Bike racks

Veloise

This new bike rack design was brought to my attention, and I was asked to evaluate it.

It's out by Design +.

rack-7.jpg

My gut reaction: it's overkill. The top doesn't provide enough shade or weather protection to make a difference, and it's just massively BIG. Yeah, it looks cool, and could have metal flowers added on top, and it screams "we're a green company Who Support Bicycling, see our bike racks?!?"

rack-1.jpg

I experienced roll-off while situating my ride. (Used a strap to secure it while taking pics. I would have had to have the lock ready, in my hand, in order to lock up before gravity did its thing.)

rack-2.jpg

Not crazy about the rack/fender interface. I can think of many bike designs (kids, 'bents, tandems) which would be better served by using a fence post.

rack-3.jpg

rack-4.jpg

When I rolled it back down, my grocery bags had unhooked themselves, and again I had to struggle with the bike. (N.B. I lift this thing every day.) If I were loading up with groceries, or making a stop en route home from the store, I would park like this:

rack-5.jpg

Back to the drawing board, IMHO.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Open house yesterday at the Lacks Cancer Center; there is no bicycle parking provided.

I know, I know. Cancer patients and supporters are not likely to pedal there, so why provide it? Presumably some of the staff lives in the walkable area of Belknap and might want to ride. If my buddy from the bike club were getting treatment there, it's feasable that his friends would ride there. Also, it's a requirement of the zoning ordinance.

I used a railing across the street in the parking structure, where there are lots of bike lockers (subscription only). And don't get started on the ped xing from said parking structure.

Open house yesterday at the Lacks Cancer Center; there is no bicycle parking provided.

I know, I know. Cancer patients and supporters are not likely to pedal there, so why provide it? Presumably some of the staff lives in the walkable area of Belknap and might want to ride. If my buddy from the bike club were getting treatment there, it's feasable that his friends would ride there. Also, it's a requirement of the zoning ordinance.

I used a railing across the street in the parking structure, where there are lots of bike lockers (subscription only). And don't get started on the ped xing from said parking structure.

Archived