Grand River Development (Leeds, AL)

TRoberts

Not sure this has been posted anywhere else in the forums (except the Retail Development Forum) but I ran across this image today while researching some. It shows the limits of the Grand River development in Leeds. I know the parcel immediatly north and south of I-20 is included but I'm not sure on the the 2,196 ac. parcel. It is distinctly seperated from the 1,175 ac. parcel containing Bass Pro Shops.

The major portion of the retail development will be in the area bounded by the Cahaba River and Highway 78/I-20.

I'm sure we'll be seeing more to come over the coming months as things progress. This is going to be a huge project on the scale of Ross Bridge (without the golf course and 5-Star Hotel). I've heard Daniel is planning similar style streetscapes, homes, village center, etc. as Ross Bridge. Ultimately, Grand River will have a larger overall population than Ross Bridge as well due to its available size being much larger.

I've seen some estimates that would have Leeds as one of the 5 largest cities in the Metro upon completion of Grand River and one article said possibly as high as number three behind Birmingham and Hoover. I don't know that I would go that far to say Leeds would be the third largest city in the metro but with over 6,000 ac. to work with on development spanning from close to Trussville in the north all the way down to possibly Grants Mill Road, I guess it could possibly be. Six thousand acres will hold one hell of a lot of homes. The key though is just how long will the build-out take considering the current market conditions. I could see buildout taking 15 to 30 years to complete all of the residential sections of Grand River. Obviously, the retail and office portions will be some of the first completed sections with the bulk of the residential following over time.

grand_river.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

!

I can read the headlines from 15 years from now:

Barber Motorsports park to hold it's final race after the residents of Grand River successfully sued in District Court to halt all motorsports activities due to noise pollution.

People will move right next to a race track, and then beotch up a storm because it makes too much noise :(

It will be quite interesting to see this development in Eastern Jeffco. I know Leeds has been basically isolated from the rest of the region's urbanization, but this will make up for it. Also as much as I want to see Birmingham's urban area population surpass the 900,000 mark, this shouldn't be another example of just tackless sprawl.

It will be quite interesting to see this development in Eastern Jeffco. I know Leeds has been basically isolated from the rest of the region's urbanization, but this will make up for it. Also as much as I want to see Birmingham's urban area population surpass the 900,000 mark, this shouldn't be another example of just tackless sprawl.

I can't see this being tackless sprawl considering who is behind this development. US Steel and Daniel Corp take much pride in their developments and building them a step above the rest from what I've seen. Some of the largest and most thought out planned communities in the Birmingham area were the brainchilds of either US Steel or Daniel (or both).

Just a few have been Greystone, Trace Crossings, Ross Bridge, Hillsboro, The Preserve... Being in real estate for over 10 years, in my opinion these are some of the nicest large scale communities in the area. Compare any of these to other communities like Waterford in Calera or some other developments in Alabaster, Pelham, Gardendale where the builders intent was to maximize the absolute most homesites out of the land and there's no comparison to a US Steel development.

The way I keep desribing Grand River to people that have been through Ross Bridge is "Ross Bridge East" so to speak....

• 4 weeks later...

I too wonder how Eastern Jeffco and St.Clair could support 3 (regional) malls/centers--The Pinnacle, Gateway Towncenter(Moody), and Grand River. I know that Grand River is supposed to be a premium outlet center(perhaps like Orlando Premium Outlets), so I guess they will cater to a different demographic of people. As for The Pinnacle and Gateway Towncenter, I assume that they might have similar stores. Perhaps there are enough stores out there so that there will not be many duplicated stores right down the street from one another. There aren't any Abercrombie's, Gaps, Banana Republics, Macy's, Cheesecake Factory's, TGI Friday's(to name a few)in this area. It could actually work though since The Pinnacle lacks many stores that you would see in South Birmingham. It would also be interesting to see if Birmingham or GGP steps up in an effort to change Century Plaza into a lifestyle center or a redeveloped mall. The future is definitely going to be interesting for the eastern area of metro Birmingham...as it grow towards Atlanta. I hope that we could grow rapidly,yet carefully too Leonard.

