Publix

seaty

Publix has entered into an agreement to purchase 49 Florida stores from Albertsons . The deal is expected to close in September. The rumor is that the Albertson store on thomasville road , will be a brand new Publix , that will replace the one down the street.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective..... :P

I enjoy Publix as much as the next person but doesn't this give them a near monopoly is Tally for grocery stores. I mean Winn-Dixie has been on its last leg for years. Even Wally World can't even put a dent into Publix taking over. I would really love a new publix store in that part of town (I live down the street from the old one) but for the sake of variety Publix needs some real competition and not from specialty or fancy upscale stores, just basic grocery shopping.

Oh well

This is a head scratcher for me. Both Tallahassee Albertsons are on the list. Both are within 1/2 mile of existing Publix stores.

I can see Publix wanting the Thomasville Road location, as it is a much larger property and the existing Publix there is fairly busy. But the N. Monroe street location is close to what was, when it opened 5 or 6 years ago, one of the new, state-of-the-art Publix stores. There is no way that they will actually have 2 stores that close, so they will be closing or selling one of them

I'm worried about the growing lack of grocery competition in Tallahassee.

There is a third Albertson's in Tally on West Tennessee that will remain open. Odd to have just one of them left, I wonder how long it will last?

After reading this, I thought maybe Publix might move into the Albertson's location on T'ville Road. Much better visibility (if Publix really needs that) and much much better parking plus that store was looking rather dated. I hope the RRM is correct about them moving.

As for the North Monroe location..there goes another vacant building in that corridor. When will it stop? I believe Publix will remain at the Lake Ella location. This would be a great location for Publix's Greenwise store. I wonder if down the road that is what they have in mind? I doubt w/their own brand of organic stores if they'd sell it to Whole Foods.

Finally I agree, while I'm a Publix shopper, a little competition in the food market couldn't hurt.

There is a third Albertson's in Tally on West Tennessee that will remain open. Odd to have just one of them left, I wonder how long it will last?

After reading this, I thought maybe Publix might move into the Albertson's location on T'ville Road. Much better visibility (if Publix really needs that) and much much better parking plus that store was looking rather dated. I hope the RRM is correct about them moving.

As for the North Monroe location..there goes another vacant building in that corridor. When will it stop? I believe Publix will remain at the Lake Ella location. This would be a great location for Publix's Greenwise store. I wonder if down the road that is what they have in mind? I doubt w/their own brand of organic stores if they'd sell it to Whole Foods.

Finally I agree, while I'm a Publix shopper, a little competition in the food market couldn't hurt.

^Good news. I hope they are right about that info. Only problem w/having 2 Publix Greenwise stores is that would probably make it harder for Whole Foods to move to town. Do we really want Publix controlling the grocery and specialty/organic food market in this area? Don't get me wrong, I've been a Publix shopper for over 20 years and love the place, but monopoly can never be a good thing can it? I'm thinking Comcast and COT utilities here. :)

I've been sitting on this for a while. I wanted to share it with you guys, but those pesky confidentiality agreements are a good incentive not to say a word! ;)

I dont know much about what they plan on doing with the existing stores as of yet, but do know that Publix is wanting to expand their Greenwise stores aggressively in the coming 3-5 years. Ive heard, as capo said, that the Albertsons on T'ville may become a Greenwise store. The Publix on T'ville/319 is being remodeled slightly. I would almost think that it may be a better location for the Greenwise, and then move the Publix to the Albertsons. But who knows.

