Other ballpark location options

nashpredator

This is all just my random imagination working, but the current site along the river is pretty small and would be hard to upgrade to a MLB stadium within that area. It would face east, providing views of only the Shelby Pedestrian bridge and LP Field. Seems as if Metro also just says a ballpark can go there, so let's put it there. I photoshopped a rough image of PNC Park, one of the smallest parks in the majors and was thinking of two new locations that would help bring all of the budding neighborhoods closer together and provide better/more views. Here is the image: http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn134/b...lleballpark.jpg

So with the first spot I chose west of 8th Ave. and would be bounded by Division St. and the railroad tracks. This would leave areas beyond LF and CF available for lofts or apartments a la Wrigley Field, and the railroad tracks along with Mercy Lounge buildings in RF. It would provide excellent views of all of downtown, the Gulch, and Midtown (maybe?), along with a nicely constructed pedestrian bridge over the railroad tracks would be stunning. It would be central to SoBro, the Gulch, and closer to Midtown. It would force development behind Icon/Terrazzo, and if built with brick and steel would blend well with the older buildings in the area. Only problem I thought of would be accessability.

The second site across 8th Ave. and the railroad tracks would pretty much provide a lot of the same, except provide much more development around the park, would seem much closer to downtown since not separated by railroad tracks, and provide much better accessability with Lafayette St. and the exits off the interstate. So, thoughts?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....or we could do it like the park in New Jersey(featured in Brewsters Millions) and have the train tracks going straight through outfield!!

Seriously though, i think either local would be great. Personally, i like the one by 7th. Although, i would angle it slightly different.

good concept. i like the one by 7th as well, would angle the outfield toward the east a bit more...

....or we could do it like the park in New Jersey(featured in Brewsters Millions) and have the train tracks going straight through outfield!!

Seriously though, i think either local would be great. Personally, i like the one by 7th. Although, i would angle it slightly different.

there's a chunk of land for sale in sobro, 3 acres...

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listi...1lww2t006a00002

could place it here, with a view of all the future downtown towers...

Honestly, a ballpark would need to be close to LP Field because there is tons of un-used parking throughout the year. That would solve that issue without having to build more massive parking lots. Who is for putting the scrap yard on a barge and shoving it down river?

Yea i liked the 7th ave. better, and yea i should've turned it again but it wouldve taken a lot of time than i had already spent on it. But it was just to give a general idea. and the parking....i HATE how there is so much unused land pretty much right almost right next to downtown, but all of that could change with the riverfront plans. It if was downtown, somewere I'd hope they'd surround it with maybe a few very small lots with parking decks topped by buildings all around it. I also thought of shoving it right up next to Lafayette and 8th(with the hopeful roundabout and art being put in there) and it would be right across the street to the new MCC, would also help with traffic down Demonbreun to 8th and Gateway Blvd. also. This is all for the sake of just trying to spark some discussion and more ideas.

You know; I thought there was more land there at the old Thermo plant site then there is. I did the same thing that "nashpredator" did to see if an MLB stadium would fit using the same stadium the smallest stadium in MLB "PCN Park", and the answer is no. Although, obstacles in the outfield would add a new dimension to the game: a tree line, a railroad and the Cumberland River all in the outfield. That would be the best thing since the old Nashville Minor League stadium Sulphurdell Stadium with its huge hill in the outfield (if you don't know what I'm talking about www.sulphurdell.com/photographs.htm ). anyways hear is PNC Park on the old Thermo Plant site.

Thermo-site.jpg

I have'nt actually looked at this location closely but why not chose Metro center as a good location for the Sounds

Stadium? It may not be downtown however it would be in a better location than the present one. I'm sure if traffic was a concern

something could be worked out.

I think someone had posted earlier (on this site, maybe, I forgot :dontknow: ) that the thermal site would look great as a park. Now I am thinking the same. We really don't have a big downtown park. The only ones are maybe bi-cent, cent park, and the "square", but it would be cool if one was there, maybe (like ATL's big park, the name escapes me at the moment, or a miniature central park)? Just a thought.

I would love to have a stadium there, but the room might be small, plus like nashvylle said there are more DT possible locations.

edit: I just like the effect a big park in a downtown area. Check out Atlanta's Piedmont Park.

a green space on the waterfront would be a real asset, and further encourage residential/retail development downtown. put the baseball park south of the convention center...there's plenty of undeveloped land...

I think someone had posted earlier (on this site, maybe, I forgot :dontknow: ) that the thermal site would look great as a park. Now I am thinking the same. We really don't have a big downtown park. The only ones are maybe bi-cent, cent park, and the "square", but it would be cool if one was there, maybe (like ATL's big park, the name escapes me at the moment, or a miniature central park)? Just a thought.

I would love to have a stadium there, but the room might be small, plus like nashvylle said there are more DT possible locations.

You know; I thought there was more land there at the old Thermo plant site then there is. I did the same thing that "nashpredator" did to see if an MLB stadium would fit using the same stadium the smallest stadium in MLB "PCN Park", and the answer is no. Although, obstacles in the outfield would add a new dimension to the game: a tree line, a railroad and the Cumberland River all in the outfield. That would be the best thing since the old Nashville Minor League stadium Sulphurdell Stadium with its huge hill in the outfield (if you don't know what I'm talking about www.sulphurdell.com/photographs.htm ). anyways hear is PNC Park on the old Thermo Plant site.

Thermo-site.jpg

Archived