Police Presence in Downtown Greenville

motonenterprises

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's wrong, and I know that...but I never claimed to be a perfect child. I would love to see myself as a "Banksy" to the Greenville area someday! People love his work so much that they sign petitions and what-not to keep his art up! Have you never seen graffiti/stencils/wheatpastes that really caught your eye and were really cool? Plus, I've found that if the piece is nice enough and not vulgar or political lots of owners will leave them up because they like it!

Don't worry, though. I'll be in Charleston for a while starting in August so I won't be ruining all the beautiful blank walls here.

It's wrong, and I know that...but I never claimed to be a perfect child. I would love to see myself as a "Banksy" to the Greenville area someday! People love his work so much that they sign petitions and what-not to keep his art up! Have you never seen graffiti/stencils/wheatpastes that really caught your eye and were really cool? Plus, I've found that if the piece is nice enough and not vulgar or political lots of owners will leave them up because they like it!

Don't worry, though. I'll be in Charleston for a while starting in August so I won't be ruining all the beautiful blank walls here.

^ I'm very surprised that the illegality of young one's "art" work wasn't even brought up until the 2nd page of this thread!

Graffitti costs home & business owners REAL money to clean up! I'm sure the folks in Charleston would be thrilled to have you kind down there, defacing potentially historic structures.

And as to this comment P9Y1R1O made in an earier post:

Plus, I've found that if the piece is nice enough and not vulgar or political lots of owners will leave them up because they like it!

Your justification for ignoring private property rights doesn't impress me. Have you ever tried asking a property owner for permission to use his property as your canvas? It's looks to me like your motivation is more one of fame or thrill seeking than actual community improvement.

^ I'm very surprised that the illegality of young one's "art" work wasn't even brought up until the 2nd page of this thread!

Graffitti costs home & business owners REAL money to clean up! I'm sure the folks in Charleston would be thrilled to have you kind down there, defacing potentially historic structures.

And as to this comment P9Y1R1O made in an earier post: ...I'm sorry, I'm calling BS on that.

Son, why not go to art school & use your talents for good & not evil?

I would have to fall under the category of if you do not own it do not change it. However just to show you how different mind sets can be. In much of Italy, a place I think most of us would look up to in regards to art, culture, the for runners of urbanization there is a saying. Dont stand in one place to long less you get painted. Virtually everything in Rome is spray painted, with the exception of the major tourist attraction and churches. Everything else is fair game and people do not seem to mind. They look at it as everyone's right to expression, personal property be damned.

I would have to fall under the category of if you do not own it do not change it. However just to show you how different mind sets can be. In much of Italy, a place I think most of us would look up to in regards to art, culture, the for runners of urbanization there is a saying. Dont stand in one place to long less you get painted. Virtually everything in Rome is spray painted, with the exception of the major tourist attraction and churches. Everything else is fair game and people do not seem to mind. They look at it as everyone's right to expression, personal property be damned.

I hope that p2y2r7o does not sign his "work" with the same name (and traceable IP address) used in this forum for his sake.

I think that defacing another persons proprerty for arts sake is a fairly invasive, insensitive and almost violent in a way action. If that message is part of the art, perhaps it makes sense. But just to put pretty pictures up while invading other peoples space and inflicting financial harm on them to me sends a mixed message. Some people are just not very considerate of others. I dont think that taggers would very much appreciate someone spraypainting their house and car.

Perhaps we could all get an invite over to p2y2r7o's to bring our spray cans so that we too can uderstand how great it is to be an artist on his/her property?

I hope that p2y2r7o does not sign his "work" with the same name (and traceable IP address) used in this forum for his sake.

I think that defacing another persons proprerty for arts sake is a fairly invasive, insensitive and almost violent in a way action. If that message is part of the art, perhaps it makes sense. But just to put pretty pictures up while invading other peoples space and inflicting financial harm on them to me sends a mixed message. Some people are just not very considerate of others. I dont think that taggers would very much appreciate someone spraypainting their house and car.

Perhaps we could all get an invite over to p2y2r7o's to bring our spray cans so that we too can uderstand how great it is to be an artist on his/her property?

pyro, about the speeding thing and breaking the law. Speeders aren't damaging something that belongs to someone else, so thats kind of an invalid point. Brother, just don't deface property thats not yours man. I wouldn't want anyone painting on my stuff. I guess we're getting off topic. I'm sure you can find a way to put your (art) somewhere that its wanted. Did you say you were in art school? I love art, but I don't draw on anything not mine.

I see both sides of this issue. Private property rights should be enforced and protected. However, I see a huge difference between p2y2r7o putting graffiti on a brand new building at RiverPlace and putting it in a rundown area of town. I am not saying that property owners in the ghetto should have fewer property rights than those in nice areas. The graffitti is obviously just as illegal either place, but I don't think it harms nearly as many people if it's in an obscure location that is already dilapidated.

Plus, there is a difference between graffiti that is conceptual art and graffiti that consists of spray-painted words and vulgar images. One seeks to add creativity and uniqueness, while the other simply exists to be mean.

Didn't we have a thread recently glorifying Greenville's grit?!? If so, doesn't graffiti fall into that category?

pyro, about the speeding thing and breaking the law. Speeders aren't damaging something that belongs to someone else, so thats kind of an invalid point. Brother, just don't deface property thats not yours man. I wouldn't want anyone painting on my stuff. I guess we're getting off topic. I'm sure you can find a way to put your (art) somewhere that its wanted. Did you say you were in art school? I love art, but I don't draw on anything not mine.

Lets get this back on topic.......

Yes, Greenville could use more police presence on Main St near the park and the baseball stadium. Just the other night I was at the falls noticing the lack of law enforcement, but suprisingly there is not much trouble in that area.

If you think downtown Greenville has gang problems you should visit Main St Anderson..... It's enough to make me want to do some law enforcing myself :o

I saw a cop driving a Kawasaki 4WD vehicle on the trails running through Falls Park, and then onto Cleveland Park. He must've been looking for something. I saw him turn on his blue lights briefly. That thing barely fit on some of the bridges. I don't know why they couldn't have used a bike cop.

I don't agree with more police presence. Cities with a higher obvious presence of police, typically gives me the impression the city has a crime problem. Downtown Greenville does not have a crime problem. I like the way the police in Greenville sort of blend into the word work in downtown....it is much the way European cities operate. You don't see the police, you don't think about them, but they are there if you need them.

What I do wish the city would crack down on is the noise ordinance with loud music coming from cars. Downtown Greenville does not need people cruising in their cars with the bass from radios thumping so loud you can hear it blocks away. People that come downtown should park their cars, get out and enjoy the city and spend some money in establishments.....not cruise around in tricked out cars with music sound levels shattering every window........

Would love to see the police really crack down on this noise issue.

Archived