SOBRO Whole Foods/Publix? anyone know if there are any plans...

nashwatcher

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that there is something going into Rolling Mill Hill as far as a grocer is concerned. But again, not for a couple years.

Trolley Barns are basically Rolling Mill Hill development. They are at the corner of Korean Vets and Hermitage Ave.

• 9 months later...

Nice!

Whole Foods is looking at possibly a new location in East Nashville, the Gulch, or Vandy/West End

Obviously the Gulch would be a nice central location ;)

Any of those would be great though.. especially if we get some improved mass transit in the near future..

how about south of KVB near the MCC...plenty of land for a hill center/well planned development...central to all the markets that are currently stretched in terms of having to go to green hills...

Nice!

Whole Foods is looking at possibly a new location in East Nashville, the Gulch, or Vandy/West End

Obviously the Gulch would be a nice central location ;)

Any of those would be great though.. especially if we get some improved mass transit in the near future..

I have not heard of anything recently for SoBro or RMH. SBER was in discussions with Publix for RMH on parcel J at KVB and Hermitage and there was an interest (2 years ago). Whole Foods and Harris Teeter passed at the time. SBER thought a trolley barn conversion could work for this kind of retail if Lea Street could be extended to the north and connected through Parcel K to KVB, generally in the vicinity of the now closed Crockett Street, perhaps 140' east of where Crockett street is. Without the connection, the retail in the barns was challenging because the peak demand created plus the projected demand from Parcel K really hampered the functionality of Hermitage.

I think a Whole Foods would be great in East Nashville since they already have other options. The Gulch would be better served by a pocket sized Kroger, or Public's. Whole Foods is nice and all, but if i was a resident of the Gulch i would want a store with everyday options, not just high end stuff. I think the H.G. Hills Urban Market at the base of Viridian is the role model for what is needed in the Gulch. All of the people in the Gulch need a place to get t.p. for $.99, not just all organic toothpaste that is $9 a tube.

^ I agree about having everyday options.. but I think something like an urban Target nearby (Charlotte?), with Whole Foods in the Gulch would suffice.

I was walking around last night thinking.. with all the retail spaces already built.. along with all those planned to be built for the Gulch.. if they do a good job at filling those up.. someday this area could actually resemble the Hill Center at Green Hills, but like, maybe 3 times the size, and with residential added in.

There are plenty of open lots currently where Whole Foods could easily fit ;)

As for East Nashville.. even though they already have the residential to support a Whole Foods.. from what i've read.. it sounds like the Turnip Truck suits them fine for now.. and maybe even fits in better with the existing retail (and existing residents?).

• 2 months later...

There has been discussion of something possibly in the trolley barn development. I would think that is a couple of years off. I have also heard the Fresh market is looking to open a small store in the gulch.

I've heard that Trader Joe's is looking at the current location of the Velocity sales center on 11th Ave.

• 1 year later...

I've heard that Trader Joe's is looking at the current location of the Velocity sales center on 11th Ave.

Trader Joe's has a sign on the building saying it's for lease. It's possible that the sign refers to another property owned by the same company, but this could mean that they're looking to move somewhere else. Anybody have any further info?

Edit: Nevermind, it appears to be an empty space in the same building.

Whole Foods has said no to anymore stores in Nashville. I think Cool Springs is next. Publix said no to downtown. They are suburban stores. They were rumored to have looked at the lot off of Gateway Blvd where the DES building is.

SEC

Whole Foods already has a store in Cool Springs and are there stores are located in the heart of Cities all over the US. For example there is a store in Columbus Circle in NY, 4th Street (Soma) in San Francisco, several in the DC market (in the City), Denver at Capitol Hill and the flagship store in Austin on Lamar in heart of downtown. It is not that they don't do downtown stores, it is more that Nashville cannot support one currently.

I have not seen anyone mention the new Turnip Truck grocery that will be located in the gulch. If someone posted it earlier and I missed it I am sorry.

P2 is probably correct. I should have looked at their website before posting and I was not aware the Cool Springs location was open yet. Shows how long its been since I have been there! I think one concern about downtown is the homeless. I remember going to the H.G. Hill store inside the Viridian and clerks telling me half of the job was trying to keep the homeless from stealing. That is why we do not have a downtown grocery store. The hotels don't want it either. During my most recent five years in hotels from 2003-2008 Hotel managers would have a fit every time they saw a family bring groceries to their room. It meant less revenue in the hotel restaurants. When I was in hotels from 1988-1990. It was the same thing. Hotels resent tourists eating outside the hotel. I remember one manager arguing with a guest why they should eat in the hotel restaurant rather then walking up to the Southern Cafe.

SEC

• 3 weeks later...

The Turnip Truck location in the Gulch is slated to open in October. Should be about 9,000 square feet, easily 2.5 times the space of the Five Point T-Truck on the east side. This will be downtown's version of Whole Foods/Trader Joe's. And I sure hope everybody supports the Truck. It's owned by a local man (John Dyke) who is willing to invest in downtown. He'll need our support. On a similar theme, I get the impression the Urban Hill Market continues to do a very respectable business. I try to buy a few items there at least once every two weeks. It's pricey but the atmosphere and vibe are stellar. And every time I go, there is a very good crowd.

WW

If at some point the wife and I could ever move to the Gulch, this is one reason why. I could walk from my condo unit directly to a grocery store. Living in the city is an experience I always wanted and have never had. This indeed will be a cool thing. Two things are preventing this: A full time job and a real estate market rebound. Both, I am afraid are years away.

SEC

Archived