Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

Buying a car

15 posts in this topic

It's time for a new car. Well, new used car. I hate shopping for cars - I am so indecisive!

I have decided I need an AWD wagon. Got stuck one too many times last winter. I don't fit right in the Subarus, so I am looking at a couple of volvos and Audis.

I could go with the Volvo V50 or the Audi A4. I like the looks of the Volvo, it's fairly economical, comparatively, too. But they are awfully expensive, although they do have much lower mileage. And I am not sure about how small the back seat is. But I love the handling of smaller, lighter cars.

I could go with a XC70 or the A6. My cousin (an ex-Audi mechanic) has vowed to never talk to me again if I buy an All-road. I love the XC70, but it's so big! And the gas economy sucks.

Then there's the Passat. Which fits between them all, and is fairly cheap. But it's also - cheap. My last three cars fell apart on me before I paid them off(not just the engine but body parts and suspension, too). And I hate to see that happen to me.

I hate decisions! why can't this ever be easy????

You've got good taste in cars.

VW's are known for having reliability issues.

The XC70 looks pretty good but personally I've got a thing for Audis. Something about the design of Audis makes them come together very well... Then again one of the most comfortable cars I've driven was a Volvo. It's hard to go wrong with any of those choices.

I like the Passat, but reliability has been spotty to poor the past few years. I would go with the Volvo V50 or Audi A4.

I'd stay away from the XC70, I mean oil touched $140 a barrel today, I'm betting we'll be paying $5 a gallon for regular before long nationwide.

I would really stay away from the Passat. It is a heap of junk IMO. My wife's sister purchased one new four years or so ago and she has spent thousands on fixing problems with it. For the same reasons I would stay away from VW I would also stay away from Audi (same company). Volvo may be a fine choice but I would also look into the Acura RL if you can afford it, even a used one. They have AWD and as an Acura owner myself I can speak highly of their reliability, comfort, etc.

I have yet to know someone who has purchased a VW that didn't have problems with it, and some were reoccurring. I would stay away from them.

Unfortunately there isn't much to choose from in that you are looking for a wagon and AWD. Mercedes-Benz offers their 4-matic on all their models but their wagon would be considerably more expensive than the Volvo (if new). If you also got a diesel model, you would however have a vehicle that would basically last forever. Their R-class is a lot less expensive but that is because it is assembled here in the USA.

You might want to take a look at the Suzuki SX4 Spoert. Its a nice reliable little 4 wheeler that gets decent mileage.

I'd stay far away from VWs or Audis. Both are hangar queens when it comes to reliability. I'm not a huge Volv fan, but that's probably the best of what you mentioned.

Seriously, check the SX4 out. Fiat sells it as Sedici in Europe.

One thing you might consider depending on where you live is picking up a 4x4 truck and the car of your choice. Trucks are going for real cheap now and if you just want something awd for the snow and you don't live too far north it might not be a bad idea.

You might want to take a look at the Suzuki SX4 Spoert. Its a nice reliable little 4 wheeler that gets decent mileage.

I'd stay far away from VWs or Audis. Both are hangar queens when it comes to reliability. I'm not a huge Volv fan, but that's probably the best of what you mentioned.

Seriously, check the SX4 out. Fiat sells it as Sedici in Europe.

I have also considered that going for two cars approach. In some ways it makes sense - have a good 4wd for snow and for airport runs and moving stuff, and a smaller, more economical fun car. Insurance would of course be more, has anyone else gone this route?

I have yet to know someone who has purchased a VW that didn't have problems with it, and some were reoccurring. I would stay away from them.

Unfortunately there isn't much to choose from in that you are looking for a wagon and AWD. Mercedes-Benz offers their 4-matic on all their models but their wagon would be considerably more expensive than the Volvo (if new). If you also got a diesel model, you would however have a vehicle that would basically last forever. Their R-class is a lot less expensive but that is because it is assembled here in the USA.

If you are fixated on wagon, I might consider waiting until the wave of diesel options comes out in '09/'10. VWs & Audi's are nice, but expensive and somewhat unreliable--as the others have said. Volvo might be a bit better, but will still be pricey. Sure you haven't tried the Outback? They're pretty big, but not enormous. If you want fuel economy and a wagon, consider waiting for the Outback diesel version that's in Europe now and will likely be in the US next spring... could be up to 40mpg.

Even if you don't like the Outback, I'd still consider waiting ~2 years for the next wave of fuel efficient cars. If gas prices continue going up, you might end up with a vehicle that is almost obsolete (or VERY costly to operate) within 2-3 years.

"I did not know Fiat cross sold it - is it a Fiat model or a Suzuki?"

The platform was jointly developed and shared, but both Fiat and Suzuki source their own parts. Fiat Sedici is basically the SX4, at least on the platform (chassis) level. Just like the Mazda 3, Volvo S40/c30 and European Ford Focus are all basically the same platform.

It's so sad that some of the more expensive marques are sometimes such nightmares to fix......

What Subarus don't you fit in? The newer ones are pretty big. Look at a Legacy, Outback, or Forester. They're all fine cars and will run forever. I have an Outback Sport, and it is a small car, but the regular Outbacks and the Forester are good sized cars on the inside. If I remember correctly, you're around Worcester. Check out Anchor Subaru in North Smithfield, RI. They're great people and reasonably priced (that's where I bring mine for service).

I agree with Neo, avoid VW (and as an extension Audi). If anything goes wrong, they're really expensive to fix. And the last time I checked, Volvo didn't have very good reliability ratings either (they're now Fords).

IMO, the best AWD cars are made by Subaru, but you might want to check out the Toyota Rav4 or Honda CRV.

What Subarus don't you fit in? The newer ones are pretty big. Look at a Legacy, Outback, or Forester. They're all fine cars and will run forever. I have an Outback Sport, and it is a small car, but the regular Outbacks and the Forester are good sized cars on the inside. If I remember correctly, you're around Worcester. Check out Anchor Subaru in North Smithfield, RI. They're great people and reasonably priced (that's where I bring mine for service).

I agree with Neo, avoid VW (and as an extension Audi). If anything goes wrong, they're really expensive to fix. And the last time I checked, Volvo didn't have very good reliability ratings either (they're now Fords).

IMO, the best AWD cars are made by Subaru, but you might want to check out the Toyota Rav4 or Honda CRV.