The Haps Around Town

I noticed the scheduel for the riverwalk was published in "the Hartford Downtowner" news paper. I left some stuff out so check the riverfront web site.

I do not know if anyone here has been to the dancing events, but it seems like a great place to learn to dance for free.

6-13 riverfront dancing lessons

7-11 riverfront dancing lessons

8-8 riverfront dancing lessons

6-21 Hartford Pops

7-5 fireworks

7-2? latin Jazz and Salsa festival

7-26 Opera

8-2 taste of the caribbean festival

8-16-17 Riverboat grand prix racing.

8-23 Ballet

9-6 guitar under the stars

9-20 Dragon Boat races and asian festival

9-21 India festival

9-27 Pipes in the Valley Celtic festival (a personal favorite) http://pipesinthevalley.com/

10-5 head of the riverfront rowing regatta

10-19 100th anniversary of the Bulkeley Bridge

I am going to try and hit up some more of the festivals since I happened upon pipes in the Valley and have been twice now and really enjoyed it. I am sure all of the festivals have great music and food if they are anything like pipes!

Also black eyed blues in the park was a good time. next year I will be bringing friends and lawn chairs.

anyone have anything else going on?

EDIT

yeah so the travelers championship. how could I forget?

www.travelerschampionship.com

Monday 6-16 Through Sunday 6-22 at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I was going to post that today. I have never been but I do hear good things!

Its my favorite local event. All the local brewers, including City Steam, Farmington River, Cambridge House, and Hooker, have their beers there. You can buy a pint glass for $10 or so bucks and have it filled or content yourself with the smaller sample cups. I'm not sure which, Agave did in the past, but one of the local restaurants provides food. The nice thing, besides the event, is that the money goes toward supporting the State House, which means you can claim the expense as a tax write-off. :)

Its my favorite local event. All the local brewers, including City Steam, Farmington River, Cambridge House, and Hooker, have their beers there. You can buy a pint glass for $10 or so bucks and have it filled or content yourself with the smaller sample cups. I'm not sure which, Agave did in the past, but one of the local restaurants provides food. The nice thing, besides the event, is that the money goes toward supporting the State House, which means you can claim the expense as a tax write-off. :)

I saw online that its $35 per person. is that just for the beer or is the food inclusive? My wife and I were going to get dinner out if it is not inclusive, but if it includes the grub won't make reservations. Is the $10 mug thing in addition to entrance? I would be tempted by a mug so I can fill up on the beers I like most while sampling the many varieties.

Have I ever told you guys how much I love micro brews? If it was socially acceptable to be a blithering idiot I would end up like Barney in the Simpsons.

I saw online that its $35 per person. is that just for the beer or is the food inclusive? My wife and I were going to get dinner out if it is not inclusive, but if it includes the grub won't make reservations. Is the $10 mug thing in addition to entrance? I would be tempted by a mug so I can fill up on the beers I like most while sampling the many varieties.

Have I ever told you guys how much I love micro brews? If it was socially acceptable to be a blithering idiot I would end up like Barney in the Simpsons.

$35 includes the food. The $10 dollar mug is extra, but well worth it IMHO. I should add that of the 2 times I attended, things were kinda different each year, so they may well change again this year.

I too love microbrews and 2years ago did become a bit of a blitering idiot at the event. My girlfriend is a teacher though, and that is her last day of school, so I think I will let her be the one to do it.

It is if you're my age.

I also like the microbrews. Unfortunately I work at that time on Thursday afternoon, can't make it. Hopefully next year it's a weekend, and one these days I can come down check out the brewpubs on my own. (Might be a while before I get to Hartford again.)

It is if you're my age.

I also like the microbrews. Unfortunately I work at that time on Thursday afternoon, can't make it. Hopefully next year it's a weekend, and one these days I can come down check out the brewpubs on my own. (Might be a while before I get to Hartford again.)

I can confirm that the brew fest is a good time. 19 Brewerys from Long Island to Vermont. Almost all small companys. I think the biggest was red hook maybe. or I don't know, Brooklyn. but generally good stuff. This is an event to be had with a friend or loved one so you have a person to taste with. 19 Brewerys each with between 2 and 4 flavors. There were easily 50 beers there and they pour 4 oz tasters that turn into 8 oz glasses. and well there is no shame in hitting your favorites 2-3-7 times. My wife and I likely had 30 or so varieties avoiding the ones we know all to well to "taste" (city steam, Blue Point, Old Burnside, John Harvards, Woodchuck Ciders). and there were a few good ones we missed or that ran out before we had a chance. I mean its not like we are snobs, we were just having fun but we were trying to try a bunch of new(to us) stuff.