I too wonder how Eastern Jeffco and St.Clair could support 3 (regional) malls/centers--The Pinnacle, Gateway Towncenter(Moody), and Grand River. I know that Grand River is supposed to be a premium outlet center(perhaps like Orlando Premium Outlets), so I guess they will cater to a different demographic of people. As for The Pinnacle and Gateway Towncenter, I assume that they might have similar stores. Perhaps there are enough stores out there so that there will not be many duplicated stores right down the street from one another. There aren't any Abercrombie's, Gaps, Banana Republics, Macy's, Cheesecake Factory's, TGI Friday's(to name a few)in this area. It could actually work though since The Pinnacle lacks many stores that you would see in South Birmingham. It would also be interesting to see if Birmingham or GGP steps up in an effort to change Century Plaza into a lifestyle center or a redeveloped mall. The future is definitely going to be interesting for the eastern area of metro Birmingham...as it grow towards Atlanta. I hope that we could grow rapidly,yet carefully too Leonard.

Jim Wilson & Assc. has posted on their website some of the tenants of Gateway Towne Center. They name Belk & Dillards as the primary anchors (although there is a 3rd anchor spot around 127k sq. ft. according to one leasing plan I've seen that is potentially Target - it hasn't been name publicly that I can find). Other tenants according to www.jwamalls.com include Dicks Sporting Goods, Barnes and Noble, Circuit City, DSW among others. There are 18 restaurants pads and two hotel pads as part of the development along with a theater location.

Grand River, as you mention, keeps being desribed as upscale outlets. I've heard the name Saks mentioned and I can only assume that it is actually Off 5th (Saks 5th Avenue's outlet chain). I'm imagining that we'll see something along the lines of Orlando Premium Outlets with more upper brand outlet stores such as Pottery Barn, Williams Sanoma, Guess, and a similar mix as Orland or North Georgia. I would imagine some of the more upscale dining will be here at Grand River with the more casual mixes such as Chili's and Applebees at Gateway Towne Center.

I honestly don't see any Abercrombies, Gaps, Banana Republics, Macy's or any of the stores you mention unless it's outlet versions of them and that could still be questionable as all of those stores are basically represented at The Summit. Macy's will doubtfully build any more stores in the Birmingham market (at least until the next large lifestyle center is announced - which I don't see anytime soon). The Cheesecake Factory wouldn't expand further in B-ham unless it was the Galleria or possibly Brookwood Village and I wouldn't count on that either.

You're not going to see places like that at either of the St. Clair developments I don't believe as the household incomes just aren't going to support that for a regional center. You'll see the more expensive places at Grand River because it's more of a super-regional draw with Bass Pro and all. Gateway Towne Center is going to be limited to the Jim 'n Nicks, and Applebees, and Chili's and all. Which honestly is a good thing. There are very few sit down restaurants in the Leeds/Moody area besides Ruby Tuesdays, Cracker Barrel and Sante Fe Grill.

Jim Wilson & Assc. has posted on their website some of the tenants of Gateway Towne Center. They name Belk & Dillards as the primary anchors (although there is a 3rd anchor spot around 127k sq. ft. according to one leasing plan I've seen that is potentially Target - it hasn't been name publicly that I can find). Other tenants according to www.jwamalls.com include Dicks Sporting Goods, Barnes and Noble, Circuit City, DSW among others. There are 18 restaurants pads and two hotel pads as part of the development along with a theater location.

Grand River, as you mention, keeps being desribed as upscale outlets. I've heard the name Saks mentioned and I can only assume that it is actually Off 5th (Saks 5th Avenue's outlet chain). I'm imagining that we'll see something along the lines of Orlando Premium Outlets with more upper brand outlet stores such as Pottery Barn, Williams Sanoma, Guess, and a similar mix as Orland or North Georgia. I would imagine some of the more upscale dining will be here at Grand River with the more casual mixes such as Chili's and Applebees at Gateway Towne Center.

I honestly don't see any Abercrombies, Gaps, Banana Republics, Macy's or any of the stores you mention unless it's outlet versions of them and that could still be questionable as all of those stores are basically represented at The Summit. Macy's will doubtfully build any more stores in the Birmingham market (at least until the next large lifestyle center is announced - which I don't see anytime soon). The Cheesecake Factory wouldn't expand further in B-ham unless it was the Galleria or possibly Brookwood Village and I wouldn't count on that either.

You're not going to see places like that at either of the St. Clair developments I don't believe as the household incomes just aren't going to support that for a regional center. You'll see the more expensive places at Grand River because it's more of a super-regional draw with Bass Pro and all. Gateway Towne Center is going to be limited to the Jim 'n Nicks, and Applebees, and Chili's and all. Which honestly is a good thing. There are very few sit down restaurants in the Leeds/Moody area besides Ruby Tuesdays, Cracker Barrel and Sante Fe Grill.

