Proposed I-12 Widening

richyb83

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I'm talking about! Ye ask...ye shall receive! Here it is...It's finally Baton Rouge's turn!!! All the "table scraps" that BR has got before simply will not do anymore; it is going to be a thing of the past! BR will arrive!

Interstate projects are top priorities for legislative delegation

The Capital Region Legislative Delegation has come out with a list of three transportation projects on which it says the state should spend surplus money. The delegation favors construction of an interchange at Interstate 10 and Pecue Lane, widening I-12 from Denham Springs to Walker and widening I-10 from Siegen Lane to La. Highway 73 in Ascension Parish. Rep. Steve Carter, the Baton Rouge Republican who heads the 26-member delegation, says it's time for the area to get what it needs. "The Capital Region has been overlooked when it comes to substantial transportation infrastructure investment for years," he says

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

• 3 months later...

Wonder how much further will $20million take it to the east?? As far as Juban Road?? I-12's widening must go further than Range Ave...so this is good news; every little bit helps!

News Alert: Jindal to invest surplus funds in I-12 widening

Gov. Bobby Jindal announced plans to use nearly $246 million in surplus funds for a variety of road projects, including $20 million more for additional Interstate 12 widening in Livingston Parish. A $100 million project is underway to widen I-12 to Range Avenue. Jindal says the new money will extend the work further into Livingston. The list of projects, which was compiled by the DOTD, also includes additional funds for extending Interstate 49 north and south.

Did I miss something here?? Widening from the 10/12 split?? I think WBRZ made an error...the $100million is from O'Neal Lane...the bridges will be a big chunk of that money; the extra $20million may extend the widening to Pete's Hwy? About a mile east of Range Ave

Surplus money to extend I-12 widening

Gov. Bobby Jindal plans to use surplus money to lengthen the widening of Interstate 12 in Livingston Parish, but it won't be widened as far as a lot of drivers would like. About $100 million is already dedicated to widening I-12 from the split to Range Avenue in Denham Springs. News 2's Claire Hatty reports on the details of the project.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/wbrz/videos/43006677.html

• 1 month later...

Good to see the persistence; refusing to give-up!

Lawmakers want extension to Juban Road interchange

Baton Rouge area lawmakers are scrambling to find about $25 million to extend the widening of Interstate 12 to Juban Road. The interstate expansion is now set to end at Denham Springs, which lawmakers say will not provide enough traffic relief.

The new bridges over the Amite River is going to cost more than the pavement widening. That's why this cost so much per mile to build, and it's why only another $70 mil would take it all the way to Walker.

Those bridges are the $$problem with the money's; but also the solution; if the do like the new Hwy 190bridge a couple miles north ...making one continuous bridge; instead of(bridge) mid ground then bridge/catch basin; this was clogging up the river around I-12 and helping flood western Denham Springs even more!

• 3 months later...

Not to beat a dead horse...but I-12 has to be widened to at least Juban Rd between Walker & Denham Springs. Looks like it's one step closer to reality...

Livingston Parish gets more than $15 million, more money for I-12

Livingston Parish received more than $15.4 million in federal and state grants for hurricane recovery, hazard mitigation and infrastructure improvements. Gov. Bobby Jindal ceremonially presented the money to parish officials today. The biggest chunk was nearly $11.3 million in federal Community Development Block Grant funds, to help with the recovery from hurricanes Gustav and Ike. An additional $4 million was also awarded to the parish, to pay for hazard mitigation projects to protect from future hurricane damage.

Jindal also announced there was an additional $7 million in federal stimulus money for Interstate 12 widening. The money became available after bids for stimulus work came in under budget. The savings will be used to pay for widening I-12 westbound to Pete's Highway, and eastbound from Pete's Highway to Juban Road. Jindal says if the bids are good, the state may be able to widen both sides of I-12 all the way to Juban Road.

• 1 month later...

What's up with this??

State plans signals to ease I-12 entries

The state plans to put traffic signals on entrance ramps along Interstate 12 between Baton Rouge and Walker to ease congestion, officials said Friday. The aim is to create space between vehicles merging onto the interstate, which is undergoing a $131 million widening project from O'Neal Lane through Juban Road.

The ramp signals, which are common in larger cities such as Houston, are the first of their kind in Louisiana. If they work as expected here the signals would be added to ramps along I-10 in Baton Rouge and elsewhere. This is good for our transportation system, Ankner said Friday.

The traffic signals, called ramp meters, will force cars and trucks to proceed one at a time along entrance ramps onto I-12, roughly at four-second intervals. IF THIS WORKS?? They would be installed on 16 ramps at nine interchanges between Essen Lane in Baton Rouge and the Walker/La. 447 exit.

The eastbound ramps at Juban Road and Walker would be excluded because the amount of traffic does not justify the meters, state officials said. The meters are set to operate primarily during peak commute times westbound from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and eastbound from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/64656092.html

• 5 months later...

I am not a proponet of those on-ramp traffic meters...we stop too much already...hear they are no longer used in parts of Texas??

Looks like this is for real...sure would be nice if they could just 8-lane I-12 to Hammond/I-55

I-12 widening in budget

Widening I-12 to Walker meets a longtime goal of lawmakers, motorists and others who grapple with daily traffic jams.

“My colleagues across the state are aware of our problem here on I-12,” Erdey said. “They understand this is a much-needed project not only locally but also the region.”

Two other I-12 projects are already under way or in the planning stages.

One is widening I-12 from O’Neal Lane to just east of Pete’s Highway, including a new bridge over the Amite River. It is set for completion in April, 2012 and set to cost $110 million.

