Charlotte Local Television News

monsoon

Is this the formula they are all using now? (which WSOC pioneered)

Barring a disaster which we don't get often, or really bad weather then the local news is this:

• Read the police report for 10 minutes.
  • Tell us for 5-7 minutes what the weather has already done for the day. Spend the last 30 or so seconds on a very nebulous forecast.
  • Fit in some jiffy pop story like a 3 legged dog. One that doesn't have any risk or relevance.
  • 5 minutes of sports. Unless there is a race or something.
  • Rest are car commercials and news readers banter with each other.
  • Rinse and repeat every 30 minutes

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing that is most noticeable about the TV news coverage now it sounds as if Charlotte is more dangerous than Baghdad, given the almost singular focus they have on reading the day's police report. (These are charges and arrests, not the fact that an actual crime occurred.)

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know if NewsChannel 36 (WCNC) will become NewsChannel 22 when they shut down their analog signal this summer?

WCNC broadcasts their digital signal on Channel 22.

They will remain known as News Channel 36, broadcasting on Digital Channel 22, but because of PSIP - which allows "virtual" channel numbers to show up on your digital television screen - The channel will show up as 36.1. I hope that helps.

Aparently WSOC is threatening to pull from TWC. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori...23/daily19.html

Here is the e-mail sent out to customers (including me) about this:

Time Warner Cable is negotiating in good faith with WSOC-TV to keep its station on your lineup. By WSOC-TV taking this private negotiation public they are demonstrating they are no longer interested in negotiating.

WSOC-TV is looking for a broadcaster bailout during these difficult economic times. They are demanding at least FIVE TIMES MORE than other broadcasters. They are trying to make up for lower advertising revenue by adding fees that will fall, ultimately, on the backs of our cable customers. This is programming that you can get for free with an antenna or online.

WSOC-TV, NOT Time Warner Cable, will pull their programming off of your channel lineup. By law, Time Warner Cable cannot continue to carry WSOC-TV programming without their consent.

In the event this happens, many of your favorite shows can be viewed at www.abc.go.com.

WSOC faced with falling ad revenue, basically because their programming stinks, is seeking to tax the cable TV consumer to make up the difference. You might notice the only ones placing ads on their station now are the local car dealers (screaming asses, bimbos, bubble heads and their kids in training to be the same) the rug lady (baby talking women) and a few others that make you want to turn off the TV. They are even running infomercial programming during the day now because they are too cheap to pay for even tired re-runs.

Most of you in the area with with digital receivers can put up a cheap aerial and get an very good picture.

*pats his $30 HD antenna on the head*

Yes, my precious, laugh with me, LAUGH!

Go you! I really wish more people were aware as to how easy it is to get free high definition and digital channels over the air. I know people who subscribe to cable just for the local channels, which is inane. My $3 Antenna from Big Lots (no joke) gets ALL the local stations easily.

WSOC I can live without I don't watch ABC much or their local news, WAXN though shows stuff sometimes I'll actually watch, but I'm not missing anything either way so it's no big deal if that goes either.

Speaking of HD....anyone know if/when WCNC is going to start doing their local news in HD? They are the last broadcast station in Charlotte left to make the switch.

Don't know when WCNC is going to, but what's sad is *none* of the stations in Greensboro broadcast local news in HD! Even Roanoke, the smaller market to the north, has stations that broadcast in HD... Myrtle Beach, Wilmington.. I don't understand why stations in Gso are taking so lon

Is this the formula they are all using now? (which WSOC pioneered)

Barring a disaster which we don't get often, or really bad weather then the local news is this:

• Read the police report for 10 minutes.
  • Tell us for 5-7 minutes what the weather has already done for the day. Spend the last 30 or so seconds on a very nebulous forecast.
  • Fit in some jiffy pop story like a 3 legged dog. One that doesn't have any risk or relevance.
  • 5 minutes of sports. Unless there is a race or something.
  • Rest are car commercials and news readers banter with each other.
  • Rinse and repeat every 30 minutes

I have been tuning into my friends slingbox and catching charlotte news reports and I think you forgot to add something. Its not just car commercials, its also a TON of fast food commercials. Its so different from News up here in NY, I have never seen a fast food commercial in NYC, I'm starting to wonder if there is a ban.

Anyone ever watch the DW-TV news that sometimes come on channel 15 (south carolina etv) and also on both the CPCC and UNC Charlotte Channels at times? I like it's uniqueness and also surprised that sometimes they show ones that are in German.

• 1 month later...

The graphics are much better and modern...however I think the overall package is still too dark....which seems to be a recurirng problem that WCNC has had for over a decade. Also the graphics don't help their physical set....which when you compare it to FOX Charlotte....WCNC's set is total crap.

I do have to give props to Brad Panovich who did the weather forcast yesterday without a hitch even though they were updating the weather graphics from old to new on the fly during his live weathercast. It was pretty humorous to watch and I am sure there was probably a lot of yelling and screaming going on in the control room....and in Brad's earpiece.

WSOC, channel 9, is currently showing a very impressive high definition TV graphic of Mecklenburg county. Too bad it's not correct. It shows Meck Neck as part of Mecklenburg. This land was transferred to Iredell county about 5+ years ago. We are talking about 30-40 sq miles and does make a fairly noticeable difference on the maps.

• 2 weeks later...

O is reporting today that Carolina Traveler has been canceled due to Mike Redding's contract not being renewed by WCNC.

This was a unique and local show, not consultant-driven, which is why it stood head and shoulders above most of the other crap on local TV.

So it figures it wouldn't last.

Archived