Yeah, that is what I was getting at. Gateway Towne Center is probably going to be along the lines of The Pinnacle. I can see 1 or 2 nicer restaurants in search for a location in Eastern Birmingham such as at Grand River perhaps. Both Trussville and Lake Martin have larger numbers of higher income residents, and who knows...Liberty Park residents may venture to the area. Also I-20 is a pretty busy intersate, and I think that some destination(or just different) restaurants such as Sizzler, Steak and Shake, Max and Erma's, T.G.I. Friday's, Jack in the Box, etc. would work at Gateway. 18 restaurant pads should definitley be enough for new choices to open in the area.

I have seen the jwamalls website, and I was wondering if the tenants listed at Gateway Town Center (which are the exact same stores as the center below it) are correct...I sure hope so. Dillard's is going to be a big draw because it will act as a destination store. I would love to see Borders come to one of these centers since there aren't any in the state yet.

As for the 3rd anchor spot, I heard of a Costco coming to the eastern part of the metro area, but I think that is supposed to be going to the Roebuck Plaza area of Birmingham. I don't know how true that is, but I hope that it is.

Yeah, that is what I was getting at. Gateway Towne Center is probably going to be along the lines of The Pinnacle. I can see 1 or 2 nicer restaurants in search for a location in Eastern Birmingham such as at Grand River perhaps. Both Trussville and Lake Martin have larger numbers of higher income residents, and who knows...Liberty Park residents may venture to the area. Also I-20 is a pretty busy intersate, and I think that some destination(or just different) restaurants such as Sizzler, Steak and Shake, Max and Erma's, T.G.I. Friday's, Jack in the Box, etc. would work at Gateway. 18 restaurant pads should definitley be enough for new choices to open in the area.

I have seen the jwamalls website, and I was wondering if the tenants listed at Gateway Town Center (which are the exact same stores as the center below it) are correct...I sure hope so. Dillard's is going to be a big draw because it will act as a destination store. I would love to see Borders come to one of these centers since there aren't any in the state yet.

As for the 3rd anchor spot, I heard of a Costco coming to the eastern part of the metro area, but I think that is supposed to be going to the Roebuck Plaza area of Birmingham. I don't know how true that is, but I hope that it is.

YUMMM... Steak 'n Shake.... I may have to make a trip to Decatur soon now. Damn you Sly guy!

I wondered myself about how accurate the list was but I can see all of those listed being in Gateway. I'm surprised I guess about Dillards but hey, I'm sure they are too the point they'll take what-ever spot in the metro they can get their hands on. I too would love Borders. When I lived in Atlanta there was a borders just down the street from our apartment and we'd go hang out once a week there.

I haven't heard Costco mentioned in any of the plans but I have heard BJ's mentioned at the 140 exit on a large parcel on land on the southeast side - not part of Grand River though. BJ's is like a Sams Club or Costco and would definitely be a good draw to pull people in as well. I've never been in one so I don't know how they compare but from what I've heard about them, they are more on the Costco end of wholesale than the Sams Club end.

The future Costco locale I'm been hearing myself will be in at the Gadsden Highway and I-459 area. Now which municipality will it be in that one I can't answer, but it will be in that part of region. Gateway Towne Center looks to be around the lines of what Colonial Promenade Alabaster is to Shelby County, a large-scale regional shopping center. It is doubtful about Macy's as they are in "hold mode" on new stores other than Bloomingdale's in upper end retail centers in larger cities.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Posted by <a href='http://&quot;http://blog.al.com/businessnews/about.html&quot;' target="_blank" onclick="java script:urchinTracker('/outgoing/&quot;http');">Michael Tomberlin -- Birmingham News</a> August 09, 2009 6:20 AM

large_Shops%20of%20Grand%20River.JPG This is a rendering of The Shops of Grand River, a planned $127 million outlet mall in Leeds. (Special to The Birmingham News)

Daniel Corp. and two partners are ready to build a $127 million outlet mall in Leeds that's meant to rival upscale centers in vacation destinations, and they already have lined up nearly three dozen retailers for the center. The team plans to open the mall in time for the holiday shopping season of 2010, moving ahead with the project at a time when other developers are retrenching. Its design and layout are similar to outlet centers in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., and Destin, Fla.

medium_809%20Mall%20Leeds%20ALL.jpg <A href="http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2009/08/809%20Mall%20Leeds.pdf">Download a PDF of this map.

Edited post to fall within accordance of forum news article rule.