Another project would widen I-12 from just east of Pete’s Highway to Juban Road at a cost of $37 million.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/89970482.html

The problem with those on ramp meters is that they back traffic up onto surface streets and they can't really be used on clover leaf intersections like Airline (unless they make a seperate feeder lane for the leafs...expensive).

I think it will only help with moderate traffic situations. During rush hour....it won't help at all.

As frustrating as it sounds, the widening out to Walker on 12 and out to Highland on 10 will help with the rush hour woes....but it will also make the 10/12 split more dangerous. Next step would be to widen and replace sections of I-10 between downtown and the split unfortunately. No way to avoid that at this point that I can see.

Even adding shoulders to the elevated sections would be so costly that they might as well add a 4th lane in each direction.

I wouldn't want to be a commuter when that happens.

It might be worth considering extending Hooper to Watson, and maybe making another link into Livingston south of I-12 on Tiger Bend or something.

Otherwise, I think the green light plan tackles many of the EBR specific problems. I don't see there being that much more development along Perkins and Old Hammond (recently widenened) that would require even more added lanes. Other than smaller road improvements, I think the next step for BR is clearly mass transit of some kind.

I don't know how we managed without bluebonnet/coursey connection for so long....

I'd still like to see the feeder roads eliminated on Florida Blvd and the main traffic lanes moved to the edge o the right of way....as counter productive as that sounds. i think it would revitalize the area and create green space in the median.

Good idea's cajun...since the loop will probably never be built...these would be good alternatives...I think there are talks of extending Hooper Rd to Watson.

To take some stress off I-12...Widen/extend So.Harrel's Ferry(lower green) with new Amite River Bridge link to Juban Road...extend Juban Road across Hwy190/Florida Blvd( have been talks) near North Park to Lockhart Road(purple & widen Lockhart to Magnolia Bridge linking Central... It would create a by-pass for Denham Springs to all the growth to Watson; sort of "semi-loop" for western Livingston

i12altns.png

The Central Thruway linking Sullivan Road to O'Neal Lane should also help!

Yeah it's hard to imagine Coursey & Bluebonnet not connecting now...it took them waay too long...such a small extension too!

Also hard to imagine Corporate Blvd not connecting to Old Hammond Hwy

• 1 year later...

WOW! How did you do this?? Impressive...I have never attempted to remove topic & add to old one... Thanks :good:

Range Avenue on-ramp closing today

The Range Avenue ramp that enters onto Interstate 12 westbound will close at 6 p.m. today. The closing will allow crews to install temporary barriers and pavement markings. Once the ramp is reopened at 5 a.m. Thursday, traffic will shift to the newly constructed westbound lanes between Juban Road and O'Neal Lane.

• 3 months later...

I-12 widening project breaks ground in Livingston Parish

Gov. Bobby Jindal was on hand today to break ground on a $21.9 million project to widen 3.2 miles of Interstate 12, from four to six travel lanes, between Juban Road and the Walker interchange. Jindal says the project came in under bid, and the state will use the savings to widen an additional two to three miles of I-12. The project is slated for completion in the middle of 2013. "Folks from across the nation are seeing that opportunities exist in Louisiana, and they are coming to Livingston Parish to pursue their dreams and raise a family," Jindal says in a release. "That's why we've invested millions to make this region more accessible to the state and the nation. This project will reduce congestion for our people and continue to boost economic growth in the region." Through the competitive bid process, the state will save approximately $14.5 million on the project, compared to the estimated cost. Combined with funds from an existing I-12 bridge federal rehabilitation project, the savings will be used to further widen I-12, from two to three lanes, from the Walker interchange to approximately two to three miles east.

Businessreport.com

Steve3n8..you are really on top of things...don't waste anytime lol

Sure glad they decided to extend the lanes out to Walker...Range Ave & Juban Road would have been pointless...

Yesterday mornings nightmare scenario with the 18-wheeler crash blocking both east(only one lane) & west-bound lanes proves that the Florida Blvd/Hwy 190 Bridge is not enough...some can venture north way out to Magnolia Bridge(Watson/Central);but a South Harrel's Ferry Extension to Juban at Hwy 16 is really needed...a semi-loop for western Livingston; but I understand the local residents being against this wating to keep the rural-like status...

Steve3n8..you are really on top of things...don't waste anytime lol

Sure glad they decided to extend the lanes out to Walker...Range Ave & Juban Road would have been pointless...

Yesterday mornings nightmare scenario with the 18-wheeler crash blocking both east(only one lane) & west-bound lanes proves that the Florida Blvd/Hwy 190 Bridge is not enough...some can venture north way out to Magnolia Bridge(Watson/Central);but a South Harrel's Ferry Extension to Juban at Hwy 16 is really needed...a semi-loop for western Livingston; but I understand the local residents being against this wating to keep the rural-like status...

Lol, I just post it as I see it.....

A South Harrels Ferry Extension would be nice, but i don't see it happening without support/funding. I-12 needs to be widened to Hammond in my opinion, but overall this is a real economic boost to the region. :good:

"Folks from across the nation are seeing that opportunities exist in Louisiana, and they are coming to Livingston Parish to pursue their dreams and raise a family," Jindal says in a release. "That's why we've invested millions to make this region more accessible to the state and the nation. This project will reduce congestion for our people and continue to boost economic growth in the region."

I don't see how he got that just from adding two lanes on an interstate. I would save that speech for a commuter rail breaking ground.

Archived