Cameron Village Developments

tjoad

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/15/2021 at 9:27 PM, DownEast said:

I don't think that's the point. The land was part of the Cameron family's real estate holdings that were amassed due to profiting from...? Cliff Cameron's wealth was derived from where? So long. Don't forget to grab Kirk on your way out. James is cool though. He can chill. Can't argue with your facts. But the Cameron legacy is the issue here. Not so much Cliff's.

Are you prepared to pay the price for what your ancestors did? That's pretty dangerous and unfair territory.

Are we ready to unbox Sir Walter Raleigh's decisions and opinions?  How about King Charles I ("Carolus")?

Edited by dmccall
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccall said:

Are you prepared to pay the price for what your ancestors did? That's pretty dangerous and unfair territory.

Are we ready to unbox Sir Walter Raleigh's decisions and opinions?  How about King Charles I ("Carolus")?

Just wondering about changing names for past transgressions...  Imagine seeing things named for homophobes like Jerry Falwell and Malcolm X. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 10:13 PM, nicholas said:

New Chase Bank branch going in the former McDonald's spot.  Surprised to see this going in here as I believe they are also building a branch in the Hayes Barton/Five Points area nearby.

IMG_5283.thumb.JPG.778d998b1f73691c5a447e756006e734.JPG

I'm really surprised that McDonalds closed as it had to have been a money maker right there by the Teeter and on Oberlin near State.  The building was slightly worse for wear though and perhaps it just wasn't worth the cost of tear down and replace like all the other McDonalds over the past decade in this area.

I guess they got a good offer and/or it was just too close to the location down near Glenwood and Peace.

Edited by DPK
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

from Raleigh Magazine:

❗️Breaking News❗️The Village District is upping its hip factor with Raleigh’s first Curio Collection by Hilton Hotel. Permits have officially been filed for the upscale hotel brand, which boasts a global portfolio of handpicked hotels “for the curious,” with “no two Curio experiences the same.” The Village District Curio will take the place of the old K&W space (don’t worry, the strip including local gems like Charlotte’s will not be affected). And solving your parking problems, the hotel will include a multiuser parking deck serving up both the hotel and Village District. Get ready for a staycation!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

from Raleigh Magazine:

❗️Breaking News❗️The Village District is upping its hip factor with Raleigh’s first Curio Collection by Hilton Hotel. Permits have officially been filed for the upscale hotel brand, which boasts a global portfolio of handpicked hotels “for the curious,” with “no two Curio experiences the same.” The Village District Curio will take the place of the old K&W space (don’t worry, the strip including local gems like Charlotte’s will not be affected). And solving your parking problems, the hotel will include a multiuser parking deck serving up both the hotel and Village District. Get ready for a staycation!

Nice!! The Curio brand has some pretty interesting hotels. I believe this is the first for NC?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

""The former K&W Cafeteria building in the Village District (formerly Cameron Village) is set to be demolished to make way for a new hotel. Named the Oberlin Hotel, the building will rise seven stories and feature 153 guest rooms.

A longtime Triad group, Quality Oil Company, is the hotel’s developer and management company.

The new hotel will be part of Hilton’s Curio Collection portfolio. The brand is known for upscale, boutique-style properties. The selected hotels are supported by Hilton (NYSE: HLT) but retain individual branding.

North Carolina has only one property in the Curio Collection – The Foundry Hotel Asheville.

Construction is set to begin with the demolition of the former K&W Cafeteria building in late July. The hotel is slated to open in the summer of 2025. The project has been in the works since Fall 2021. Isom Ham Design Group is the architect for the project and Matthews Construction is the contractor.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/07/19/raleigh-village-district-new-hotel-hilton-curio.html

this a nice looking hotel and should do good there close to NC State and central to everything in Raleigh. 

oberlin2_750xx1921-1080-127-480.png

This looks pretty nice. Given the topography in the photo, I'm assuming that the artists' back is toward Chick-Fil-A, and this traffic on the right is on Woodburn, ascending from Smallwood intersection. This puts the parking deck on the K&W footprint, kind of hidden from the pedestrian experience, while the building sits on what is now the surface parking lot.