• 2 weeks later...

It's looks alright, but all it will do is contribute to the sprawl of the region. If this were closer in to the urban area I could see it's purpose, but this is just another example of poor planning on the state and local officials part. There are still plans on the book for a retail center in Moody, so how will these to interact with one another in a part of the region that doesn't exactly have that many households compared to North Jefferson, Bessemer, or Alabaster?

It's looks alright, but all it will do is contribute to the sprawl of the region. If this were closer in to the urban area I could see it's purpose, but this is just another example of poor planning on the state and local officials part. There are still plans on the book for a retail center in Moody, so how will these to interact with one another in a part of the region that doesn't exactly have that many households compared to North Jefferson, Bessemer, or Alabaster?

The overall masterplan for Grand River includes even more households than those included in Ross Bridge. Grand River is over twice the size (I believe) in acreage as Ross Bridge. The major difference will be the lack of a golf course in Grand River.

And this is close to an urban area... It's within 10 minutes of Trussville and only 10-15 of 280; and there has been probably much more growth in the Leeds/Moody/Odenville area than you realize and is poised to be a high growth area once the real estate market turns. The Leeds/Moody area continues to be a very affordable area for the size of homes you can get for the prices and property taxes are much better in St. Clair than Jefferson and Shelby. It's a much better location than the outlet center at Visionland.

Rtkenmore, I realize there is much growth in the area since I pass through it frequently, but what happened to attempting to revitalize our urban centers?

When it comes to development in this region it seems we are so busy trying to drive all the growth as far from the established urban area that it is making it impossible for anything decent in those areas to become anything other than just pipe dream. I'm just inquiring because regardless of the viability of the outlet mall being that, I just think we should be trying something else other than just trying to duplicate what has been going on across the nation and end with the same result, more sprawl. There are also equally affordable households closer in with less the commute...

Rtkenmore, I realize there is much growth in the area since I pass through it frequently, but what happened to attempting to revitalize our urban centers?

Not to be negative, but corrupt politicians are what is hurting the Urban Center (i.e. Birmingham) the most. I'm all for revitalizing and renewing but at the same time, you can't build certain types of projects in areas that are not going to be supported by them or in areas where there area no tracts of land large enough for the project. The only existing "mall" or retail space that could have the capacity for a project the size of "The Shops at Grand River" is Century Plaza and I hate to say it but that is not an ideal location for something of this caliber due to the demographics as well as the statistics associated to that area. Anywhere there is a shoot-out in the parking lot between employees for what-ever reason isn't an ideal location for new retail (Wal-Mart in Eastwood about 2-3 months ago).

As for revitalizing areas, Crestwood, Forest Park, Avondale to an extent have seen tremendous efforts to revitalize these areas and encourage growth in the core city of the metro. Again, with the lack of high caliber schools in Birmingham, you only attract a certain demographic to these areas as well when people are looking to buy.

When it comes to development in this region it seems we are so busy trying to drive all the growth as far from the established urban area that it is making it impossible for anything decent in those areas to become anything other than just pipe dream. I'm just inquiring because regardless of the viability of the outlet mall being that, I just think we should be trying something else other than just trying to duplicate what has been going on across the nation and end with the same result, more sprawl. There are also equally affordable households closer in with less the commute...

The Shops of Grand River is one of the largest new retail centers being built this close to the city center. You're talking about 15 miles from the City Center to Grand River... The Galleria is only about 14 miles... The new retail in McCalla is over 20 miles... the new retail in Alabaster is almost 24 miles. So Grand River is staying close to home so to speak. As for the sprawl, it's already here and there is really nothing we can do to stop it at this point; what we can do is advocate for smart growth from this point forward and into the future. Where do see equally afordable housing closer to the city center out of curiosity? A quick look through the MLS finds new construction 3 BR homes under $110k to be in Warrior, Hayden, Jemison... These are not close places to the city center. The same search also yields a 3 BR in Leeds/Moody for $109,900 (brand new construction). That's the most affordable AND most convenient to the city center of anything on the market. I also know of 4BR Full Basements for under $130k in the Leeds/Moody area. Again, you can't find that in a more convenient location to the city center anywhere else. Anyway, that's my two cents worth today...

