A Few Snapshots of Providence

NewTowner

A few weeks ago, I posted a call for help on this forum. I had recently learned that was going to be moving to Providence, but had never even so much as set in the foot in the place--and so was in desperate need of a little advice and perspective from Those in the Know. The people of this forum were more than kind to me, responding with helpful and friendly advice, giving me a taste not only of what Providence had to offer as a city, but also a solid sampling of the kindness and warmth its people exude.

Thank you! As a small gesture of my appreciation, I thought I would post a few snapshots I took of the city on a couple of recent visits. You offered me your informed local perspectives on the place, so please allow me to help you see it through the wide eyes of an excited and impressed visitor. I think it is safe to say that Providence is a very handsome and compelling city, easy on the eyes of both its residents and its tourists--and certainly no less good-lookin' to those people in between such as me, who know only enough about the city to know they can't wait to call it home.

These photos may perhaps be best understood as a couple of "studies" of two of the city views I found most delightful. The first was taken from my hotel room at the Westin (and believe me, a stay at the Westin is nearly an event in itself for the likes of me):

CapitolDuskSmall.jpg

CapitolDuskCloseSmall.jpg

CapitolSunnySmall.jpg

CapitolRainSmall.jpg

CapitolNightSmall.jpg

The second was taken from the Providence Place Mall, which is by far and away the best shopping mall experience I have ever sustained in this country. I normally won't set foot in the things, but this one is remarkably civic both outside and in:

FoodCourtFarSmall.jpg

FoodCourtCloseSmall.jpg

CityscapeSunnySmall.jpg

CityscapeCloseSmall.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who showed me such a warm welcome on this forum!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely photos from an angle most of us wouldn't see (we don't really have much need to be staying in the Westin). I'm interested in your praise of the mall. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt, because the reviews by locals would likely not be so glowing. Also, I assume you walked and didn't have to use the garage, which seems to be what most hate most about the mall.

Lovely photos from an angle most of us wouldn't see (we don't really have much need to be staying in the Westin). I'm interested in your praise of the mall. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt, because the reviews by locals would likely not be so glowing. Also, I assume you walked and didn't have to use the garage, which seems to be what most hate most about the mall.

A few weeks ago, I posted a call for help on this forum. I had recently learned that was going to be moving to Providence, but had never even so much as set in the foot in the place--and so was in desperate need of a little advice and perspective from Those in the Know. The people of this forum were more than kind to me, responding with helpful and friendly advice, giving me a taste not only of what Providence had to offer as a city, but also a solid sampling of the kindness and warmth its people exude.

Thanks again to everyone who showed me such a warm welcome on this forum!

Now that you are one of us keep snapping away. It is interesting to hear a visitor's take on downtown and the mall. Prov. has come a long way but it might be on the verge of even greater things in the next 10-15 years.

Have you been to water fire yet? Or narragansett and newport? or mccoy stadium? Welcome to RI. Slainte.

Now that you are one of us keep snapping away. It is interesting to hear a visitor's take on downtown and the mall. Prov. has come a long way but it might be on the verge of even greater things in the next 10-15 years.

Have you been to water fire yet? Or narragansett and newport? or mccoy stadium? Welcome to RI. Slainte.

I went to WaterFire on the last visit. To be honest, I was expecting cheese--but both the wife and I thought it was pretty magical. We particularly enjoyed the smells of the wood burning, and the temporary candle-light chandeliers hung from the underside of the bridge over by Water Place Park. I will most definitely be back to WaterFire!

As to Narragansett or Newport, the answer is no, but you had better believe I will be to both as soon as possible. I am an architectural historian/designer, and so hitting these towns (particularly Newport, obviously) is kind of a must.

Thanks for the welcome! ...and what is slainte? Are you Gaelic?

I went to WaterFire on the last visit. To be honest, I was expecting cheese--but both the wife and I thought it was pretty magical. We particularly enjoyed the smells of the wood burning, and the temporary candle-light chandeliers hung from the underside of the bridge over by Water Place Park. I will most definitely be back to WaterFire!

As to Narragansett or Newport, the answer is no, but you had better believe I will be to both as soon as possible. I am an architectural historian/designer, and so hitting these towns (particularly Newport, obviously) is kind of a must.

Thanks for the welcome! ...and what is slainte? Are you Gaelic?

Archived