Charlotte Local Television News

monsoon

Unless we're somehow supposed to take the following comment differently, then the comment is above for you to re-read:l
Context. You were speaking in rhetorical terms where you quoted me, without knowing the specifics of this accident, and this was an answer on those same lines. It has to be taken with the entire paragraph. Not once did I say THIS reporter was shoved by the police at this accident.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.... There are quite a few instances around the US of law enforcement abusing their powers to take away rights of photographers and videographers. Just because it isn't a common occurrence doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.
Ahh, yet you don't think it is an issue for the news to film dead bodies because it isn't a common occurrence that editors have allowed the footage to make it on TV.

Context. You were speaking in rhetorical terms where you quoted me, without knowing the specifics of this accident, and this was an answer on those same lines. It has to be taken with the entire paragraph. Not once did I say THIS reporter was shoved by the police at this accident.

Then why bother making the sly comment to begin with when we both know it isn't relevant to this particular discussion given that what we have heard is that the crew, including the photographer, was shooting the scene from an embankment a distance away from the accident?

I would encourage you to read the following about a similar incident that happened in San Francisco: http://carlosmiller.com/2009/01/21/do-poli...te-your-camera/

Ahh, yet you don't think it is an issue for the news to film dead bodies because it isn't a common occurrence that editors have allowed the footage to make it on TV.

I'm sorry? Can you please state where I said that I don't think it is an issue for the news to film dead bodies? IMO there is no issue for a news agency to film the scene, but obviously the filming of a dead body of any condition is bathed in moral issues that should obviously be questioned.

Regardless, this isn't a discussion about whether it is wrong or right to film dead bodies, but whether it is wrong or right for an officer to use their authority against a photographer that was on an embankment a safe distance away from the scene.

I did notice the Carolina Traveler had been reduced to a few minutes on the local news as I don't recall seeing the actual 30 minute show on now. Maybe they are selling ShamWows in that spot now. He had a good program, I hate to see that it is gone now.

The problem is, that at the end of the day, television is a business, and businesses need to make money.

Carolina Traveler was an award winning show with good content, but in the end it cost way more money to produce than it made back for WCNC. If the ratings had been higher, things might have been different. Ad revenues are way down due to the economy, and rather than lay off a lot of people, it makes more sense to cut out a show that loses money year after year.

At some point I would think they will be getting in trouble with the terms on which they were awarded the license, but I suspect those terms have been watered down so much in their favor over the past few years they can get away with it.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.. the FCC can't take away a station's license for airing infomercials.

Infomercials make money for TV stations. It is one big commercial, after all. An infomercial can often times make a lot more money than a syndicated re-run in the middle of the day.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.. the FCC can't take away a station's license for airing infomercials.

Infomercials make money for TV stations. It is one big commercial, after all. An infomercial can often times make a lot more money than a syndicated re-run in the middle of the day.

Of course all of this is related to profiteering as much as possible off their broadcast license. Originally the FCC required a station in return for it's exclusive use of the public airwaves, to serve the community in which it is licensed. There were even requirements for locally originated content. In return, the FCC generally made it very difficult for new stations to go on the air and thus created a protected oligopoly for these commercial stations. They also prohibit cable and satellite companies from bringing in distant network stations that might choose to compete against the local station. The satellite companies, for example, can't send you a signal from a station in say Raleigh, NYC. or San Francisco where you might watch network programming as an alternative.

In return for this protected market they are supposed provide relevant programming that serves the community. These requirements have been watered down greatly over the years so this is why we see infomercials in the middle of the day now. If as you stated this is fine because they have to make money, I don't have a problem with it IF they allow other stations to compete against them. I just as soon watch WNBC instead of WCNC.

Of course all of this is related to profiteering as much as possible off their broadcast license.

Yes, of course you're right. Every time a local television station airs a 30 minute spot for the Sham Wow instead of a re-run of of some trashy talk show, it's all part of a greater plan to destroy the lives of every American. Everyone that works in television stations is a soul-less, evil demon who is only interested in sapping you dry of all your money with their free programming.

Give me a break.

Give me a break.

I didn't say any of that and your commentary is disingenious at best. You didn't address one statement that I made and instead have decided to be insulting as a replacement. I recommend you read the rules as this is a site for adults.

(long live free! down with the cable companies!)

I hate TWC as much as the next guy but, man, broadcast TV has become even more of a vast wasteland than it already was.

