Water/Hydrogen as fuel additive in gas engines

Raintree21

I've seen a couple of websites about combining water and another substance (sometimes something as simple as baking soda) to form a variation of Hydrogen gas which is injected into a gasoline engine to increase fuel efficiency. The websites promise at least a 50% increase in gas mileage and in some cases, 100-200% increases. A local news station had a story on one guy who did it on his old car and now gets about 70 miles to the gallon. Has anyone else heard about this technique? Does it really work or is it just a gimmick? Is it safe for your car?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would assume it would only work if you had some complicated and expensive system in your car.

My first car was an 1100 dollar 93 Pontiac on the side of the road. The thing went about a quarter of a mile before stalling out due to windshield wiper fluid being in the tank. The entire system had to be flushed and cleaned out before the car could run again.

The problem I have with all of these ways to increase mpg is that if they really worked miracles as they claimed then don't you think everyone would be doing it and that it would be plastered all over the national news and not just the local news?

I understand the stigma behind it and why people would steer clear out of fear. People are afraid of bringing water anywhere near their gas due to problems they would encounter as alluded to by Lowerdeck. However, from what I've read, the water doesn't mix with the fuel. It's separate from it and only the "hydrogen gas" is injected into the fuel system.

Archived