Hooters in Downtown Charlotte

monsoon

Hooters good for downtown Charlotte  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Hooters good for downtown Charlotte

• Yes - It will serve as another magnet to bring people downtown
    • No - this is not what we need for good urban development
    • What is Hooters?

The paper seems real excited there are plans to put a Hooters in downtown Charlotte. Center city Charlotte could soon have a new tenant that's famously "delightfully tacky, yet unrefined." Do you think this is good or bad in regards to building a good urban environment in downtown?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I am not excited :lol: I can see CCP's concerns....Hooter's is not exactly the upscale and genteel image that they are trying ingrain near The Square. But since this place is not immediately adjacent to residential I don't see it being quashed like Coyote Ugly's. Hooter's will be wildly popular with young bankers, conventioneers, concert and gamegoers and husbands trying to forget about their wives.

I can't see the reasoning behind CCP's crying. It is a national tenant with name recognition that will not likely to go out of business that will bring more people onto Trade St. It will be open for lunch and open late. Might even add some excitement to the patio on Trade St. "Hooters Hooters Hooters"

Am I excited...not really. Do I think it will do well...Yes. Isn't that what the urban experience is about...diversity in things for everyone to do? Like Voyager said, it will be wildly popular with a big group of people. I am not really a Hooters guy, but whenever I have been in one, they are always full.

Downtown Charlotte is about to become the NASCAR epicenter and Hooters and Nascar go hand in hand. We have enough boring sports bars that offer nothing different from the other sports bars in town. At least Hooters has their own thing which is not replicated uptown (or much anywhere around town).

No. I am not excited :lol: I can see CCP's concerns....Hooter's is not exactly the upscale and genteel image that they are trying ingrain near The Square. But since this place is not immediately adjacent to residential I don't see it being quashed like Coyote Ugly's. Hooter's will be wildly popular with young bankers, conventioneers, concert and gamegoers and husbands trying to forget about their wives.

I feel as a city we need to be careful about being to steril in the uptown environment. I actually like the idea something like a Hooters "mixing it up" with a Morton's or a Capital Grill. With that said my negative feeling about this proposal comes more from the product offered than anything else, Hooter's food just does not appeal to me. As I posted before there was something about the Grad being a local franchise and being right on Trade that I liked, and that's something I'm going to miss.

"I couldn't care less" wasn't an option. The market will decide if Hooters stays and based on history, it seems like it might have a tough go. I know from experience that the food is nothing to write home about. I also know from experience that the shtick of the place isn't particularly interesting. Basicaly Hooters is going to fail or succeed on its own merits without regard to its location. I don't think it's inherently good or bad, just different.

i agree with krazee. Even though it isn't a name known for its high-quality posh food, it will help serve tourists (most notably NHOF) in uptown as well as give another venue for people to eat at for lunch when sitting down at a "fancy" restaurant is not otherwise convenient or practical. It is a name people will recognize and immediately embrace rather than a restaurant that isn't part of a chain. I wish we could have some more locally owned casual restaurants in uptown, but I don't think this will do anything but help foot traffic in center city. I would've much preferred Buffalo Wild Wings or Wild Wing Cafe, but Hooters will not falter.

Oh yea, and I don't believe it will specifically attract people uptown and, therefore, I don't believe that that part should be included in the poll's answer for "yes."

As much as I'm not a fan of this place (the food is horrible IMO), it may actually not be a bad restaurant to have uptown. It will give a little more diversity to the restaurant flair uptown. There's plenty of Morton's and the like to choose from as it is...

Heck yeah Hooters entering the Uptown scene is a good thing! Ya need all sorts of venues for a fun center city.

And anyway, Hooters isn't as much about butts and boobs as it is about a fun time, sports on TV, relaxing.....In Jacksonville we used to go to the downtown Hooters all the time. As a group of gays, we didn't go for the babes.:) lol we went for the fun atmosphere and good food.

Nothing wrong with Hooters at all! A little poor taste might be exactly what Uptown needs.

I would be excited about it if it weren't taking over The Grad's spot. If Hooters was taking over another chain restaurant, or moving into a new space, then I'd be all for it.

It feels like a downgrade to me, though. And I'm not talking about being anti-Hooters -- it's just that it's a national chain taking over the spot of local restaurant (albeit a bit of a dive, but how many dives to we have in Charlotte anyway?). And to lose that signage...it's my favorite sign anywhere downtown. It's just loss of a little local flair for something that you can find in other city, big or small.

It feels like a downgrade to me, though. And I'm not talking about being anti-Hooters -- it's just that it's a national chain taking over the spot of local restaurant (albeit a bit of a dive, but how many dives to we have in Charlotte anyway?). And to lose that signage...it's my favorite sign anywhere downtown. It's just loss of a little local flair for something that you can find in other city, big or small.

I am not exactly sure that AlexMichs could be classified as a dive but it is interesting to note that a restaurant such as that probably could not be opened in downtown today. They opened when real estate, even in 4th ward, was relatively inexpensive and restrictions were much fewer in what could be done with property. Given this reality this probably means that downtown (or uptown as it is now referred to) will most likely be the domain of national chains when it comes to eating establishments.

I don't really have anything against Hooters but it is disappointing that downtown is being filled with places that can be found at freeway exit.

Belles bbq was essentially the same thing and no one noticed. I think that downtown is on a dangerous path when residents feel that they can pick and choose what businesses have a right to open in a particular location. In a "real" city this would be a non issue. All successful large downtowns have a mix of chains and local eateries so I really dont see what the big deal is. The graduate chain has been withering for a few years now as newer places with better food have opened.

Belles bbq was essentially the same thing and no one noticed. I think that downtown is on a dangerous path when residents feel that they can pick and choose what businesses have a right to open in a particular location. In a "real" city this would be a non issue. All successful large downtowns have a mix of chains and local eateries so I really dont see what the big deal is. The graduate chain has been withering for a few years now as newer places with better food have opened.

I am not exactly sure that AlexMichs could be classified as a dive but it is interesting to note that a restaurant such as that probably could not be opened in downtown today. They opened when real estate, even in 4th ward, was relatively inexpensive and restrictions were much fewer in what could be done with property. Given this reality this probably means that downtown (or uptown as it is now referred to) will most likely be the domain of national chains when it comes to eating establishments.

I don't really have anything against Hooters but it is disappointing that downtown is being filled with places that can be found at freeway exit.

[quote name='InSouthPark' date='Jun 11 2008, 07:42 AM' post='984372'

quote: Some of the best dives uptown are well off the beaten path. Take Alexander Michaels for instance.

Gosh the last time I ate at Alexander Michael's it was very very nice! Please don't tell me it's gone to the dogs~~~

I'm torn on this. There are about two times per year that the places will be out of control busy. Speed Street and football season.

Then there will always be the bankers going after work in the hopes of hitting on a hottie, and your occasional conventioneer from out of town. But for the most part, I still don't think that there is that much foot traffic uptown to make this place a "destination" visit.

A Hooters is a Hooters no matter if it is in Pineville, in Gastonia or Uptown. Nothing special anymore. Kind of like the Hard Rock - it has lost its "one of a kind" atmosphere since they are accessible everywhere anymore.

Overpriced and underwhelming food. The only redeeming qualities - most of the time - are the girls!

Archived