At least there's some variety on cable, I mean where else can you watch "Modern Marvels - The History of the Wrench". :rolleyes:

On another note, I turned on WCNC News at 5:30 and saw two misspellings on the screen graphics in less than a minute!

Cable (Just all the stuff on channels 2 - 99 except HBO because they went and cut that off)is part of my rent so that's what I got on my old 27in Sylvania analog set. I don't have any kind of antenna or nothing so I wasn't actually able to see it happen. But yeah I like Hulu and "other sources" myself too.

I am reminded that on rainy nights like tonight you get to hear The Chicken, The Eraser Head (or Goober), and The Cadaver spew out technobabble about the pretty colors on their radars all evening. They all forgo the nightly reading of the police reports, stories about 3 legged dogs, and the manditory words of wisdom from a local redneck. Of the three, Channel 3 is the funniest as you get to look at the back of the head of weather annunciator as he plays with his computer while the anchors stand over him acting as if they are interested. They win the award for drama. Channel 36 wins the award for most useless info as they tell you stay away from trees and to wrap yourself in blankets.

I am reminded that on rainy nights like tonight you get to hear The Chicken, The Eraser Head (or Goober), and The Cadaver spew out technobabble about the pretty colors on their radars all evening. They all forgo the nightly reading of the police reports, stories about 3 legged dogs, and the manditory words of wisdom from a local redneck. Of the three, Channel 3 is the funniest as you get to look at the back of the head of weather annunciator as he plays with his computer while the anchors stand over him acting as if they are interested. They win the award for drama. Channel 36 wins the award for most useless info as they tell you stay away from trees and to wrap yourself in blankets.

Ah, yes. I was thinking the exact same thing. But it can't be that bad, they haven't started double-teaming yet.

I agree about the not so bad part if was just a matter of turning off this nonsense. However all 3 channels preempted the national news which I do have an interest in. (such as it is on ABC, NBC and CBS) There is only the potential new revolutionary change in Iran, war with N. Korea, the continued issues with the economy that might be a bit more important. Fortunately there is the BBC, PBS, and of course the internet as mentioned above.

This kind of self importance of these stations has led to these channels losing 50% of their news audience in the last 10 years. Oh and the really annoying commercials where they scream at you at the top of their lungs to purchase cheap-ass Korean cars in Monroe or bubble headed baby talking women, the kind with voices that are as pleasant as squealing brakes, squawking about rugs in SC.

I agree about the not so bad part if was just a matter of turning off this nonsense. However all 3 channels preempted the national news which I do have an interest in. (such as it is on ABC, NBC and CBS) There is only the potential new revolutionary change in Iran, war with N. Korea, the continued issues with the economy that might be a bit more important. Fortunately there is the BBC, PBS, and of course the internet as mentioned above.

This kind of self importance of these stations has led to these channels losing 50% of their news audience in the last 10 years. Oh and the really annoying commercials where they scream at you at the top of their lungs to purchase cheap-ass Korean cars in Monroe or bubble headed baby talking women, the kind with voices that are as pleasant as squealing brakes, squawking about rugs in SC.

TV Weather is big business, no doubt. That's why they get a new Super Duper Woppler Doppler every couple of years, whether its useful or not. I think they upped the rain intensity colors awhile ago to get more yellow and red on the screen which really gets your attention. And when they take off their jackets and roll up their sleeves, man, its really serious. Then they report on the days abundant sunshine from the 'severe weather center'. Gag.

It's theatrics, plain and simple, but that's the state of TV news these days, broadcast and cable. Actually broadcast is more restrained than cable, with their video walls, magic screens, annoying wipes and of course the video game sound effects that go with them.

^I could even forgive them this if they actually provided a service that people could rely on if there is bad weather. But the way they handle it, bad storms only happen between 5 - 7 pm on weekdays. Let there be a bad storm on, say, the weekend, and they are no where to be found as sports programming is an even bigger money maker and they won't preempt that for anything. (though they might cut in AFTER a tornado blows something down) Even on their dedicated weather channels you won't find them giving live block to block coverage of bad weather.

^I could even forgive them this if they actually provided a service that people could rely on if there is bad weather. But the way they handle it, bad storms only happen between 5 - 7 pm on weekdays. Let there be a bad storm on, say, the weekend, and they are no where to be found as sports programming is an even bigger money maker and they won't preempt that for anything. (though they might cut in AFTER a tornado blows something down) Even on their dedicated weather channels you won't find them giving live block to block coverage of bad weather.

Or during the 'soaps' heaven forbid.

• 1 year later...

Archived