Here's a list of the stores that Albertsons is selling to Publix:

2770 West Bay Drive, Belleair Bluffs

26841 S Tamiami Trail, Bonita Springs

4651 Cortez Road, Bradenton

127 Cape Coral Parkway, Cape Coral

1735 NE Pine Island Road, Cape Coral

26583 U.S. Highway 19 N, Clearwater

1921 N Belcher Road, Clearwater

1295 S Missouri Ave., Clearwater

10018 Griffin Road, Cooper City

2201 University Drive, Coral Springs

2100 Saxon Blvd., Deltona

16970 San Carlos Blvd., Fort Myers

13401 Summerlin Road, Fort Myers

610 N Eglin Parkway, Fort Walton Beach

3930 SW Archer Road, Gainesville

870 Village Oak Lane, Heathrow

12101 Little Road, Hudson

17400 Alt. A1A, Jupiter

1566 Bella Cruz Drive, Lady Lake

3825 East Bay Drive, Largo

13031 Walsingham Road, Largo

2381 State Road 434, Longwood

8833 N Tamiami Trail, Naples

3350 Tamiami Trail E, Naples

7524 Dr. Phillips Blvd., Orlando

440 N Orlando Avenue, Orlando

10250 Curry Ford Road, Orlando

4950 Belle Terre Parkway, Palm Coast

35439 U.S. Highway 19 N, Palm Harbor

500 E Lake Road, Palm Harbor

1101 Eighth Ave. W, Palmetto

9005 U.S. Highway 301 N, Parrish

5055 N Ninth Ave., Pensacola

2180 W Nine Mile Road, Pensacola

9251 University Parkway, Pensacola

5998 Mobile Highway, Pensacola

4701 Park Blvd., Pinellas Park

1181 S University Drive, Plantation

4840 S Tamiami Trail, Sarasota

3610 U.S. 27 N, Sebring

7880 113th St., Seminole

1075 S Pasadena Ave., South Pasadena

3700 Fourth St. N, St. Petersburg

3030 54th Ave. S, St. Petersburg

3900 66th St. N, St. Petersburg

1925 N Monroe St., Tallahassee

3521 Thomasville Road, Tallahassee

8701 W Hillsborough Ave., Tampa

3838 Britton Plaza, Tampa

• 4 weeks later...

My little brother works at the Albertsons on Thomasville road, has anyone heard if and when Public will have a "career day" type thing to hire on the existing Albertson workers for current and future locations? I recall the guys at the Albertsons on Monroe talking about it.

• 4 weeks later...

There are some things I got at Albertson's that aren't carried by either WD or Publix. So I'm going to have to do without. There's no more Food Lion and only two Harvey's stores left, right (I've found Harvey's to be dingy at best so I don't shop there)? And there's a no-frills place on south Monroe. That's about all the alternatives other than Wally-world unless you want to drive to Quincy at check out Piggly Wiggly (which I do from time to time since it's a pretty short drive from where I live). The Quincy Piggly Wiggly uses an Alabama distributor so there are some products neither WD nor Publix carry for whatever it's worth.

In my case, since I work the night shift and get off work at 11pm, my sole choice for a late-night grocery run that's on my route home is Winn Dixie on N. Monroe which closes at midnight. At least until the super Wally-World opens.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what will happen to the Albertons on Monroe St? Its hard to imagine they would put a publix that close to the Lake Ella Publix...I am hoping for one of the new publix greenwise stores to open up. Guess thats the best we can do without Whole Foods.

Anyone know what will happen to the Albertons on Monroe St? Its hard to imagine they would put a publix that close to the Lake Ella Publix...I am hoping for one of the new publix greenwise stores to open up. Guess thats the best we can do without Whole Foods.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey looks like the Democrat found out that Publix wants to make the Albertson's on North Monroe a Greenwise store.

Publix to Open GreenWise Market in Tally

However the article gives no opening date projection nor does it say what Publix plans to do w/what will be the vacant Publix store in Killearn.

It is interesting to note that Tally is getting on the GreenWise store band-wagon early. Currently there are only 2 of these stores in operation: WPB and Boca Raton w/a third planned for the Tampa area.

Hey looks like the Democrat found out that Publix wants to make the Albertson's on North Monroe a Greenwise store.

Publix to Open GreenWise Market in Tally

However the article gives no opening date projection nor does it say what Publix plans to do w/what will be the vacant Publix store in Killearn.

It is interesting to note that Tally is getting on the GreenWise store band-wagon early. Currently there are only 2 of these stores in operation: WPB and Boca Raton w/a third planned for the Tampa area.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived