Proposed I-12 Widening

richyb83

"Folks from across the nation are seeing that opportunities exist in Louisiana, and they are coming to Livingston Parish to pursue their dreams and raise a family," Jindal says in a release. "That's why we've invested millions to make this region more accessible to the state and the nation. This project will reduce congestion for our people and continue to boost economic growth in the region."

I don't see how he got that just from adding two lanes on an interstate. I would save that speech for a commuter rail breaking ground.

Pretty sure he was referencing the population boom going on in Livingston

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said more people are coming to Livingston. He said adding extra lanes on I-12 will help with traffic. Don't really see what the issue is.

How does that help with making it more accessible to the nation? Not an issue, I'm just curious as to why he made it sound like such a forever-changing project.

How does that help with making it more accessible to the nation? Not an issue, I'm just curious as to why he made it sound like such a forever-changing project.

He's a politician. Politicians exaggerate. Would you rather him say "gotta add more lanes because of the current and projected levels of white flight"?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

So happy to see the I-12 stretch near completion. I rode out on I-12 east a couple weeks ago, and I was quite impressed. Crazy that this type of capacity should have been here decades ago, but better late than never.

This is going to be a significant economic benefit to the region.

I was in town over the weekend and was shocked at how fast construction seemed to have progressed. It looks like the O'Neal overpass was done as well, and they are prepping for work beyond Juban road.

I hate to see Livingston adding ramps at Petes highway, but I'm glad that they chose asphalt surface over concrete for most of the freeway in LP. I'd like to see the section between Drusilla and O'neal over layed with asphalt. It's quieter and smoother than the concrete in use now.

Shocked at how much plant life is in place along the freeways in the region, and how they kept the pines, oak, cypress, and birches in the construction area intact. Starting to look like parts of Houston or Atlanta in that respect.. Keep it up please! More evergreen trees and landscaping would be great. Maybe even the occasional tree that can provide fall foliage.

They are also widening a section in Slidell. I wonder how long before the entire length of 12 is 6 lanes wide or more.

http://www.dotd.la.g...e.aspx?key=1988

DENHAM SPRINGS – Governor Bobby Jindal marked the completion today of two projects to widen I-12 from four to six lanes from O’Neal Lane in Baton Rouge to Juban Road in Denham Springs. The two projects total $146 million and widen 5.2 miles of I-12 for more than 85,000 drivers who use this area of I-12 every day. These segments are the first two projects completed in the state’s Geaux Wider program to upgrade the I-10 and I-12 corridors.

Other key highlights

• I-12 Widening between Juban and Walker is expected to be completed by Mid-2013.
  • Work began in April 2009 for I12 between O'Neal and Denham Springs.
  • Work began in August 2010 for I12 between Denham Springs and Juban.
  • Nearly $206M has been spent in the last four years to upgrade I12.

All of which I'm sure the state will foot the bill for.

Gotta love the people who move who chose to move out there. Mostly advocates for the libertarian lifestyle and lower taxes but wont pay for the increased cost of suburban infrastructure and expect it to be subsidized with state and federal dollars. The same goes for the I-12 widening. The widening was only needed due to the unsustainable suburban growth but the entire state gets stuck footing the bill to reduce the commute time of a few thousand people who chose to move there in the first place!

Gotta love the people who move who chose to move out there. Mostly advocates for the libertarian lifestyle and lower taxes but wont pay for the increased cost of suburban infrastructure and expect it to be subsidized with state and federal dollars. The same goes for the I-12 widening. The widening was only needed due to the unsustainable suburban growth but the entire state gets stuck footing the bill to reduce the commute time of a few thousand people who chose to move there in the first place!

Like how non-CATS riders have to pay for CATS riders

but the entire state gets stuck footing the bill to reduce the commute time of a few thousand people who chose to move there in the first place!

The most expensive portion was American Reinvestment and Recovery act.....so the entire country foot the bill.

Much the same way that we all pay for California's high speed rail as well as subsidized housing and cell phone plans for people who don't pay taxes and likely never will.

Hypocrisy everywhere you look. The same people blaming suburbanites for sprawl vote the guy into office who spends a fortune of other people's money subsidizing suburban growth....all this after federal government has spent the last 60 years creating reasons to move to the suburbs, buy a home you can't afford, get a grossly overpriced degree, and pump food into your gas tank.

To be fair, I-12 needed it and it wasn't only because of Livingston, it's a highly traveled corridor that affects commerce in our state.

To be fair, I-12 needed it and it wasn't only because of Livingston, it's a highly traveled corridor that affects commerce in our state.

Katrina and Rita had me convinced that I-10 and 12 need to be widened between Jacksonville and Houston. Even the rural sections are sometimes congested. I feel like the gulf coast also one of the nation's key growth corridors.

We know there aren't any passenger rail services in town....but that is inadequate nationwide.

For an area of 800,000 people, there aren't enough highway connections, IMO. I'd like a freeway going north through Natchez and into Monroe and on to Little Rock as well as another connection into either McComb or Jackson.

Archived