Charlie Gone!?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stations with specialized or limited formats do not seem to catch on well in the Greenville area.

WORD is still broadcasting on its dual AM frequencies 950 and 1330. Does one expect to keep all three frequencies going, or will the AM signals make way for other formats?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still mourning the loss of Charlie. Although it still was not the greatest station, it was better than anything else in Greenville (yeah, that's not saying much).

The only station still worth listening to is Sunny 103.5 out of Greenwood. Despite it's name, it's much more hip with the music and variety it plays than most adult contempoary stations. Just wish it didn't cut in and out in the Greenville area --- or someone would use the sense to bring the station to Greenville. It would mop up My 102.5 and Magic 98.9.

The 30-something generation doesn't have anything good to listen to in Greenville!

Nearly 10 years ago I came up with a great idea for a radio station: "No Repeat Radio". You could easily go 60 days without repeating a single song, playing music from a wide variety of genres. Charlie FM was pretty darned close, but their playlist was still too small.

Of course, that would've required some sophisticated software to create the playlist, and that technology wasn't quite available back then. Nowadays I can go 48 days (17,500 tracks) without listening to the same song in my own library using iTunes.

Nobody here listens to WNCW? I'd say it's easily the best station around...it's the only thing I'll listen to on the radio. Everything else is crap. 88.7 usually comes in alright, but I think it comes in a little better here on something like 97.3.

NPR talk radio in Greenville would have about 10 listeners. It would never make it. Heck, they can't even make it in liberal parts of the country. Let's face it. Talk radio is only profitable for the conservative side. Liberals complain about conservative talk radio and for some reason want equal time. To that I say if you had enough listeners, liberal talk radio would be worthwhile. By the way, WNCW is great, especially when they are playing bluegrass. I also like 90.1, when they are playing classical music. I turn the station off when the news come on. I am sure you can guess why. I also like beach music, so 103.3 is nice in the afternoons. But, if I want to hear really good music, out come my CD's or I turn on the XM radio.

By the way, WNCW is great, especially when they are playing bluegrass. I also like 90.1, when they are playing classical music. I turn the station off when the news come on. I am sure you can guess why. I also like beach music, so 103.3 is nice in the afternoons. But, if I want to hear really good music, out come my CD's or I turn on the XM radio.

NPR talk radio in Greenville would have about 10 listeners. It would never make it. Heck, they can't even make it in liberal parts of the country. Let's face it. Talk radio is only profitable for the conservative side. Liberals complain about conservative talk radio and for some reason want equal time. To that I say if you had enough listeners, liberal talk radio would be worthwhile. By the way, WNCW is great, especially when they are playing bluegrass. I also like 90.1, when they are playing classical music. I turn the station off when the news come on. I am sure you can guess why. I also like beach music, so 103.3 is nice in the afternoons. But, if I want to hear really good music, out come my CD's or I turn on the XM radio.

Funny I did not think that SCERN's purpose was to be profitable, rather it was to provide Educational Radio Network.

But if you think NPR is only "liberal news", then I guess you haven't heard the great shows like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, The Business, Click & Clack, Radio Reader, etc.

I don't listen to radio much but that's mainly because I typically work from home so I am not on a daily commute in a vehicle. If I'm listening to music at home it's typically from my CD collection or streaming over the intertubes.

NPR Classical is wonderful! Performance Today in the morning has recordings of recent performances that are outstanding, and can't be found anywhere else. Then Your Day with Diana Daniels comes on at noon, and my hand reaches for the power button because they have truly the worst music and production values (not to mention Diana Daniels exaggerated voice). Then, one o'clock rolls around and Afternoon Classics. The World, which is world news is on at three, and All Things Considered from four to six. There is a good deal of news on SCERN, and it's actually news, unlike WORD.

UP folks might enjoy checking out Walter Edgar's Journal on Fridays at noon on SCERN. He's the guy who wrote South Carolina: A History and it's a very interesting show with things relevant to SC.

Archived