Are we just fooling ourselves?

New Name

Instead of a refund...I think you should offer a solution to the problem...the obvious solution that CATS needs to do a better job of adding capacity to the LYNX when they have special events. In your case it was CMS Graduation at the Arena. If it weren't for that you most likely would have had plenty of space on the rail line. Sounds to me like you have hit a dead end with [CATS Guy] and really should go above him and hit up the people on TSAC and MTC and suggest they put in a policy for Capacity Expansion of LYNX in response to Arena and Special Events downtown. Right now no policy exists for Arena and Special Events. I have some ideas if you would like to talk offline.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Instead of a refund...I think you should offer a solution to the problem...the obvious solution that CATS needs to do a better job of adding capacity to the LYNX when they have special events. In your case it was CMS Graduation at the Arena. If it weren't for that you most likely would have had plenty of space on the rail line. Sounds to me like you have hit a dead end with Larry Kopf and really should go above him and hit up the people on TSAC and MTC and suggest they put in a policy for Capacity Expansion of LYNX in response to Arena and Special Events downtown. Right now no policy exists for Arena and Special Events. I have some ideas if you would like to talk offline.

This is exactly what I am shooting for. I am hoping for a response from Ole' [CATS Guy], and at least an audience with someone who might listen to my suggestions. All I want is for someone to hear some ideas, rationalize them, and digest them. I don't want anything else, and I certainly don't want $2.80.

Uptownliving, I'll PM you, feel free to do the same. Anyone else... if I actually get to have a conversation with someone, I would be glad to bring up any other talking points you might suggest.

I am looking at a CATS ticket. It's printed on it. "All pass sales are final." which probably means you won't get a refund. Especially since you only waited for just one train.

This does however make the point that I tried to make in the other topic that CATS is operating the system like a commuter rail line to the detriment of using it as a real source of alternative transit within the city. They need to lower the pricing for people riding between New Bern and downtown, increase it for people riding from the park and ride lots and/or add a parking fee. They also need to run more frequent trains on the weekend.

^If I get an audience, the "commuter train" argument will be made. The way I see it, if the trains are packed up with "long distance" commuters from the 'burbs, us daily-users, station-jumpers, errand-runners, are out of luck. Suggestions for alternatives? Why not run a city only train from New Bern to 7th only. Also, why would they EVER have dormant trains? How much more overhead could it possibly be to run 2x trains always?

[mod edit] I edited the CATS employee name from the previous posts. Though he is in the public sector, he isn't an elected official and probably has expectations that his email communication would be kept private.

Archived