Cameron Village Developments

tjoad

• 2 weeks later...

""The sale of an aging condo complex next to Cameron Village has fallen through.  The Worthing Companies, an apartment developer, had been trying to buy the 4.9-acre site of the Bellwood Condominiums, but a deal could only be finalized if all 51 owners of the property agreed to sell. One of the owners didn’t agree, Worthing and the homeowners association said, and now the future of a prime redevelopment site next to a bustling retail center is once again up in the air.  The Bellwood Condominium Homeowners Association Board sent an email to owners Nov. 26 breaking the news. “It is with a heavy heart that we share the news that we did not receive 100% sales ratification,” the email states.""

from the Triangle Business Journal about the redevelopment of the Bellwood condos

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/12/03/sale-of-prime-condos-next-to-cameron-village-falls.html?ana=e_mc_prem&s=newsletter&ed=2018-12-03&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1543851816&j=85319441     Subscriber article 

• Like 3

On 12/3/2018 at 10:45 AM, KJHburg said:

""The sale of an aging condo complex next to Cameron Village has fallen through.  The Worthing Companies, an apartment developer, had been trying to buy the 4.9-acre site of the Bellwood Condominiums, but a deal could only be finalized if all 51 owners of the property agreed to sell. One of the owners didn’t agree, Worthing and the homeowners association said, and now the future of a prime redevelopment site next to a bustling retail center is once again up in the air.  The Bellwood Condominium Homeowners Association Board sent an email to owners Nov. 26 breaking the news. “It is with a heavy heart that we share the news that we did not receive 100% sales ratification,” the email states.""

from the Triangle Business Journal about the redevelopment of the Bellwood condos

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/12/03/sale-of-prime-condos-next-to-cameron-village-falls.html?ana=e_mc_prem&s=newsletter&ed=2018-12-03&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1543851816&j=85319441     Subscriber article 

I understand not wanting to sell because of potentially not finding an equivalent nearby, but man would I hate to be that 1 person that didn't sell.  You'll literally have 50 other people breathing down your neck every time you set foot outside your door.

No thanks.

• Haha 3

I have mixed feelings about this. I hate living in a situation bound to others under an HOA (never again) and appreciate the associated frustrations, but also I am glad another cardboard box with lipstick isn't getting jammed in next to Cameron Village. If any of these buildings were worth a sh&^ I might be for it, but the large ones are not. Ever. An example of something I would like is the total overhaul of the building at the NE corner of Wade and St Mary's into condos from office space. It's solid, full of huge windows and has a cool look to it. The site orientation ain't great but I am only talking up the building itself in this case. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, JeffC said:

I guess this explains why noone wants to build condos anymore?  Redevelopment well nigh impossible because someone always wants to be the holdout?

I think its a combination of project financing requirements (a bank won't finance over 50% last I knew) and individual condo financing was 20% down every time. Plus the HOAs *must budget 10% for maintenance or no bank is allowed to lend to a buyer. 

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Cameron Village is now just the Village District. This is a move by the private owner and not the city. The Cameron family was the largest slaveholder and biggest source of human suffering in North Carolina history--the owner has decided to no longer honor that name. 

I agree with the decision even if the new name is pretty bland. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 8:32 PM, carolina1792 said:

Cameron Village is now just the Village District. This is a move by the private owner and not the city. The Cameron family was the largest slaveholder and biggest source of human suffering in North Carolina history--

I really doubt that statement. You also forgot to mention the large plot of land that he gave to the slaves. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 5:26 PM, dmccall said:

I really doubt that statement. You also forgot to mention the large plot of land that he gave to the slaves. 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I guess, however your second statement doesn't redeem a slave owner from literally profiting off human suffering and bondage. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I guess, however your second statement doesn't redeem a slave owner from literally profiting off human suffering and bondage. 

Do you have an Apple product? From the company well known for using slave labor for manufacturing in areas with low environmental standards? I can drop many links to proof from left-wing 'authoritative sites' site as the WaPo that document this on-going practice.  Yet everyone here is cheering Apple with no criticism of their poor treatment of their manufacturing workers and their shady off-shoring of profits.  It's just strange how this current left-wing deplatforming of heroes from the past is so selective and biased.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rolly said:

Do you have an Apple product? From the company well known for using slave labor for manufacturing in areas with low environmental standards? I can drop many links to proof from left-wing 'authoritative sites' site as the WaPo that document this on-going practice.  Yet everyone here is cheering Apple with no criticism of their poor treatment of their manufacturing workers and their shady off-shoring of profits.  It's just strange how this current left-wing deplatforming of heroes from the past is so selective and biased.

The slave owning Cameron family are heroes now? 

49 minutes ago, DownEast said:

It's a name change people... Naming shopping centers after slave owners is soooo 1960's.  What was radical then isn't so much now. 

Or let's stop the names after humans altogether.  Fauna and flora would be a great change of pace!   Petunia  Plaza, Cucumber Corners,  Feline Place, or The Amphibian would be great starters!:tw_glasses:

Edited by rancenc

3 hours ago, DownEast said:

It's a name change people... Naming shopping centers after slave owners is soooo 1960's.  What was radical then isn't so much now. 

The shopping center was named after Cliff Cameron, when he developed it with Willie York after they returned from the war. Neither of the two men owned slaves.
It's important to view history in its context. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dmccall said:

The shopping center was named after Cliff Cameron, when he developed it with Willie York after they returned from the war. Neither of the two men owned slaves.
It's important to view history in its context. 

I don't think that's the point. The land was part of the Cameron family's real estate holdings that were amassed due to profiting from...? Cliff Cameron's wealth was derived from where? So long. Don't forget to grab Kirk on your way out. James is cool though. He can chill. Can't argue with your facts. But the Cameron legacy is the issue here. Not so much Cliff's.

1 hour ago, DownEast said:

I don't think that's the point. The land was part of the Cameron family's real estate holdings that were amassed due to profiting from...? Cliff Cameron's wealth was derived from where? So long. Don't forget to grab Kirk on your way out. James is cool though. He can chill. Can't argue with your facts. But the Cameron legacy is the issue here. Not so much Cliff's.

The topic here is current and future developments in the Village, not it's history.

Can we please get back to discussing that?

• Thanks 2