Police Presence in Downtown Greenville

motonenterprises

Tonight I was showing some family members around downtown Greenville. Minutes after we left the Liberty Bridge area near main a rucus broke off. A group of wanna be thugs got into a fight near the Peace Center and ended up near the park. These types of groups have been on the rise. Do you guys think our police department is doing a good job at keeping our downtown safe? The presence seems weak down there. When I go to Atlanta you see cops everywhere. I don't want this crowd to ruin it for everyone. Most of them are too young to go in the bars or what not so they just hang on the walls. Where in the heck are their parents?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember hearing something similar to this happening at Fall for Greenville last year. For some reason, it seems like the police presence downtown is focused more towards the Piazza Bergamo/Hyatt area then the Falls Park/West End Field area. Not sure why that is. It is unfortunate something like this happened but it can happen anywhere especially on a Saturday night. I for one have been noticing an increase in these wanna-be-thugs downtown. Where were the parents you ask. Well, if they're thugs then their parents don't care. That's how they got that way in the first place. I think school being out for the summer has a lot to do with it too. There was a story recently on Fox Carolina that talked about graffiti starting to show up more downtown especially in the West End. You can put the two (thugs and graffiti) together pretty easily. How did the fight end though? Did cops finally show up or did it just end on its own?

When we came back up in front of the Michelin store there were about 10 police cars lined up in the median with lights flashing. The crowd was gathered in front of Falls Park at that time. The cops were in the crowd. Please don't let these wanna-be's destroy what we have here. It makes my people look bad.

The number of people in a given area deters most criminal activity. The cameras all over downtown probably help too. Unfortunately, such groups could care less. And I agree that the police presence downtown is probably not spread out like it should be.

I've heard that in some neighborhoods in the city they have curfews. Nicholtown and I think one called Pleasant Valley have curfews because of past gang and criminal behavior. Perhaps a curfew based on age would work downtown. That group was teenagers that were causing trouble.

I don't like the basis of such rules being generalizations. I believe the mall might do this for teenagers. This is a handful of teenagers perhaps that may cause trouble, but at the same time, we would be running off a greater number of people who contribute to the positive crowds that spend money and enhance the area...

I think a more spread out police presence would be best. Maybe if an excessive number weren't so worried about blocking off North Main Street on random nights...

Let's not all start assuming that graffiti artists are thugs, now. I'm certainly not a thug and I take pride in my graffiti. :o OK...go ahead and start flaming away everybody! What?? There's a graffiti artist right here on UP?? Luckily anything I do will have a more artistic side and be something nice to look at. I don't run around spraying a gang name on walls or anything, but I certainly don't have a problem putting something nice on a blank wall.

BUT...to stay on topic here, I will agree that you won't see nearly as many police in the West End. As mentioned above, they seem to focus on the Piazza Bergamo area the most. I think a curfew would be ridiculous, though. That's the job of parents...and if they can't handle that job then they shouldn't have kids. As far as fights go...I don't think I have ever seen one downtown. Some idiot spit in my face once and I almost threw my fist at his face...but I held myself back when I realized he had three other friends and they were all about 6 foot 200 lbs.

I wouldn't make anything of it. Its certainly not a good thing, but more police downtown won't be worth it. Downtown is already very safe.... how would you change anything? You can't stop people from being morons. Its like the mall... how do you tell large groups of kids not to hang out there? You'd have to have some kind of loitering law.... but that would totally go against what downtown Gville is all about! I think this is nothing but growing pains.

Listen brother. I'm sorry if you got offended. The crowd that was involved in the incident were indeed teens, more of the thug wanna-be type. You know with the pants hangin and what not. Hey, I could get offended because they were black, but I won't. The truth is the truth. These type hurt things for everyone because of their behavior, but sometimes we have no choice! What if we were closer and one of my kids got hurt, then I will be fighting someone's teenage kid for hurting my child. Better yet, charge the parents with the crime they will watch their kids then.

Oh, and you mentioned few stupid kids. This crowd was 20 or 30 large! That a few to you?

Listen brother. I'm sorry if you got offended. The crowd that was involved in the incident were indeed teens, more of the thug wanna-be type. You know with the pants hangin and what not. Hey, I could get offended because they were black, but I won't. The truth is the truth. These type hurt things for everyone because of their behavior, but sometimes we have no choice! What if we were closer and one of my kids got hurt, then I will be fighting someone's teenage kid for hurting my child. Better yet, charge the parents with the crime they will watch their kids then.

Oh, and you mentioned few stupid kids. This crowd was 20 or 30 large! That a few to you?

Let's not all start assuming that graffiti artists are thugs, now. I'm certainly not a thug and I take pride in my graffiti. :o OK...go ahead and start flaming away everybody! What?? There's a graffiti artist right here on UP?? Luckily anything I do will have a more artistic side and be something nice to look at. I don't run around spraying a gang name on walls or anything, but I certainly don't have a problem putting something nice on a blank wall.

Archived