Food was provided by Vaughns (wraps, sandwiches and brownies) Woody's(HotDogs Duh!) and the Cookhouse (pulled pork sandwich, potato salad, and chili)

The cookhouse had the best eats, but Woody's came though with the last food standing(~9:00) and well Woody has taken care of Hartfords beer drinkers for just about 30 years, so Yay Woody's!

best bear is subjective, but I was very impressed with the Cambridge House's White. I am not a real fan of the whites, but this was just damn exceptional. also their Brown was a true English Brown, and their IPA was very good. The Wife and I have plans of heading to granby some slow weekend to check out their pub! there were abouta dozen others I really liked, but Cambridge was the last one I liked so easiest to remember.

I talked to the Burnside people about pipes in the valley and well we just can not wait till then. It's going to be the biggest ever by far they say and well we loved it the last 2 years. They are adding several new food vendors, and thats the one thing we thought was a little lacking. they just run out too early. Glad to hear it is not going to happen this year!

Cheers!

I can confirm that the brew fest is a good time. 19 Brewerys from Long Island to Vermont. Almost all small companys. I think the biggest was red hook maybe. or I don't know, Brooklyn. but generally good stuff. This is an event to be had with a friend or loved one so you have a person to taste with. 19 Brewerys each with between 2 and 4 flavors. There were easily 50 beers there and they poor 4 oz tasters that turn into 8 oz glasses. and well there is no shame in hitting your favorites 2-3-7 times. My wife and I likely had 30 or so varieties avoiding the ones we know all to well to "taste" (city steam, Blue Point, Old Burnside, John Harvards, Woodchuck Ciders). and there were a few good ones we missed or that ran outbefore we had a chance. I mean its not like we are snobs, we were just having fun but we were trying to try a bunch of new(to us) stuff.

Food was provided by Vaughns (wraps, sandwiches and brownies) Woody's(HotDogs Duh!) and the cookhouse (pulled pork sandwich, potato salad, and chili)

The cookhouse had the best eats, but Woody's came though with the last food standing(~9:00) and well Woody has taken care of Hartfords beer drinkers for just about 30 years, so Yay Woody's!

best bear is subjective, but I was very impressed with the Cambridge House's White. I am not a real fan of the whites, but this was just damn exceptional. also their Brown was a true English Brown, and their IPA was very good. The Wife and I have plans of heading to granby some slow weekend to check out their pub! there were abouta dozen others I really liked, but Cambridge was the last one I liked so easiest to remember.

I talked to the Burnside people about pipes in the valley and well we just can not wait till then. It's going to be the biggest ever by far they say and well we loved it the last 2 years. They are adding several new food vendors, and thats the one thing we thought was a little lacking. they just run out too early. Glad to hear it is not going to happen this year!

Cheers!

I was also there. Mostly the same group of brewers as in years past. Some of the companies are more generous with their samples than others (I'm looking at you Farmington River). If you liked the brewfest, a similiar event (and one that I am obliged to plug because my father is heavily involved in it) is the Irish Music Festival coming up at the Irish American Home in Glastonbury on July 25th.

I was also there. Mostly the same group of brewers as in years past. Some of the companies are more generous with their samples than others (I'm looking at you Farmington River). If you liked the brewfest, a similiar event (and one that I am obliged to plug because my father is heavily involved in it) is the Irish Music Festival coming up at the Irish American Home in Glastonbury on July 25th.

My wife has been wanting to go to that, so I will take your plug as additional endorsement. Do you have a link or something?

• 2 months later...

For most of you this wouldn't be "around town", but worth a mention anyway.

The next 10 days features the year's biggest events in the Quiet Corner. The Brooklyn Fair started up today, one of the oldest country fairs in the entire country. That runs until Sunday. Then Labor Day weekend is the Woodstock Fair, which itself has been around since the 1850s.

I got some more Haps

The big ol CT River brewfest thing is coming up.

I will be there even though as buddy is having a BBQ on Saturday.

heck it is a 3 day event, how can you NOT go?

http://www.ctriverbrewfest.com/

Friday, September 5, 2008 - 1 to 10 PM

Saturday, September 6, 2008 - Noon to 10 PM

Sunday, September 7, 2008 - Noon to 6 PM

Also, this saturday there is a huge rugby match at the RENT. Team USA is in town playing the European Champion club team Munster of Ireland.

tickets are 10 bucks I think.

I unfortunately will be out of town otherwise I would be ALL OVER THIS!!!

if you do not know rugby this is a great chance to see it at a high level in your back yard.

