Birmingham 2020 Olmypics  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Can Birmingham Host the 2020 Olympics

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but this makes me seriously doubt Langford's touch with reality, or at least wonder what he is smoking.

No one in their right mind would even consider making a run at the Olympics for Birmingham. What a colossal waste of time.

Birmingham is no where near capable of even presenting a bid that would be slightly considered - transportation system? venues? financing? hotels? airpoft?

Birmingham can't host the Summer Olympics because

1. It is too small and Atlanta is about a few times larger than Birmingham

2. I am already rooting for Chicago to host the 2016 Olympics and I world rather have Birmingham host a Pan American Games

3. Birmingham doesn't have a good transportation system, partially adequate venues, not enough hotel rooms, and I don't know about its airport.

4. It doesn't have a sports franchise from the Big Four sports leagues. (NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL).

Birmingham can't host the Summer Olympics because

1. It is too small and Atlanta is about a few times larger than Birmingham

2. I am already rooting for Chicago to host the 2016 Olympics and I world rather have Birmingham host a Pan American Games

3. Birmingham doesn't have a good transportation system, partially adequate venues, not enough hotel rooms, and I don't know about its airport.

4. It doesn't have a sports franchise from the Big Four sports leagues. (NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL).

I wouldn't say that it is impossible, but it is going to be a stretch to accomplish landing a bid. I will say that Pan American Games and/or the Worlds' Fair are more financially feasible considering Birmingham tax bases is so limited at the moment. However, I would be all for an Olympic bid for the city if the place can get its act together like Denver Metro has and have all the region's cities to band together and go for it.

I wouldn't say that it is impossible, but it is going to be a stretch to accomplish landing a bid. I will say that Pan American Games and/or the Worlds' Fair are more financially feasible considering Birmingham tax bases is so limited at the moment. However, I would be all for an Olympic bid for the city if the place can get its act together like Denver Metro has and have all the region's cities to band together and go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will say this that although I highly doubt that the city will be able to land an Olympic bid for the 2020 games, the long-rang infastructure plan could be a hidden win. This idea could spark some civic pride in this city that seems to be seriously lacking, all one has to do is pay attention to the forums and post on the Birmingham News site. It would also bring to the light the serious infastructure issues such as an efficient regional transportation system, international attention, and possible business interests to the city.

Even if one doesn't agree with Mayor Langford, and I really don't, I will admit this if Birmingham doesn't land this bid it could spark some major plan that help create regional cooperation. Tampa, whose bid also failed, did get some major boosts to its civic pride, major involvement from the business community, and regional coordination from fellow cities like St. Petersburg and Orlando, so it could actually work here amongst our fellow cities within the metropolitan area, Tuscaloosa and possibly Anniston and Gadsden working with Birmingham to lobby for some major legislation in Montgomery.

Archived