The Gilmore Group

gvsusean

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Gilmore Group is more of a " Brand" than a chain or a holding company. Their business is restaurants. Their concepts are different, ranging from the trendy to the upper echelon. But they are a brand in that, when we hear Gilmore is opening a new restaurant or has a new project, we are intrigued and eager to check it out based on their reputation.

I'm not really sure how to feel about this. Sure Nick Finks is a dump, but it's unlike any bar out there. When you walk down the hallway you feel like you're walking back in time. That is, of course, till you look behind the bar and see all the out dated Junior Bud ads!

I really hope they take the nostalgia and run with it. But not too far because then it could be cheesy.

I'm glad that they are going to renovate Nick Finks. I know my opinions might be considered extreme, considering that I generally don't give two shakes about history. Nick Finks has been an eyesore at that intersection since I can remember. Makes all of that strip that constitutes Comstock Park look like a dump. Who knows maybe the rest of those buildings will follow suit if they do a nice job. :)

But just because something is historical, mean it's doomed to look like poo for eternity in the interest of preserving the same? I should rephrase, I love history, but what I define as historically significant would not be Nick Finks in it's current uninviting facade, for those of us who drove past it for ten years but wouldn't ever consider setting foot in it based on it's appearance alone. With it being sold to Gilmore, obviously the Finks were in a position where they couldn't keep it for long in the status quo. In that case it would have closed all together. Would that be better than tweaking the business model, improving the property and investing in it?

Archived