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be negative, but corrupt politicians are what is hurting the Urban Center (i.e. Birmingham) the most. I'm all for revitalizing and renewing but at the same time, you can't build certain types of projects in areas that are not going to be supported by them or in areas where there area no tracts of land large enough for the project. The only existing "mall" or retail space that could have the capacity for a project the size of "The Shops at Grand River" is Century Plaza and I hate to say it but that is not an ideal location for something of this caliber due to the demographics as well as the statistics associated to that area. Anywhere there is a shoot-out in the parking lot between employees for what-ever reason isn't an ideal location for new retail (Wal-Mart in Eastwood about 2-3 months ago).

As for revitalizing areas, Crestwood, Forest Park, Avondale to an extent have seen tremendous efforts to revitalize these areas and encourage growth in the core city of the metro. Again, with the lack of high caliber schools in Birmingham, you only attract a certain demographic to these areas as well when people are looking to buy.

The Shops of Grand River is one of the largest new retail centers being built this close to the city center. You're talking about 15 miles from the City Center to Grand River... The Galleria is only about 14 miles... The new retail in McCalla is over 20 miles... the new retail in Alabaster is almost 24 miles. So Grand River is staying close to home so to speak. As for the sprawl, it's already here and there is really nothing we can do to stop it at this point; what we can do is advocate for smart growth from this point forward and into the future. Where do see equally afordable housing closer to the city center out of curiosity? A quick look through the MLS finds new construction 3 BR homes under $110k to be in Warrior, Hayden, Jemison... These are not close places to the city center. The same search also yields a 3 BR in Leeds/Moody for $109,900 (brand new construction). That's the most affordable AND most convenient to the city center of anything on the market. I also know of 4BR Full Basements for under $130k in the Leeds/Moody area. Again, you can't find that in a more convenient location to the city center anywhere else. Anyway, that's my two cents worth today...

I don't believe finding affordable housing stock closer to the City Center isn't the issue persay because you can find decent homes within the City of Birmingham that are at least $110K with 2 to 3 bedrooms. I have a number of acquaintance that have even found decent homes in the areas like Woodland Park and their home is worth $166K. The issue with schools is understandable, but just the corruption issue is region-wide.

My problem is that we don't have the proper infrastructure (transportation mainly) to keep building outward when it can't handle what is already there. We are one of the worst cities in the South for traffic and building out further is only going to make it worse. I'm all for development, but that's sustainable and affordable development and Grand River doesn't fulfill the sustainable aspect because all it looks like what Trace Crossings is but further out. But that's where we'll have to agree to disagree because this development look like any other development with a short lifespan.

I don't believe finding affordable housing stock closer to the City Center isn't the issue persay because you can find decent homes within the City of Birmingham that are at least $110K with 2 to 3 bedrooms. I have a number of acquaintance that have even found decent homes in the areas like Woodland Park and their home is worth $166K. The issue with schools is understandable, but just the corruption issue is region-wide.

My problem is that we don't have the proper infrastructure (transportation mainly) to keep building outward when it can't handle what is already there. We are one of the worst cities in the South for traffic and building out further is only going to make it worse. I'm all for development, but that's sustainable and affordable development and Grand River doesn't fulfill the sustainable aspect because all it looks like what Trace Crossings is but further out. But that's where we'll have to agree to disagree because this development look like any other development with a short lifespan.

Two things... First, when you say Woodland Park are you referring to the fairly new community near McCalla that's actually located in Tuscaloosa County and not even in Jefferson?? I'm very familiar with that community and in this market you'd be hard pressed to get values in the upper $140's for those homes considering there has only been one sale in that community this entire year and it was i the mid $120's.

Second, you keep saying things as though Leeds & Grand River are some horrible distance from Birmingham. Grand River is located 15 miles from the downtown city core; it's closer to downtown Birmingham than Trace Crossing (and I'm not sure what Trace Crossing has to do with this at all anyway). And as I mentioned, Grand River is actually one of the closest new retail developments to the city core. Almost all of the recent retail developments are further from downtown Birmingham than Grand River and not to mention that Grand River will be less than 15 minutes (10 minutes even) from Trussville, about 15-20 minutes from areas on 280 via 119 and within 10-15 minutes for most all of Crestwood, Forest Park, Avondale, Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, Homewood, etc.

Grand River on a retail level is filling a void in the retail landscape of Birmingham as well. The closest outlet shopping is Watermark (a very sad excuse for outlets) and Boaz, AL. With the tenant mix I've seen rumored for Grand River, they are pulling a mix along the lines of what you see at Chelsea Premium Outlet centers.

