Hartford's Max Restaurant Group Suing Springfield Sports Bar

HartfordTycoon

Max's Tavern sues Springfield Riverfront Development Corp. to block Samuel's Tavern from opening at the Basketball Hall of Fame

Posted by jdeburro June 19, 2008 23:13PM

By BUFFY SPENCER

[email protected]

SPRINGFIELD - The operator of Max's Tavern has filed a lawsuit against the Springfield Riverfront Development Corp. in an attempt to stop the August opening of another restaurant in the same building as Max's.

The suit was filed by Max's Grill LLC, a Hartford company that operates the restaurant. The operator states that a signed lease allows Max's to have a say in whether a competing restaurant can lease space in the same West Columbus Avenue building which is across the parking lot from the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The lawsuit states that the corporation entered into the lease with another restaurant in January without getting Max's permission. Max's has informed the corporation "on repeated occasions that Max's has reasonably determined that said competing use will have an adverse effect on Max's business."

In regard to the suit, Gerald W. Hayes, chairman of the riverfront development corporation, said, "We feel that it has no merit." He said he could not comment further because of the pending litigation.

Continue Reading: Masslive.com Article

Personally, I think that Max's owner Richard Rosenthal is taking the threat from this sports bar too seriously. They are very different establishments. It's the difference between steak, lobster, and fine wines vs. dogs, wings, and beers. Seriously, what's the big deal? I think both will do well and thrive as long as the Hall keeps attracting visitors and it will be good to have something more family friendly in there other than Max's.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HT,

I read that too, and although I agree with you to some degree the law suit is really to prove a point. they were promised that there were doing to be a mix of tenants, and that if another resturant were to be one of them, Max would have right of refusal. So now Max has dumped I am sure a bunch of money into the location, and the land lord has not brought any of its promises to life. as in no retail, or no other reason to bring people to the location(things that help business) but instead bring in competition.

If the place was completely leases out and the last spot were taken by this sports bar I doubt you would see any onjection.

but also another note. is this MAX not more of a sports bar? As in less high brow than its downtown Hartford one? I think this pace is direct competition.

HT,

I read that too, and although I agree with you to some degree the law suit is really to prove a point. they were promised that there were doing to be a mix of tenants, and that if another resturant were to be one of them, Max would have right of refusal. So now Max has dumped I am sure a bunch of money into the location, and the land lord has not brought any of its promises to life. as in no retail, or no other reason to bring people to the location(things that help business) but instead bring in competition.

If the place was completely leases out and the last spot were taken by this sports bar I doubt you would see any onjection.

but also another note. is this MAX not more of a sports bar? As in less high brow than its downtown Hartford one? I think this pace is direct competition.

• 3 weeks later...

I have friends in springfield who say you can get near Max's on the weekend, it's doing really well. I've been a couple of times, it's very nice, upscale finishes, and both times there were good crowds. Prices weren't exactly cheap either, but not outrageous.

This place just opened there too: http://www.onyxfusion.com/home.html

Lawsuit sounds a bit frivolous.

Archived