Festival of the Arts 2009

Here's the poster, likely influenced by the work of A. Warhol:

2008fullposter.jpg

Cannot wait. I rode DT last night, answering the call for volunteers, and ended up helping put snow fencing around the swing and G. Vitesse.

Pics from set-up:

foa-01.jpg

foa-02.jpg

foa-03.jpg

foa-04.jpg

And now I have a program book all highlighted and ready to go.

Anyone know where the Dave Wells Oompah Band will be strolling at noon on Saturday? Been looking for them for three years now...

See ya at the bike park (Lyon & Ottawa)!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the poster, likely influenced by the work of A. Warhol:

2008fullposter.jpg

Cannot wait. I rode DT last night, answering the call for volunteers, and ended up helping put snow fencing around the swing and G. Vitesse. And now I have a program book all highlighted and ready to go.

Anyone know where the Dave Wells Oompah Band will be strolling at noon on Saturday? Been looking for them for three years now...

See ya at the bike park (Lyon & Ottawa)!

The annual Festival interrupting thunderstorms have arrived, and officials have currently put the celebration on hold until the storm blows over...

Stay safe and dry everyone. Hopefully I see you down there tomorrow.

Oh, and I'm sure the poster is available at numerous locations around downtown this weekend.

UPDATE: Things are starting up again. Keep your fingers crossed that the storms hold off.

The annual Festival interrupting thunderstorms have arrived, and officials have currently put the celebration on hold until the storm blows over...

Stay safe and dry everyone. Hopefully I see you down there tomorrow.

Oh, and I'm sure the poster is available at numerous locations around downtown this weekend.

UPDATE: Things are starting up again. Keep your fingers crossed that the storms hold off.

Forget the poster, you need one of these. (Kid size shown)

foa-18.jpg

Schubert Male Chorus

foa-05.jpg

foa-06.jpg

foa-07.jpg

This is attempting to be a green Festival, and the guys who walk around looking for cans aren't getting lucky.

foa-08.jpg

foa-14.jpg

View inside the bike park.

foa-10.jpg

Seems to be a safe place to leave one's ride.

foa-12.jpg

foa-13.jpg

More of my favorite people.

foa-09.jpg

foa-11.jpg

Truckstop Cobras

foa-15.jpg

foa-16.jpg

Fans of Olive Express, this is all you need to find.

foa-17.jpg

foa-19.jpg

Not all the entertainment happens on a stage. Under the sign is a storefront preacher type trying to whip up the crowd, with GRPD and the sheriff keeping a bemused eye on things.

foa-20.jpg

Kent Philharmonic Orchestra, led by Mike Gillan of GRCC

foa-21.jpg

foa-22.jpg

foa-23.jpg

foa-24.jpg

Part of the Ada Dance Academy

foa-25.jpg

Conklin Ceili Band

foa-26.jpg

Pedicabs will not be in Grand Rapids for festival this weekend, because of incompetence within the city. Already have taken a year to get to where things are now, operation was to begin yesterday and we all paid our mandatory $80 pedicab operator license fee (and the bikes received their "liasenses"), all we had to do was wait on the background check and we could begin. Apparently whoever does background checks left early and now that won't happen until Monday, just in time to miss Festival altogether. Might as well make a retail store open the day after Christmas, eh?

So, we'll probably be in Lansing, who has been more than happy to help get us out on the streets and operate. They even did a pedicab ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Im kind of dissapointed in the festival. Not so much because of a worse experience than prior years but that it is the exact same as all the other years. kind of gets boring especially when the food is god awfully priced and tasting. case in point, i got sweet and sour chix from the asian vendor and it was tyson frozen chicken nuggets (literally) with sweet and sour sauce on them, oh and did i mention it cost $3 for 3 nuggets! I'd rather have McDonalds. festival 2008 grade D-

Im kind of dissapointed in the festival. Not so much because of a worse experience than prior years but that it is the exact same as all the other years. kind of gets boring especially when the food is god awfully priced and tasting. case in point, i got sweet and sour chix from the asian vendor and it was tyson frozen chicken nuggets (literally) with sweet and sour sauce on them, oh and did i mention it cost $3 for 3 nuggets! I'd rather have McDonalds. festival 2008 grade D-

The only sour note for me is all the freakin' petition signer people. Besides that one Latina lady with the metal cart who is constantly DT approaching everyone (she even tried to interrupt the snow fencing on Thursday), there were probably 20 others, mostly plying Pearl and Ottawa. (This brought to mind the Hare Krishna scene from the movie "Airplane.")

Here's more fun.

A quartet from the Schubert Male Chorus (there are several dozen more guys in the whole group). Friends of mine: the one with the most hair, and the least.

http://www.spike.com/video/somewhere-over/2990358

Here's my stylin' Festival outfit: hat, parasol (sunscreen), neck cooler, Festival fanny pack with the utility belt loaded up: water bottle holster, camera, earplugs. Comfy flip-flops. (Rave reviews on my thrift shop dress.)

foa-30.jpg

The City cop is one of my bicycle assembly buddies. We might have persuaded the deputy to join the fun at our build day this December.

foa-31.jpg

In the product tent.

foa-32.jpg

foa-33.jpg

foa-34.jpg

foa-35.jpg

An oldies band all in Hawaiian shirts, and the first time the earplugs came out.

foa-36.jpg

Nice-looking snow fence!

foa-38.jpg

L@@k, Sean, food!

foa-39.jpg

I'm sure the knife is there to help open the box of Zatarain's.

foa-40.jpg

foa-41.jpg

foa-42.jpg

foa-43.jpg

foa-44.jpg

foa-45.jpg

More after the T-storm ends.

Here's the make-yourself-a-shirt tent. Your choice of Festival logos, and the silkscreen ink-cookin' oven right there.

foa-37.jpg

Planter by the City stage

foa-52.jpg

Sit and have a beer on the veranda?

foa-51.jpg

Wonder what happened that they need video surveillance. (Wait 'til BotM starts!)

foa-50.jpg

Great day to sell sunglasses...

foa-49.jpg

and maybe some future bouquets (along with the freebies if your name is Ed or Ellen)

foa-48.jpg

Variety in the bike park: there's a trail-a-bike next to me, and a tandem on the back fence. Several 'bents, too.

foa-47.jpg

foa-46.jpg

The GR Symphonic Band looks to be low on euphs. (When one sits there listening to Sousa and "playing" along, it's time to get back in a group.)

foa-58.jpg

foa-59.jpg

Whoever did this floral display (and its twin on the other side of the entrance) deserves a medal.

foa-53.jpg

One of the "make your own sign" websites allows uploading of images. If I get that rolling, I'll let the Retail Task Force know about it.

foa-54.jpg

I never get to walk down these streets.

foa-55.jpg

foa-56.jpg

For several years, the Adult Involvement area has been out in the ozone with light ped traffic. This year, the committee moved the Georgetown waffle ice cream church folk (with the cutesy wooden shoe and faux Dutch outfits) over by this stage. And some dancers came out!

foa-60.jpg

foa-61.jpg

I love my cordless mic. Just sayin'.

foa-62.jpg

foa-63.jpg

Adult art project (spirograph-influenced).

foa-64.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I actually had a good food experience at festival!

Had a pulled pork BBQ sandwich served on what looked like a soft pretzel?

It was in front of City hall, and I forget the name of the people running it now. I want to say "something" culinary institute.

The greek food was good as well!

Our group (tai chi/kung fu) performed early Saturday afternoon at the adult involvement stage. We had a great turnout, lots of participation, and a very appreciative audience. I didn't stick around for much of the rest of Festival (too tired), but things seemed to be going well for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived