Floyd Mayweather's 4th of July Festival

Yowzers! It seems strange that news about this comes so late/close to the date of the event, but check out the lineup for Floyd Mayweather's Festival/Retirement Party in downtown Grand Rapids:

According to the Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- People heading downtown July 4-6 should look for such celebrities as Ray J, Lil' Jon and Brandy.

Monica, Tank, Vivica Fox and Jackie Long also have confirmed they will be attending the Floyd Mayweather Foundation's Fourth of July Family Festival "Stars on the Grand" celebration.

The downtown family festival "Stars on the Grand" is focused on community wellness, while "Round 13," presented by Mayweather's music promotions company, is a tribute to his life and career.

Ottawa Avenue will be closed throughout the weekend between Oakes Street SW and West Fulton Street and between Monroe Center and Lyon Street NW. Pearl Street NW will be closed from Monroe Avenue to Ionia Avenue. Fountain Street NW will be closed from Ottawa Avenue to Ionia Avenue.

The areas will have inflatables, health and wellness booths, sports courts and 10 local food vendors.

Parking Lots 2, 4 and 5 behind Van Andel Arena, 130 West Fulton St., will be closed to make room for a carnival, local car show and strong man competition.

Mayweather's festival will kick off July 4, beginning with a three-day carnival, Tofferi said. The carnival will be open 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday and noon until 6 p.m. on Sunday. Day passes will cost $20, and ticket costs for individual attractions will vary.

Saturday will feature a professional Strongman competition and a car show will display local names behind Van Andel Arena.

Floyd Mayweather will celebrate his retirement from professional boxing the same weekend with a celebration he's dubbed "Round 13."

Various parties throughout the weekend will include a 1970s and 1980s themed roller-skating party, concert after-party, "green carpet" celebration and bowling after-party.

The roller-skating party is for ages 21-and-older only. Costumes related to the 1970s/1980s theme are required, Robinson-White said. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster or at the door for $20.

Afterward, the public is welcome to attend a concert at The Intersection, 133 Grandville Ave. SW, with headliner Ray J, and other Billboard Hot 100 artists Lil' Jon and Danity Kane Tickets are $25.

A green carpet event, which is named for the specially made green carpets that will cover the ground, will highlight the life of Floyd Mayweather. The event strictly calls for black and white dress.

Guests will meet 5:30 p.m. Sunday at Celebration Cinema's Studio 28, 1350 28th St. SW, for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres.

Mayweather will speak briefly before showing a two-hour film chronicling the past 20 years of his life and career. The evening will end with a 10 p.m. bowling party at a location to be announced.

What's up with the slight in the article by Ed Kettle, who is running the city's 4th of July Celebration?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't surprise me that the NEWS for this came so late, it always does when its a privately funded operation.

I believe THIS might easily rival the Festival of the Arts in 5 to 10 years. It has the type of line-up that young people enjoy.

Now if only it had Peabo Bryson, Donna Summer, the O'Jays, or some body us old fogies could enjoy! :-)

Perhaps the "interview" actually went like this:

GRP: Are they a concern?

EK: No.

GRP: Isn't your event a celebration of our nation's birthday?

EK: Yes, everything to the west of the river.

GRP editor: That's too short. We need 50 more words, so pad it out.

I do know this Kettle guy, and I doubt he was quoted accurately, let alone completely. It's not like the fireworks event charges admission.

[signing up to volunteer at it again, 4th year in a row]

I know, I know. But look at this whole paragraph:

"They're not a concern. But we want to draw attention to the fact that our event is a celebration of our nation's birthday," he said. "Everything to the west of the river is about our nation's birthday."

Bolded by me because he says it twice. As in: "While you guys are celebrating a boxer, we'll be observing the 4th of July in the right way". And why would "they" be a "concern".

Seems like it was a great opportunity (lost) to say "We're glad to see more people coming down to enjoy our great city and the things that are going on, and hope that people stick around after Mayweather's Festival to watch the fireworks". "We truly are fortunate to have so many people, like Floyd Mayweather, who give back to the GR community".

Instead it turned into a question of patriotism (from where I sit). :rolleyes: I don't know this Kettle guy, so maybe he means something else (?)

And I agree flawlessdeveloper, I think I'm a bit old for most of it (but a lot of people aren't). :)

...Here's another stupid question: Why is there an entire paragraph in the middle of this article touting the city's 4th of July event? Including a list of times, singers, fireworks sponsor, etc.? I could understand it if it were an article listing all the things to do in the area for the 4th, but that's not what it was, because it picks right up on the Mayweather details in the very next paragraph....

Wow. This is really amazing news. If this continues to grow this will be quite the festival in several years. DT for 4th of July will be quite the event. I think its a major coup for the area; I hope its successful and the event can be built upon by all parties in the future to make it bigger and better.

Its a nice nod to GR to have the Birthday Bash and a couple of weeks later this event. As Flawless Developer stated some old fogie acts are needed to round out the music festivities for everyone.

Thanks Dave, I didn't think I was crazy. I understand reporters don't always publish the actual exchange, and things are taken out of context. But I would imagine if Kettle had said a few good things about Mayweather's event, they would have found their way into the article. No?

Here's another stupid question: Why is there an entire paragraph in the middle of this article touting the city's 4th of July event? Including a list of times, singers, fireworks sponsor, etc.? I could understand it if it were an article listing all the things to do in the area for the 4th, but that's not what it was, because it picks right up on the Mayweather details in the very next paragraph. Something stinks like poo.

Perhaps the "interview" actually went like this:

GRP: Are they a concern?

EK: No.

GRP: Isn't your event a celebration of our nation's birthday?

EK: Yes, everything to the west of the river.

GRP editor: That's too short. We need 50 more words, so pad it out.

I do know this Kettle guy, and I doubt he was quoted accurately, let alone completely. It's not like the fireworks event charges admission.

[signing up to volunteer at it again, 4th year in a row]

Thanks Dave, I didn't think I was crazy. I understand reporters don't always publish the actual exchange, and things are taken out of context. But I would imagine if Kettle had said a few good things about Mayweather's event, they would have found their way into the article. No?

Here's another stupid question: Why is there an entire paragraph in the middle of this article touting the city's 4th of July event? Including a list of times, singers, fireworks sponsor, etc.? I could understand it if it were an article listing all the things to do in the area for the 4th, but that's not what it was, because it picks right up on the Mayweather details in the very next paragraph. Something stinks like poo.

I'm hoping this is the only festival Mayweather will be giving to us. Thanks, but no thanks. The area over by the carnival and the intersecction, and partially throughout all of downtown was like stepping onto the corner of Franklin & Eastern. Never have I seen so many people downtown who know nothing about showing respect. I hate to say this, but all of downtown tonight felt very unsafe, not just from a crime aspect but also being on the roads. I saw several near-accidents, people racing, a police chase, anti-white racism, and the majority of the people unwilling to pay $2 for a ride on a pedicab and only wanted a free ride. I denied several rides because people wanted to go places that just didn't seem right: "take us into that empty carnival and ring your bell" -- NO. The owner had people shouting out at him "That's the way it should be, white man pulling the black man around" -- disgusting. So many people trying to take advantage, "Take us here. Okay, drop us off over there. Wait, go this way.."

This weekend and especially tonight (5th) was unlike any other night I've seen downtown. Next time Mayweather holds a festival like that, I'm staying away from downtown.

I'm hoping this is the only festival Mayweather will be giving to us. Thanks, but no thanks. The area over by the carnival and the intersecction, and partially throughout all of downtown was like stepping onto the corner of Franklin & Eastern. Never have I seen so many people downtown who know nothing about showing respect. I hate to say this, but all of downtown tonight felt very unsafe, not just from a crime aspect but also being on the roads. I saw several near-accidents, people racing, a police chase, anti-white racism, and the majority of the people unwilling to pay $2 for a ride on a pedicab and only wanted a free ride. I denied several rides because people wanted to go places that just didn't seem right: "take us into that empty carnival and ring your bell" -- NO. The owner had people shouting out at him "That's the way it should be, white man pulling the black man around" -- disgusting. So many people trying to take advantage, "Take us here. Okay, drop us off over there. Wait, go this way.."

This weekend and especially tonight (5th) was unlike any other night I've seen downtown. Next time Mayweather holds a festival like that, I'm staying away from downtown.

Everyone we saw down there today seemed to be well mannered. Of course there were very few people down there. By the time we arrived around 1pm it seemed like at least 25% of the booths had given up hope and gone home. There were kids playing on the majority of the blow up activities, but there were certainly not lines for any of them. We did a quick ride by of the carnival and it looked like there were people on most of the rides, but nothing was full.

I also am leery about having to pay for a lot of these events but it's another entertainment choice. Every city in the country has festivals/fireworks this time of year. It's nice to have rare events like these downtown to go along with the festivals that you see every year. It's nice to have choices and that's what it's all about. I walked through the carnival Saturday evening and went to the film earlier this evening. That event was very high class with a ton of celebrities there and the carnival looked kind of neat while driving by on 131.

I'll admit it looked pretty cool having the carnival there, and yes there was a lot of famous celebrities. My point of the matter was mostly.. for some reason.. it seemed to attract a really bad crowd. I've never been fearful of being downtown at any hour, but that night was an exception.

The report I got from my friend Jeff was nothing serious, I think the young men were trying to razz Jeff because his wife is African-American. It would be like a black man taking his white wife to the Ionia Free Fair. Most people would be tolerant of such, but there are bound to be some people out there that just cannot let people live thier lives. As far a a threat to his and her safety, I don't think either felt threatened, just a feeling of uneasiness (some pretty ignorant comments were made, no physical display, nothing to report to police).

Archived