Crime = Development & Growth?

jpl02

I've been thinking lately about the surge of crime that's hit Tallahassee within the past couple of years, particularly on the west side of town. Usually, an increase in crime is associated with an increase in growth and development. If crime is an indicator of growth, then Tallahassee must certainly be growing at a brisk pace.

What do you all think? Do you think the increase in crime is a result of growth, or a result of other factors?

• 1 month later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting correlation between crime and growth. I think the increase in crime is due to lack of opportunity. If there's no opportunity to better yourself, you're gonna resort to illegal means. It's funny how West Tallahassee is becoming the top crime spot when Southside has long held that crown.

Ha, well I would switch around Crime and Development & Growth in the topic title, but since we're looking at crime as the variable being the indicator of something, I would have to agree with that assessment. I guess there would be plenty of other factors that could have an affect on crime such as unemployment, homelessness, poverty. But all those are things Tallahassee doesn't seem to have a huge problem with, and is seemingly improving upon anyhow (at least in Frenchtown with the new affordable housing and such). Naturally the larger the sample population, the more crimes that will be committed, all other things equal.

Archived