Surreal things going on...

linkerjpatrick

Been noticing some surreal things going on around construction/development sites that make no sense. Look interesting but I'm confused;

1.) At the new Carolina First Headquarters and Across the street from the Woodlands near Furman I have seen these odd structures that look like sections of a building. The one across the street from the Woodlands looks like a wall of two stories but only the balconies. Thier is another slab of wall about 50 yards or so from the Carolina First building bordering the new road. What are these things? Are they used for testing, demos, what? They make no sense being so far from the projects.

2.) While driving down Duncan Chapel Road behind Furman this morning I saw not only a tree planted in the center of the Tram Trail but also some landscape stones around it! How is a Tram supposed to drive down the trail if a tree is growing in the middle of it?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't know about either of them, but I noticed something similar earlier this year at Winthrop. A new recreation facility was recently built there and at one point during the construction there was a wall standing all by itself way off to the side of the main project...I think it was eventually torn down but I never knew why it was there.

It shows materials and scale, I believe. It's definitely not permanent. Maybe someone can give a better explanation. Much like how the wall built on the corner of Church and North Street was erected for a week or two to show the Palmetto Bank HQ building's relation to the streets. It had a different purpose than showing materials, but in the same manner it's just a mock-up structure to explain what the final building will look like, etc on the site.

They are usually called sample panels....kind of like the ones you see for brick but just on a larger scale. I think they are testing out what designs will look good on the other buildings that will go behind the first two buildings. Thats how it appeared to me when I was working out there last month. It gives a better 'real' feel to the final design instead of just looking at a two dimensional rendering an architect drew up.

They are usually called sample panels....kind of like the ones you see for brick but just on a larger scale. I think they are testing out what designs will look good on the other buildings that will go behind the first two buildings. Thats how it appeared to me when I was working out there last month. It gives a better 'real' feel to the final design instead of just looking at a two dimensional rendering an architect drew up.

Sample walls are used to help illustrate what the final product will look like...they may help describe certain details, material combinations, or color selections at a larger scale than small sample boards. Usually, they are built for the owner (because it comes at their expense).

Sometimes how things look in real life can not be described near as well on paper or with models. Using the real material in a sample panel makes it more apparent whether there will be appeal for the design or not.

The Sample panels you are talking about are called Mock ups, and are built to show the product to the Architect and other parties involved with the projects. The mock ups are used to show what the finished result should look like and it gives the workers a sample to go by when constructing the project. Most mock ups are not quiet as large as the one at the Woodlands,but it is up to the architect to decide what size they want.The panel also allows for changes to be made if there is a problem tieing the project together (ex. the brick does not tie back into the other siding material properly ect.)

When these projects are drawn they look good on paper,but anyone in construction can tell you that usually alot of adjustments have to be made to the blueprints in order to complete the project.

Archived