhere else. Being nothing more than a six minute bike ride from work. Using the free shuttle bus to get around, eating at Johnny's Lunch, all the while not having to care about commutes or gas prices. So sweet.

And one of the great things about being here is that it really is like a small neighborhood. People do know each other, maybe not always by name, but you do know them many times by their unique dress and personality that you can only know by being out of a car and walking around.

Also, I dont know if this makes sense, but it seems that being down here for work, you absorb the sense of purpose and creativity form other around you. Seeing CEOs to Art students going about their business downtown really gives you a charge and makes you want to go a be productive.

I've worked DT for the past 10 years. My wife also works there.

I couldn't imagine working anywhere else. Being nothing more than a six minute bike ride from work. Using the free shuttle bus to get around, eating at Johnny's Lunch, all the while not having to care about commutes or gas prices. So sweet.

And one of the great things about being here is that it really is like a small neighborhood. People do know each other, maybe not always by name, but you do know them many times by their unique dress and personality that you can only know by being out of a car and walking around.

Also, I dont know if this makes sense, but it seems that being down here for work, you absorb the sense of purpose and creativity form other around you. Seeing CEOs to Art students going about their business downtown really gives you a charge and makes you want to go a be productive.

I have to say if I'm going for a Hot Dog, I still go to the Dog Pit. Nothing beats the Chicago Dog. But yeah, Johnny's Lunch is good, saves me from having to walk across the river to Burger King. But all those options within walking distance is excellent. Hot dogs, burgers, salads, gyros, coffee-shop pastries. Oh yes, tacos, too. I still haven't been there, maybe that's the next place I should check out.

I've been working downtown for a year now. The best thing about it is I can ride the Rapid to central station and then walk to work. After work I can walk over to the YMCA. With the Rapid expanding service an extra hour later in August I'll be able to catch the bus back from the YMCA instead of having to coordinate a pick up with the wife. Also looking forward to being able to have a few beers at Founders and Hopcat after work and still catch the bus home.

I work next to the arena so there's always something going on during the walk to work. Elephants, pro wrestlers, washed up rock stars, you name it. Adds a little variation to a repetition.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder what it would take to get my multi-billion dollar corporate employer to relocate its 2m owned sf to downton GR . . hmmm . . probably not going to happen . . . . . try working in Zeeland . . .~sigh~ B-O-R-I-N-G . . . . . .I used to work downtown GR and still miss it . . . .. .but hey I have a job, right . . . ..

Archived