New Downtown Wayfinding Signs

CorgiMatt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How in the world can that happen????? The people putting up the signs didn't know which direction to point them, so they just flipped a coin? I assume they never once thought "hmmm...we don't know where this sign goes. Maybe we should ASK"??? How rediculous!!!

Gantt said a company from Charlotte is putting up the signs and is unfamiliar with the layout of the city.

What the #$*%????? How the hell do you employ a company from another city to set up your wayfinding signs? I mean, really, there's no other company in Columbia or even from within the state that could've done it? Good Lord.....

Gantt said a company from Charlotte is putting up the signs and is unfamiliar with the layout of the city.

What the #$*%????? How the hell do you employ a company from another city to set up your wayfinding signs? I mean, really, there's no other company in Columbia or even from within the state that could've done it? Good Lord.....

Are the signs just in the downtown area? Someone should take some shots.

There seems to be two types of wayfinding signs: those dedicated to drivers that only have major sites/attractions listed, like the ones in Atlanta

sign.jpg

and those dedicated to pedestrians, which sometimes have more things listed and have a smaller font. This is the conceptual sketch for the ones that debuted in uptown Charlotte not too long ago:

2.jpg

You've just got to make sure the ones for pedestrians are placed in pedestrian-friendly areas.

Are these signs going to be lit up at night? Drove by one the other night and I could barely see the sign, let alone what it said.

Are the signs just in the downtown area? Someone should take some shots.

There seems to be two types of wayfinding signs: those dedicated to drivers that only have major sites/attractions listed, like the ones in Atlanta

sign.jpg

and those dedicated to pedestrians, which sometimes have more things listed and have a smaller font. This is the conceptual sketch for the ones that debuted in uptown Charlotte not too long ago:

2.jpg

You've just got to make sure the ones for pedestrians are placed in pedestrian-friendly areas.

And it's bad enough that some of the street signs throughout the city are hard to see as well, even during the day.

I rode down Bull Street this morning to check them out. I had no problem at all reading them. I guess the lasik surgery is holding up after 8 years. The only thing I noticed was that the signs themselves seem a little small to be on such tall posts. But I noted that Steve Gantt said they should look more appropriately sized (to scale) when the pre-existing signs around them are removed.

I rode down Bull Street this morning to check them out. I had no problem at all reading them. I guess the lasik surgery is holding up after 8 years. The only thing I noticed was that the signs themselves seem a little small to be on such tall posts. But I noted that Steve Gantt said they should look more appropriately sized (to scale) when the pre-existing signs around them are removed.

No joke, guys. On my way home from work I was driving down Taylor and saw two couples walking and turning the corner from Bull onto Taylor. One of the guys looked back as though something didn't seem right. I wondered if they were walking the wrong way trying to find the Township. Sure enough the Township is hopping this evening with something going on. Those folks followed the sign and went the wrong way.

No joke, guys. On my way home from work I was driving down Taylor and saw two couples walking and turning the corner from Bull onto Taylor. One of the guys looked back as though something didn't seem right. I wondered if they were walking the wrong way trying to find the Township. Sure enough the Township is hopping this evening with something going on. Those folks followed the sign and went the wrong way.

The signs in Charlotte are PEDESTRIAN wayfinding signs. They are not meant to be read by cars. Charlotte is also working on a wayfinding system for parking decks, which IMO Columbia needs to do too.

Now, there is NO excuse for having them installed in the wrong locations. There should have been a local person with the crew to ensure the correct placement. Not having seen the signs except on that video clip, I can only make so many assumptions... but I will say that based on those, I wasn't overly impressed. However, if you're not from the city and you need to figure out where to go, you should be able to see the signs well enough.

Yesterday afternoon I saw another screw up. At least I think it is. When you're driving up Gervais from Park Street toward the capitol, there's a sign about halfway to Assembly Street that has the capitol at the top with no arrows (meaning you are at that landmark, the capitol), and a sign pointing ahead for USC, one pointing ahead for Five Points, and one pointing left for the Main Street District. I don't know about y'all, but if I'm in my car and can see "Main Street District" in time, I'm going to turn left on Assembly and say, "Yuck, if this is Main Street this place has got problems," or I'm going to go all the way to Elmwood looking for Main Street. If they are placing signs along Assembly pointing to Main Street, say at Lady Street, then I will have missed the first block of Main.

After going to Charlotte this past Saturday, the wayfinding signs in Columbia are nearly identical to the ones in Charlotte except ours are blue and gold with a white moon and Charlotte's are green and white(?) with a crown. The sizes are identical.

Archived