Charlotte gets more Train Service

monsoon

Most of you know the NCDOT also operates a rail division that provides daily train service between Raleigh and Charlotte. There are two train routes. One leaves Raleigh each morning then returns and the other leaves Charlotte each morning and heads to Raleigh DC and NYC. These trains have become very popular and as a result governor Easley has announced there will be a 3rd daily train started between the cities. More information here. Eventually these trains will be boarded at the planned Gateway train station on W. Trade.

futureservmap.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With rising gas prices and greater congestion on our highways, I am glad to see that the state is reacting by adding this new service. I will say that without infrastrucutre improvements I wonder how efficient this midday service will be. Freight service is already at a critical point with regards to congestion and another passenger train adds to it. They can't build the high speed rail fast enough, but this is a great step in the right direction.

The fundamental problem is that when you get to Raleigh, there is not intracity rail to connect to. There are multimodal options, but it is a deterrent. I would have taken the train up to Richmond last weekend, but they have a horrible suburban Amtrak station. I couldn't have paid my friends to come out there and pick me up.

On a side note, I live right by the railyard, and I can tell you that it is ALWAYS punctual. 7:20am, the whistle blows. That's how I know I am late for work.

I meant this thread, not the new train service :)

Airports are fundamentally different from train stations, however, European stations often have rental car service at the major stations. If we had the volume, its not unreasonable to expect the same here.

In the case of Charlotte, Trains can easily just roll straight into downtown. Just there's no place for passengers to get on and off. Planes can't do that, it's physically impossible, unless someone wants to let a 767 taxi 9 miles down Wilkinson. For trains, the tracks are there, the space for a station is there, so why not take full advantage of it? The fact that the airport is far away definiteily IS an issue with flying, but it can't be helped. With trains, it can be.

This is one of the main benefits of train travel: being dropped off conveniently in the center of town. And Charlotte isn't taking advantage of that. For example, Arriving in New York by Amtrak at Penn Station puts you right in the center of midtown Manhattan, exactly where you want to be; whereas, regardless of what airport you use (LGA, JFK, or EWR) you're a (costly) train ride with at least one transfer, or a crowded bus ride, or a very expensive cab ride away in . Same for Chicago, San Francisco, basically every city in the US that I can think of. Even DC, with DCA, you at least have to get on the metro to get into town, while Union Station is reasonable walking distance (less than a mile through pretty nice urban neighborhoods) from the Mall, the Capitol, the Convention Center, the basketball arena, you name it.

In addition, while a bus line does run down North Tryon, you don't have direct access to many parts of the city from there - you have to ride it downtown and transfer. And, there's basically nothing of note within walking distance of the North Tryon station. A station downtown would gives you immediate access to nearly all of the city's public transit, and would puts you within walking distance of businesses, shops, government, sports, etc.

When I have used the Amtrak in the past to ride up to Raleigh I usually either had a friend pick me up or took a cab to get to my final destination. Unfortunately CAT (the local bus service) doesn't serve the Amtrak station in Raleigh and the nearest bus stop is a few blocks away...you have to walk even further if you want a bus that heads towards downtown.

There is another option though. If you have bicycle then you can take it on the train with you for $5 extra. They treat it as checked baggage. So when you arrived downtown would be a short bike ride away.

In addition, while a bus line does run down North Tryon, you don't have direct access to many parts of the city from there - you have to ride it downtown and transfer. And, there's basically nothing of note within walking distance of the North Tryon station. A station downtown would gives you immediate access to nearly all of the city's public transit, and would puts you within walking distance of businesses, shops, government, sports, etc.

^And that is why Amtrak doesn't really care where the station is located. The service they provide here is pretty lacking as it is in most of the country. The service that Charlotte does get that is convenient and which will be getting the extra route is the NC sponsored trains that depart during the day, The Piedmont, The Carolinian, and now the 3rd mid day train.

Archived