Tobacco Road irony

castong

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I suppose they can stop the smoking at Amra's and move it to Tobacco Road to keep the irony from happening.

I mean, I hear all the time Amra's has really terrific live jazz but unfortunately I can never go and see for myself since it is a well-known cigar bar. No matter how good the jazz is, I couldn't enjoy it if I spent the entire time trying not to vomit from the stench of stogies. :sick:

I vote for a different name. The term "Tobacco Road" is insulting to the progress this area has made, and paints us in a backward, ignorant, unhealthy light. The book is about a bunch of dirt-poor, uneducated sharecroppers; hardly an accurate depiction of our lifestyle in the Triangle. If you think Andy Griffith sets us back, go read this book.

While NC is, by far, the #1 tobacco-producing state, the production happens in rural areas of the state, not techie nerdistans like Raleigh. Tobacco is hardly an industry we should be celebrating, as evidenced by every level of government in this country's clampdowns on smoking in public places and the steep decline of domestic tobacco sales in the last 20 years. Durham, a city steeped in way more tobacco history than Raleigh, chooses to call itself the "City of Medicine". While the rest of the world is damning the product, we choose to embrace it. What P.R. genius came up with that one?

"Oh it's part of our heritage, so we should celebrate it," is an argument heard all too often. Well, so is slavery, but I don't see anyone thinking that a bar celebrating slave trading is cute, either. I think it's time that we stop promoting this dubious side (tobacco) of our area's history as well.

I don't like the name of Hi5 either. I much prefer the chest-bump, or at least the fist-bump (even Obama does it) if you don't have enough momentum to achieve the chest-bump - oh yea, and the timing has to be perfect or the celebration is ruined.

I think Tobacco Road was supposed to be a play on he ACC school gauntlet through which other ACC schools must toil during basketball season especially. Dick Vitale and the boys use the term alot. I know the logo has tobacco on it instead of College logos, but my impression was based on it being a sports bar.

Honestly, I really don't think most people are going to care about the name of the place. They'll just see "Tobacco Road" and think, "oh well that's cool, we're in the south and there is tobacco here, that's a neat name". I never even knew there was a book and I doubt most people do either.

Archived