Nashville Zoo

timmay143

I thought I would start a topic on the Nashville Zoo so that we can add news and whatever else relating to the zoo. This place has come a long way, and it looks like more improvments are on the way. Between this and the Adventure Science Musuem and it's new planetarium, maybe Nashville is getting to the point of having some descent local educational attractions. Not that these places are bad, but I know our zoo can not compare to others, such as Memphis, St. Louis, etc. I haven't been to the science museum in a LONG time so I really can't comment on it, but I feel that it has been sort of a sleeper in our town. I think it will be great if these two places continue to improve. Now if only we can get an aquarium....

Here is an articel from the TN about a new South American exhibit and some other new animals:

Young zoo continues to grow, adds baby camels and goats: Planned multimillion-dollar South American exhibit would include indoor rain forest

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nashville's zoo probably does not stand up so well against those in Memphis or St. Louis, but then the one in St. Louis has roots all the way back to the 1904 World's Fair.....it does, however, compare very well against many in the U. S. For example, the zoo in Sacramento (California's capitol city) is only FOURTEEN ACRES. The Nashville Zoo property is hundreds of acres larger! I give big credit to the folks who have toiled to make our zoo the great place it is today.......remember that only a short time ago our city did not have a zoo at all. I am a member and supporter of the Nashville Zoo (also the Frist Center and the Country Music Hall of Fame) and encourage everyone to become involved and support all the great non-profit groups that help make Nashville a GREAT place to call home!

This is funny, because I was just wondering about the Nashville Zoo. I went to the Memphis Zoo this past weekend and it was incredible in my opinion; I was wondering how Nashville's Zoo had come along, and how it compared to the Memphis Zoo. When I lived in Metro Nashville and working in Nashville (2001-2004 time frame) I thought the Zoo was going through a major overhaul, but if it

Friends,

I was a member of the Nashville Zoo for about eight years but gave up the membership as support grew (I didn't feel my cash was as desperately needed) and because of zoo leaders' decisions (which I did not support) regarding animal additions.

The Nashville Zoo is what I would call a quality "third-tier" zoo. The Memphis and Knoxville Zoos are strong "second-tier" zoos. The Memphis Zoo is outstanding in terms of the setting (surrounding by a lush park, North Parkway, some building density, and historic tree-filled neighborhoods) and its collection of species. It is VASTLY superior to the Nashville Zoo.

However, the Nashville Zoo is on the move. The leadership is strong and competent. I just feel that over the past five to seven years, the zoo has added too many animals that are not considered "high profile" (some of this, in fairness, has been due to financial constraints).

We should be excited about the Nashville Zoo.

WW

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that stated that the Nashville Zoo has a huge potential because of the land they have there. It will be one of the premier zoos in the country IMO, in 20 years or so. It actually has more land than the San Diego Zoo, if I remember right. About 800 acres, I think.

The thing is that although it's not tier one now, their Master Plan will eventually make them a great zoo. I went to a zoo in another country last week, and it's really tragic how the animals there are still kept in horrid, confining cages, and I'm glad our zoo gives the animals plenty of room to roam. The SA exhibit should be really interesting when completed.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Some great news for the Nashville Zoo. Attendance is up and at an all-time high. A new Caribbean exhibit for flamingos is set to open up in 2010.

Nashville Zoo attendance hits all-time high in 2009

JANUARY 18, 2010

Nashville Zoo is celebrating a an all-time high attendance record for 2009.

A total of 615,086 guests visited the zoo, a record-breaking 16 percent increase from 2008 and an all-time high, zoo officials announced Monday.

Zoo memberships were up by nine percent from 2008 to 24,155 households representing approximately 115,000 people.

Nashville Zoo attendance hits all-time high in 2009

• 9 months later...

Archived