Hartford Crime

Chessplayer

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Page A2 of the Courant this morning... in case you did not see it: http://www.courant.com/news/local/columnis...,3116101.column

I know people are still optimistic about Hartford, but with stories like this it's just getting tougher and tougher. About how much longer will it be before people finally have had enough and make drastic changes for the better of the city and its people?

Page A2 of the Courant this morning... in case you did not see it: http://www.courant.com/news/local/columnis...,3116101.column

I know people are still optimistic about Hartford, but with stories like this it's just getting tougher and tougher. About how much longer will it be before people finally have had enough and make drastic changes for the better of the city and its people?

A nice column. Its a shame that this stuff happens. It's a shame that good people are trying to live here and are being scared away by the bad. it really is. An article like this makes me even more sure that there needs to be more housing in the CBD. I know in my heart that if there is a larger residential population in the safest most central spot, it will keep the trouble away simply by the strength of eyes on the street and the strong tax bast those people bring. this city can never afford to lose safety in the downtown.

once this is established the endge areas like Asylum Hill or north Frog Hollow, or Charter Oak will have a safe playground. a concentration of safety to grow from. and those edge places will become safer for their proximity to the downtown core. untill then however the brave pioneers will be a little isolated, and may well be burnt out. I sincerely hope that a few more major downtown projects can get started n the coming years. Hartford is near a tipping point. some would say tipping back into mayhem, some would say forward into prosperity. I think both are possible still.

Luca, Thats just crazy!

I would have ben so pissed if I were in your situation I might go and get myself arrested.

It is so true that this city needs to just bite the bullet and hire cops.

hire cops from other cities, and hire cops out of academy. hire hire hire

According to the chief we need 50% more than we have! 200 cops is a whole lot of protection

with those extra cops I am sure that this guy who had his house broken into and car stolen would have been a higher priority. Not to mention that more time could be spent on solving crimes rather than just responding to them.

"When he says, "The problem in the city is solvable," he uses his teenage experience as evidence. He argues that just as his coach made the difference to him, today's teachers must serve as part-time parents. His answers for Hartford also include getting help and support from the city's suburbs."

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy this. Its this kind of thinking that has created the unfavorable social conditions in Hartford today. People need to be responsible for themselves and their children... not teachers... not people in the suburbs. Only until this kind of responsibility is taken by residents of Hartford will things get better. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

So yes, you are right "people need to be responsible for themselves and their children" but they're not and they cant just magically change!!! Someone needs to step in and teach them otherwise they'll never be able to teach responsibility to their own kids. I'm glad the police force is expanding, but what makes me really excited is when our money is spent on fighting the real issue with things like the 5 magnet schools (The Learning Cooridor) in the south end.

• 2 weeks later...

This one's another black eye: http://www.courant.com/community/news/hfd/...0,7872611.story

One murder, six others shot at the West Indian pride parade. This IIRC is Hartford's 20th or 21st homicide this year. Five of the seven shot were minors.

What is it going to take for people to put down the guns and stop shooting each other for no good reason?

This one's another black eye: http://www.courant.com/community/news/hfd/...0,7872611.story

One murder, six others shot at the West Indian pride parade. This IIRC is Hartford's 20th or 21st homicide this year. Five of the seven shot were minors.

What is it going to take for people to put down the guns and stop shooting each other for no good reason?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.courant.com/community/news/hfd/...0,2587100.story

not a nice crime.

why do people have to pick on old people?

and to pistol whip old people? I mean seriously? just point the gun and demand the money.

I am sure this dude would have given up the cash, just like the deputy mayor would have as well.

the uneccesary violence is the stupidest part.

Most recent totals since 08/09

Murder: 20 as compared to 19 in 2007

Rape: 45 as compared to 41 in 2007

Robbery: 350 as compared to 402 in 2007

Agg Assault: 504 as compared to 423 in 2007

Burglary: 587 as compared to 745 in 2007

Larceny: 2538 as compared to 2880 in 2007

Auto Theft: 875 as compared to 952 in 2007

Shooting Incidents: 112 as compared to 89 in 2007

Shooting Victims: 149 as compared to 97 in 2007

I just did a little math, and these numbers are kind of scary. so far in 2008 there have been 3.5 shootings a week leaving 4.6 people injured.

Four more shooting victims in just the last few hours. One victim on Sterling street, critical condition, in surgery, shot multiple times, at least once in the chest. One victim on Cornwall Street,non-life threatening wounds, one victim on South Marshall street, critical condition, shot four times in the chest with a 45 caliber and one victim on South Marshall, unknown condition. And all before the curfew started at 9PM.

As a side note, the Mayor apparently killed the Council's appropriation to re-open the libraries , so they will stay closed unless something changes

I have no confidence in that whatsoever.

Not like it makes much sense. Saturday's attack at the parade was in broad daylight with a huge crowd around. Then you have people over 18 who are committing murders at any time they feel like it. Then you have the fact that kids don't care and will run out into the streets regardless of what the cops might do... that's why there's this murder problem in the first place.

On a side thought: New Haven and Bridgeport must be happy that Hartford is stealing all the media attention, those two are having awful years as well. Where's the spotlight down there?

the night time curfew is not supposed to affect what happens during the day. i don't see a connection between what happens during the day and whether or not the curfew is useful or not useful. they are two separate issues and are mutually exclusive. if the violence has been curtailed at night due to the curfew, it's a good idea. no?

how about Maybe...

if the violence during pre curfew times spikes making it no longer safe to be out during the day time I say the curfew is not a good idea.

but really, no matter what happens with the gun violence trends, I think a curfew is a good idea simply as a statement of force.

the whole state knows that the police and govt and good citizens are fed up. this tends to make the crims slow down because they know they will be more harshly prosecuted etc...

not a huge change, but maybe a little slow down

Archived