After the game, the US Team will be at Vaughn's win or lose, so really, if you like soccer Lacrosse, or foootball, I suggest you go check this out because Rugby has most of the best aspects of these 3 sports, and you can meet the US national team downtown for a pint. how can that be a bad thing?

• 1 month later...

A reminder that Pipes in the Valley is this Saturday.

I will be there in the rain and loving it!!

Also October 4, Mark Twain House is hosting a beer tasting beer fest thing for charity. kind of like the one at the old state house but with more food options, and less peer options, but still very cool looking.

I will be there with Wifey and a few friends

www.marktwainhouse.org

• 8 months later...

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news9289.html

I saw this in the HBJ.

An artist put giant pictures all over New Haven a few years ago and apparently it was a huge success.

now he is going to do it in Hartford, but on a grander scale.

there is a photo rendering.

it will be interesting to see if he can make this happen, and interesting to see its effect on street traffic in Hartford. Aparently it made a big difference in Hartford.

• 1 year later...

I am posting this because its my other personal obsession

GO USA!

After two successful bus trips to the Meadowlands to support the United States National Team, it is time to give Foxboro some love and go to Gillette Stadium to support the red, white, and blue!

On Saturday, June 4 AO Hartford will be running a bus to Gillette Stadium for the US-Spain match at 4:30 pm. In order to bring as many of us together, the bus will be making two pick-ups, one in New Haven and one in Hartford. Our planned itinerary is as follows...

Saturday, June 4

Leave New Haven @ 10:30 AMAnna Liffey's17 Whitney Avenue New Haven CTThey will be opening at 9:30 AM for us, drinks poured breakfast available, and the bus will leave at 10:30 from the bar. Take good care of them while they are taking care of us!

Leave Hartford @ 11:30 AMLucky Lou's222 Main Street (old) Wethersfield CTThis is a different bar than we have been to in the past due to parking issues. Parking is available next door for free all day at the Keeney Memorial Cultural center. The bar is opening at 10:30, so DRINK UP and the bus will leave promptly at 11:30 for Gillette Stadium!

Arrive Gillette Stadium @ 1:30 PM (AO Tailgate fun time till 4ish)MARCH TO STADIUM @4ish (not to be missed)

Kick Off at 4:30 pm

Depart Gillette @ 7:30 PM

Arrive Hartford @ 9:30 PM (Drink at Lucky Lou's)

Arrive New Haven @ 10:30 PM (Drink at Anna Liffey's)

For the cost of $95, you will get a game ticket in the Fort with the American Outlaws, a seat on a Peter Pan coach bus, a professional and sober driver behind the wheel, 4 hours to tailgate with the Outlaws, and a safe ride home with a professional and sober driver.

If you want to purchase just a bus ride, cost is $45. If you want just a ticket, tickets are selling for $52.

Have a group of friends who are interested in going? To encourage you to bring everyone you know, AO Hartford will be giving a New Castle Brown Ale mini-keg to the person who buys the most bus seats on this trip! And yes, you can drink it on the bus ride to the game.

Payment can be made via paypal to Mike Lawlor, chapter president at [email protected], or by check or cash by contacting Mike directly.

The AO New England chapters are giving everything they got into this match, let's show them how we can support the United States!

• 4 months later...

Should be a good weekend downtown.

First, we have the airplane convention in town from Thursday till Saturday

Saturday is also Pipes in the Valley, 10th year, and looks like Burnside is planning it bigger and better than other years. Last year it was massive and this event has really been a success. this year they are adding another headliner, so thats cool, and I am sure they are expanding the events again further along the riverfront park.

Cheers!

oh yeah, I also recently read that "winterfest is confirmed for year #2"

the ice rink will be open from the day after Thanksgiving until Valentines day this year!!!!

huge improvement there, and they are expanding the hours too. also they are bringing additional lights to the park in the form of traditional twinkle lights, so everyone should be happy this year.

• 4 weeks later...

this weekend we have a crap load happening

1: Hartford marathon ~14000 runners in 5k 10k 1/2 marathon and full marathon. 7:30-2pm+

2: watching the marathon: 40,000 expected viewers in Hartford E Hartford, windsor, and West Hartford along the route. 7:30-2PM+

3: Medical Engineer convention (been in town since Thursday and there are like 5000 of em) all day all night

4: UCONN football 4:30 i think, 40k people in E hartford

5: Whale game 10-15K in XL center @7:30PM ~130

5A: some kind of matinee hockey game

6: usual bar activity on the weekend

really, there are a ton of reasons to be in Hartford tomorrow

Archived