UPMC sign

TheGerbil

Had a chance to see it yet? What are your thoughts?

I think it's horrendous and sticks out like a pimple. I wrote to my city councilman this morning asking if there is anything that can be done to make UPMC remove it or at least paint it a less prominent color.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the pictures.

What does UPMC stand for anyway?

That cemetary has a fantastic view. What a waste of real estate.

As far as the sign goes... It's pretty generic. A little too generic for the iconic building of Pittsburgh. It breaks up the straight line of sight that use to take your eye all the way to the roof line. It seems to shorten the building. This building shouldn't have a sign on the top of it. It's just like the chrysler building, or the empire state building, they just should not have signage on the top. It cheapens the building and the architectural statement the building itself makes.

Just my opinion.

I totally agree, there are some buildings that should never have signs on them. I know this one is not a landmark in the way that the Chrysler Building is, but it's the tallest building in our beautiful skyline. The UPMC sign (which stands for University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, btw) draws one's eye and makes the whole scene look cheaper.

I am surprised that they approved it, I really am. At least they could have limited it to one side and kept the view from Mt. Washington unsullied.

I think I am going to continue writing to city officials (and to UPMC) in an effort to get it removed or at least painted. I have to try, even if it will likely not work.

My city councilman wrote back to me and said that decisions of the Planning Commision can be appealed through the county Court of Common Pleas. I'm not sure it would do any good for some random person to walk in and make an appeal on this issue. But it's given me an idea. Perhaps a petition sent to UPMC (and also to the Planning Commision), with enough signatures, would make an impact. If I make a petition, would you folks be willing to help spread it around by telling your friends and family about it?

Edit: And can anyone tell me if the sign is visible at night?

I think you're fighting an uphill battle here. It might get more attention to go through the media. Ask one of the newstations or paper to do an article about it. Suggest they do an opinion poll about wether people like the new sign or not. If it gets back to UPMC that the community doesn't like it maybe they would consider removing it. If everyone else is ignoring it then it's a dead issue. I don't think I'd be much help with a petition. I'm in Florida.

Your councilman is wrong that you can appeal the Planning Commission approval. That expired 30 days after the sign was approved.

The sign is not lighted at night yet. I think they plan to do that with some formal ceremony (maybe an opportunity to protest?)

It might look better at night than it does during the day.

I totally agree that they should paint the sign so there isn't such a harsh contrast.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not anti-signage... I actually like the splash of color the corporate signage provides to some of the skyscrapers... I have no opinion on UPMC on the Steel Building.. I just hope PPG or the pre-war towers are never marred by signage

Archived