Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

• 2 weeks later...

13 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I would love to see a permanent stadium there that could host the US Open.

"could" means not often.  Chase Stadium is huge; 25k seats or so.  It's so cool.  That's gotta be a $150M project to build.  But the US Open isn't just Chase Stadium, it's that plus 3 or 4 other smaller stadiums with matches going on simultaneously.  To recreate all of that would cost probably half a billion dollars.  I don't think that would ever happen.

So, get this.  I don't remember where I read it, but the KPMG facility according to them will see a thousand employees from around the world flying into Orlando every week for training.  That will surely boost OIA's numbers some.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/12/2018 at 9:22 AM, orlandouprise said:

For some reason, landscaping and manicured lawns are  not a focus or a forte of Metro Orlando like it is in some other metros...

I feel like the reason for this was there really was no really great low-maintenace grass that grew really well in this area. St Augustine needs too much water and maintenance and is too prone to chinch bug in this area. Its a lot easier to take care of in South Florida for whatever reason, and thats what builders and many put in. The introduction of Zoysia grasses over the past several years I think is starting to change that, it is about a million times easier to keep looking right in our climate.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

"Mr. Bond will now be working with Tavistock, right, Miss Moneypenny?"

we must be related...  "Gold-fingah...do you expect me to to-alk?"  No, Mista Bond, I expect you to die!

On a side note, I am shocked that my shots of the KPM&G construction yielded only 1 like.  Wow.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

I have an different take on the KPMG project that will probably be unpopular.  I promise it is my honest opinion and is not intended to be controversial.

Isn't it essentially just a new resort?  

My understanding is that it will provide mostly living space and dining for trainees (in addition to the obvious classroom and meeting space). 

The entire center will only hire 80 people total.  Maybe 2-3 dozen of those employees which will be high-paid accounting instructors.  

That is not much bang-for-the-buck for a 1/2 billion dollar project.  

I would put it in the "business tourism" catagory more than anything.  We can expect more airport traffic, car rentals, and some ancillary restaurant/catering business.  But trainees will likely stay on-campus most of the time.  That is not a problem.  But it is far from a large accounting office with high-wage, permanent workers buying homes and putting down roots here.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Completely agree.   Definitely didn’t hurt to see it choose to locate there instead of downtown as much as if it were permenant jobs like BBA or the VA.   

Though that many more ‘tourists’ downtown would have been nice for retail and restaurants 

On 7/31/2018 at 4:43 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Orlando has a new opportunity to build better and they still can't get it right?Haha.

I think Lake Nona, for the most part, is pretty well landscaped. Its a large area, there will be a few sore spots, especially with all the rain we got this summer, definetely felt like more than usual, but I've been very impressed by the landscaping overall there.

4 hours ago, I am Reality said:

The entire center will only hire 80 people total.  Maybe 2-3 dozen of those employees which will be high-paid accounting instructors.

I don't think thats accurate. KPMG press release seems to imply 250 new employees of which 80 will be "high wage". I guess we'll have to see what they actually do, but i can't see them otherwise having a half billion 50+ acre campus with a thousand guests a week while having instructors for them too with only 80 employees total. 

2 hours ago, aent said:

I think Lake Nona, for the most part, is pretty well landscaped. Its a large area, there will be a few sore spots, especially with all the rain we got this summer, definetely felt like more than usual, but I've been very impressed by the landscaping overall there.

I don't think thats accurate. KPMG press release seems to imply 250 new employees of which 80 will be "high wage". I guess we'll have to see what they actually do, but i can't see them otherwise having a half billion 50+ acre campus with a thousand guests a week while having instructors for them too with only 80 employees total. 

I thought the same thing about the employment numbers.  I did a double-take when I read it.   The press release definitely says that the Lake Nona project will employ only 80 KPMG employees.  I assume KPMG will subcontract with a company like Aramark to handle dining and a hotel-company to handle lodging.   KPMG has no practical experience handling either.  The company (as mentioned in both the headline and the press release) will hire 330 total statewide.   Although costly and large-in-scale, the Lake Nona project will not positively impact local employment more than a large hotel. 

The press release says:

"In addition to 80 new KPMG jobs associated with operating the completed learning, development, and innovation facility, the firm expects to add some 330 jobs in Florida over the next three years as its business serving audit, tax, and advisory clients continues to expand. KPMG currently employs nearly 700 people in offices in Orlando (in the Regions Bank Tower on North Orange Avenue), Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami."

https://home.kpmg.com/us/en/home/media/press-releases/2017/05/kpmg-breaks-ground-on-400-million-learning-development-and-innovation-facility-in-lake-nona-announces-plans-to-hire-330-statewide.html

3 hours ago, I am Reality said:

I thought the same thing about the employment numbers.  I did a double-take when I read it.   The press release definitely says that the Lake Nona project will employ only 80 KPMG employees.  I assume KPMG will subcontract with a company like Aramark to handle dining and a hotel-company to handle lodging.   KPMG has no practical experience handling either.  The company (as mentioned in both the headline and the press release) will hire 330 total statewide.   Although costly and large-in-scale, the Lake Nona project will not positively impact local employment more than a large hotel. 

The press release says:

"In addition to 80 new KPMG jobs associated with operating the completed learning, development, and innovation facility, the firm expects to add some 330 jobs in Florida over the next three years as its business serving audit, tax, and advisory clients continues to expand. KPMG currently employs nearly 700 people in offices in Orlando (in the Regions Bank Tower on North Orange Avenue), Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami."

https://home.kpmg.com/us/en/home/media/press-releases/2017/05/kpmg-breaks-ground-on-400-million-learning-development-and-innovation-facility-in-lake-nona-announces-plans-to-hire-330-statewide.html

Ah, it appears you're right, although KPMG claims all 80 of its will be "high wage". There will "more than 250 jobs created under third party contract operator positions" for the complex, which brings the total to about 330.

Edited by aent