City of Wyoming Promotes 28th Street's 'Classic Convenience'

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know that making a more pedestrian friendly environment along 28th Street would make it any more desirable, unless it was a mammoth development that replaced a square mile of the current stuff.

The only "old suburbs" like Wyoming that you see making a comeback in other cities, are those served by rail systems (ie, the Chicago Metra suburbs for instance). Any attempt to make a "lifestyle center" feel along 28th would be futile IMO, until you can get an influx of middle-class people moving back into that area to support it. What good are sidewalks and bike trails if there is no one to use them?

I don't know that making a more pedestrian friendly environment along 28th Street would make it any more desirable, unless it was a mammoth development that replaced a square mile of the current stuff.

The only "old suburbs" like Wyoming that you see making a comeback in other cities, are those served by rail systems (ie, the Chicago Metra suburbs for instance). Any attempt to make a "lifestyle center" feel along 28th would be futile IMO, until you can get an influx of middle-class people moving back into that area to support it. What good are sidewalks and bike trails if there is no one to use them?

The biggest thing that needs to be done is a major redevelopment of the old Rodgers Plaza mall. The mall does look like is thriving on the outside. But inside is nearly empty. Get something more modern and up to date in there and Wyoming would solve half of its problems. I'd also like to see some kind of planning commission put in charge the entire length of 28th street that would bring the entire street together into one consistent look and market it as a premier retail destination.

Yes Rogers Plaza is a big disappointment. I ventured there last week to the secretary of state office was suprised to see how empty it was. I think the main problem is Rogers plaza used to have shops that made it a sort of destination now many of those stores have left. If the city wants to redevelop Roogers plaza i say that should start by connecting all the stores to the mall its confusing to have to leave the mall to go to family fare. Breton Village seems to be doing fine.

Archived