San Francisco Photo of the Day

Charles Pearson

You're a swell inspiration, Mr. URBbum. The lone Pyramid & skyline rocks. You managed to capture the mood and vibrance of the entire Bay Area. I look forward to plenty more...

On Dolores Street at 14th, a biker races across my path enroute to dinner earlier this evening on Church Street...

IMG_0050.jpg

Mission Dolores Tower view from the MiddleRoom upon returning home much later...

IMG_0088-1.jpg

Edited by Zahc

Zahc,

Thanks for the kind words. To answer your question from earlier, I did feel like I was in a different village - sometimes it just took a block from my original spot for me to think that.

I didn't happen to get any pictures of Bayview, I met some interesting people who invited me down to Silicon Valley and took that exciting trip instead (they also mentioned there wasn't much in B/H).

I'm beginning to think I should've skipped the plane. Everyone was assuring me jobs are plentiful - especially planning - in the Bay Area, but I had to come back and not chance it. Who knows, it could be where I reside come May '09.

Zahc,

Thanks for the kind words. To answer your question from earlier, I did feel like I was in a different village - sometimes it just took a block from my original spot for me to think that.

I didn't happen to get any pictures of Bayview, I met some interesting people who invited me down to Silicon Valley and took that exciting trip instead (they also mentioned there wasn't much in B/H).

I'm beginning to think I should've skipped the plane. Everyone was assuring me jobs are plentiful - especially planning - in the Bay Area, but I had to come back and not chance it. Who knows, it could be where I reside come May '09.

...yep! w/Market Street being one of the most interesting from the spacious waterfront, through the old and new slick towers shadowing the canyons of the finance district...through the edge of the TL/Civic Center that looks and feels like you've stepped into a third world; then the quaint little neighborhoods south & north of Market--each one distinct with its own little downtown/main street... You've drank the water--so to speak. I get this feeling you're be back here... to stay permanently. :)

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

Edited by Zahc

...seems our paths crossed many times during your stay. I should have worn a sign that said ZAHC, UrbanPlanet Member...

:)

This morning over coffee after Birthday celebration #1...checking out my U-Tube channel...

IMG_0570.jpg

Photoworks of my 25th Year of living in San Francisco on the Eve of my 50 years traveled...

Visit My Website

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

When I looked back through all your photos I was thinking we were probably within walking distance of each other on at least a few occassions.

DoloresPark.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

Well that's it for me. Everything else I have is either SJ or Berkeley. I hope you enjoyed my photos as much as I enjoyed taking them.

When I looked back through all your photos I was thinking we were probably within walking distance of each other on at least a few occassions.

DoloresPark.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

I certainly did enjoy every shot! Yes, it seems we were that close on several occassions...You took these three right in my backyard. I live about 3 blocks north of Dolores Park...or two blocks south of the big Safeway at Duboce/Market/Church Street, where the J-Line runs. I hope the SOUTHwest corner of the park at the top of the hill didn't embarass you or perhaps people behaved that day...there's usually a lot of nudity there with people sunbathing, esp. when the is superb. We call it "gay beach"...

Edited by Zahc

The Voice of Reason,

I loved those buildings you mentioned. The contemporary turrets just give that building a little flare and help it stand out. The latter building has a beautiful "green roof" I wish I could've gotten it in a photo, but I couldn't get a great vantage point.

Your wife has impeccable taste!

Zahc,

Dolores Park was great the few days I had visited. A lot of people were very friendly in the park and it was very peaceful. Also, I stopped in at Hot Cookie and people warned me not to "window shop" in Castro, but H.C. certainly surprised me with what they have on the walls. However, I would recommend the Hot Cookie for the best baked goods to anyone.

URBbum,

I'm still here...Your comment about HC was funny. As many times as I've stopped in there, I don't think I ever noticed the walls. However, I did notice the wall or mural above the urinal in 3300 Club, a straight bar, where we waited last night (in the bar, not the urinal) for our name to be called for our table in a restaurant called "Front Porch" which specializes in Southern cooking. It's somewhere off San Jose Ave...The painted GG on the wall leading to the Gents in 3300 was OK though...Dinner at "Front Porch", which my friend told me used to be Mexican, was very good. I nibbled on 1/2 of a pickled okra served with baby back ribs. I've never been fond okra, even if it's pickled. Wait for a table was about 35 minutes...but I still couldn't eat a whole okra....Tried the fried chicken (very good) served with the best mash potatoes & gravy I've ever had and wax beans. Had a nice, almost spicy tasting glass of Rose from Napa with the chicken...Afterwards we cruised an authentic Mexican bar where I don't believe anyone spoke one word of English, and my suddenly shy friend was uncomfortable from all the glares we got so we left though I wanted to stay...What's terrible now is that I haven't packed one item, was out when I should have been packing, and my flight for South Carolina leaves in 4 hours...I'd sleep on the plane.

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

Edited by Zahc

• 1 month later...

Zahc,

I love this photo. It gives me a surreal feeling to the location where you took the picture and the landscape you captured.

...an expression of my many moods. :) thanks...

SFPD pre-Oscar Grant Rally, Civic Center

IMG_0540.jpg

Oscar Grant Rally, Civic Center/UN Plaza

IMG_0551.jpg

Edited by Zahc