Proposed I-12 Widening

richyb83

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Katrina and Rita had me convinced that I-10 and 12 need to be widened between Jacksonville and Houston. Even the rural sections are sometimes congested. I feel like the gulf coast also one of the nation's key growth corridors.

We know there aren't any passenger rail services in town....but that is inadequate nationwide.

For an area of 800,000 people, there aren't enough highway connections, IMO. I'd like a freeway going north through Natchez and into Monroe and on to Little Rock as well as another connection into either McComb or Jackson.

Even during holidays, I-10 is congested most of the way to Houston.

Funny you mention that exact route:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/52705-i-insert-nuber-here/

LADOT should hire me. :hi:

Even during holidays, I-10 is congested most of the way to Houston.

Funny you mention that exact route:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/52705-i-insert-nuber-here/

LADOT should hire me. :hi:

Good call. The seems like an obvious route considering some of those fairly large Mississippi towns that don't currently have freeway access.

With Louisiana's port access and Baton Rouge's ability to handle pre-2012 Panamax vessels, I had always felt like an adequate north-south route would really help being jobs to the Mississippi delta region and improve transportation in south Louisiana significantly.

I'm also selfish. All too many trips up to Omaha for the CWS...and I end up having to take 61 north through every little map dot whose main taxation strategy seems to be speeding ticket revenue.

As far as freeways, Mississippi has two north-south routes. Louisiana and "Are-Kansas" have only one, and it really isn't very good. Mississippi sort of benefited from New Orleans political muscle around the time the freeways were built.

With the route you highlighted, I would only add a connector into the Houma area from Gonzales.

Good call. The seems like an obvious route considering some of those fairly large Mississippi towns that don't currently have freeway access.

With Louisiana's port access and Baton Rouge's ability to handle pre-2012 Panamax vessels, I had always felt like an adequate north-south route would really help being jobs to the Mississippi delta region and improve transportation in south Louisiana significantly.

I'm also selfish. All too many trips up to Omaha for the CWS...and I end up having to take 61 north through every little map dot whose main taxation strategy seems to be speeding ticket revenue.

As far as freeways, Mississippi has two north-south routes. Louisiana and "Are-Kansas" have only one, and it really isn't very good. Mississippi sort of benefited from New Orleans political muscle around the time the freeways were built.

With the route you highlighted, I would only add a connector into the Houma area from Gonzales.

I think it's the route that I-11o would have taken if extended, as the last image shows.

Absolutely, a much more efficient route than LA 1 currently is between Houma/Thib and Baton Rouge. With the completion of I-49 south and north, I-10, I-69, and I-14, commerce and traffic congestion would be well improved.

I have I-51 beginning in Houma and passing through Gonzales/Ascension.

It would help make Baton Rouge more marketable as a distribution center.....being dead center of the upper gulf coast and on the river, that is a nice thing to have on the resume.

It would also take some imports or even exports away from Houston as we are closer to population bases in La, Ark, Bama, and Miss.

I really like freeways, it's just the application is so backwards in many cities.

Do these people expect to have their interests favored over the well being of thousands....

:)

Either you are being facetious or you live in a bubble the past few years. Lots of highway projects are influeced by area residents....even some that have minimal impact.

You think wasting an extra few million on sound walls because some idiot built his dream home next door to a freeway will even get a second thought?

Never underestimate the government's ability (and enthusiasm) to waste our money. ;)

:)

Either you are being facetious or you live in a bubble the past few years. Lots of highway projects are influeced by area residents....even some that have minimal impact.

You think wasting an extra few million on sound walls because some idiot built his dream home next door to a freeway will even get a second thought?

Never underestimate the government's ability (and enthusiasm) to waste our money. ;)

No, I'm not surprised. I remember when the sound walls were put up near College Dr and people saying they were nearly ineffective and a waste of money.

No, I'm not surprised. I remember when the sound walls were put up near College Dr and people saying they were nearly ineffective and a waste of money.

I don't have much experience with them other than knowing one family in Bocage who are greatful for the one near them.

They seem to make a modest difference with noise, and a huge difference in aesthetics.

A sound wall in conjunction with evergreen trees and earthen embankment as a buffer zone could work well.....but there is rarely room for that in an urban area.

I find that Louisiana has a terrible habit of building concrete road surfaces where they don't belong. A suburban or rural freeway or city street should use asphalt, which produces far less noise. Seems conflicting to have sound walls and concrete roads, IMO.

I don't have much experience with them other than knowing one family in Bocage who are greatful for the one near them.

They seem to make a modest difference with noise, and a huge difference in aesthetics.

A sound wall in conjunction with evergreen trees and earthen embankment as a buffer zone could work well.....but there is rarely room for that in an urban area.

I find that Louisiana has a terrible habit of building concrete road surfaces where they don't belong. A suburban or rural freeway or city street should use asphalt, which produces far less noise. Seems conflicting to have sound walls and concrete roads, IMO.

I see. There is room for that between Siegen and Highland Rd.

Do you know how loud traffic is near LSU lakes? It's an asphalt surface but with no real buffer.

I see. There is room for that between Siegen and Highland Rd.

Looks like right of way won't be a problem....but I don't see a need for it considering the heavy vegetation and lack of housing alongside the freeway. Most of the development near the freeway is commercial.

I was thinking the area south of Highland and again between Essen and Bluebonnet might need something.

As far as new homes being constructed along side the freeway after they widen it...I think a sound wall should be on their dime.

Do you know how loud traffic is near LSU lakes? It's an asphalt surface but with no real buffer.

No idea other than noticing it when I used to run the lakes.....but when it comes to widening that area, I can't see how they can ignore the residential buildings on either side of the lake that will be 12' to 15' closer to the travel lanes.

Looks like right of way won't be a problem....but I don't see a need for it considering the heavy vegetation and lack of housing alongside the freeway. Most of the development near the freeway is commercial.

I was thinking the area south of Highland and again between Essen and Bluebonnet might need something.

As far as new homes being constructed along side the freeway after they widen it...I think a sound wall should be on their dime.

No idea other than noticing it when I used to run the lakes.....but when it comes to widening that area, I can't see how they can ignore the residential buildings on either side of the lake that will be 12' to 15' closer to the travel lanes.

I have a feeling subdivisions will pop up in place as soon as the Pecue ramp is constructed.

Sound walls should be the residents responsibility if the roadway was there prior to the home. It's foolish to pay for their happiness.

Archived