Two things... First, when you say Woodland Park are you referring to the fairly new community near McCalla that's actually located in Tuscaloosa County and not even in Jefferson?? I'm very familiar with that community and in this market you'd be hard pressed to get values in the upper $140's for those homes considering there has only been one sale in that community this entire year and it was i the mid $120's.

I'm talking about Woodland Park, which is neighborhood in the City of Birmingham and has an actual neighborhood association of the same name. It's the community surrounding Greensprings Avenue, and it's western boundary is 11th Court SW, eastern and southern boundary is the CSX tracks, and northern boundary is Greensprings and Dennison Avenue itself. The Heritage Town Center retail center and subdivision, where former Mayor Richard Arrington used to reside until he divorced his 2nd wife, is located in the Woodland Park neighborhood.

I don't know what "Woodland Park" in eastern Tuscaloosa County you are talking about, but the one I'm talking about has been in existence since the 1970's. It's a one of Birmingham's many middle-class neighborhoods with a growing number of young and college educated residents moving in although it doesn't make headlines like areas outside the city in the Birmingham News real estate inserts. However, I have a friend (and his partner) that reside there and his very active in the neighborhood association, and I've seen for myself the area is nice, safe, and quiet area in the Birmingham and only 5 minutes from the City Center.

I have worked for the local government and had direct access to property assessment values for the individual properties in the region, and can reaffirm the values of individual residences in that specific neighborhood (in addition to that friend's confirmation of price).

Second, you keep saying things as though Leeds & Grand River are some horrible distance from Birmingham. Grand River is located 15 miles from the downtown city core; it's closer to downtown Birmingham than Trace Crossing (and I'm not sure what Trace Crossing has to do with this at all anyway). And as I mentioned, Grand River is actually one of the closest new retail developments to the city core. Almost all of the recent retail developments are further from downtown Birmingham than Grand River and not to mention that Grand River will be less than 15 minutes (10 minutes even) from Trussville, about 15-20 minutes from areas on 280 via 119 and within 10-15 minutes for most all of Crestwood, Forest Park, Avondale, Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, Homewood, etc.

I never said that "some horrible distance" from Birmingham, I called what it is sprawl when the existing infrastructure can't even handle the sprawl that is already plaguing the region. Trace Crossing came into the mix because its example of another development similar to what Grand River is proposed to be (except for the retail), and its just another cookie-cutter development that is located more than 10 miles from the city core, IMHO. I'm not throwing any shade at the development, but it is what it is.

Like I said, we will have to agree to disagree on this because I'm just not all that excited over the continuation of the sprawl plaguing our region when there are major efforts at work right now to improve the transportation infrastructure at the moment. The ITP (In-Town Partnership) will be the beginning of some major that would help get the region off the ground when it comes to transportation infrastructure, mobility, and major revitalization of the urban core where we have some great and affordable areas to live as well.

• 8 months later...

After snooping around a little on the update Grand River website and the leasing agents website, I ran across the leasing plan for the center (http://www.fwacgroup.com/pdfs/grand-river.pdf). It's marked fairly clearly that space 500 is "Saks". Looks like Grand River is making a pretty good splash with the number and type of stores they are recruiting. Other stores listed now include Gap, Banana Republic, Aeropostale, Kasper and several others. They've updated their website with the newest list as well as posting that the grand opening will be October 28th (just in time for the X-mas shopping season). This is really looking like a big winner for the Birmingham area.

• 1 month later...

I just drove by there last weekend and was pleased at how it was coming along. I'm also amazed that they plan for it to be done by late October. Hwy 78 is going to see a lot of development because of this. I have high hopes for this place because I do not like how the Pinnacle is laid out at all. The design is plain with just one big strip. Grand River looks to have a lot more character to it.

After snooping around a little on the update Grand River website and the leasing agents website, I ran across the leasing plan for the center (http://www.fwacgroup...grand-river.pdf). It's marked fairly clearly that space 500 is "Saks". Looks like Grand River is making a pretty good splash with the number and type of stores they are recruiting. Other stores listed now include Gap, Banana Republic, Aeropostale, Kasper and several others. They've updated their website with the newest list as well as posting that the grand opening will be October 28th (just in time for the X-mas shopping season). This is really looking like a big winner for the Birmingham area.

I have actually been snooping around, and found that a Guess Factory Store is apparently opening in the center. I am very excited because I really like Guess clothes. (https://www.ldiline.com/home.cfm?id=16883). This site shows job openings for sales associates, managers, etc. There are other stores opening such as Dress Barn, and Joseph A Bank (https://www.ldiline.com/ldiline_more5.cfm)

Archived