Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

I saw an article today about medical city in a magazine; it was an expose; the renderings of Nemours and of the VA show them to both be quite larger than the UCF complex;

what's there now is nothing compare to what will be there very soon. that place will be gangbusters with development; apparently the VA will be over 1 million sq ft of development alone. and Nemours looks like it will be 7-9 stories tall at one point.

• 1 month later...

Finally getting the attention it deserves: Orlando Sentinel article

I like that the Sentinel is pinning the importance of Burnham and the medical city against Disney. Competition for importance as an industry in Orlando can only make companies better neighbors. Disney has long had the leisure to run their own show without considering the needs of this city. You can already see that changing with small endorsements, such as their backing of high speed rail (with a stop at the convention center), the commuter rail, and DPAC. Kudos to Disney World's new president for shifting the tide.

I saw an article today about medical city in a magazine; it was an expose; the renderings of Nemours and of the VA show them to both be quite larger than the UCF complex;

what's there now is nothing compare to what will be there very soon. that place will be gangbusters with development; apparently the VA will be over 1 million sq ft of development alone. and Nemours looks like it will be 7-9 stories tall at one point.

VA is 65 acres, Nemours is 60, UCF College of Medicine is 50. UCF's development is much more phased then the other 2...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was finally able to see the medical city w/ my own eyes while on holiday. Aside from it's rural location, it's encouraging to witness the city engaging in real planning.

I'd call it real planning if/when they actually looked at using transit for transportation rather than continually widening roads to accommodate these developments. All the developmetns I've seen for the area all talk about widening everything to 6 lanes with more at intersections. Oh, but they'll be putting in trails and sidewalks that meander and make things look all 'quaint'. It's all very 'sprawly'.

bleh.

I'd call it real planning if/when they actually looked at using transit for transportation rather than continually widening roads to accommodate these developments. All the developmetns I've seen for the area all talk about widening everything to 6 lanes with more at intersections. Oh, but they'll be putting in trails and sidewalks that meander and make things look all 'quaint'. It's all very 'sprawly'.

bleh.

Must agree. If you isolate it, yeah, looks great. But from an Orlando Metro perspective it's a spawl engine. I think it's great to have the medical city in Orlando, but just about anywhere other than where it is would be better. The only reason it's there is the land was free. The only reason the land was free is because the owner, Tavistock (Lake Nona), could jump start growth on their remaining land.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Valencia's Lake Nona Campus is still in the general vicinity of Lake Nona Medical City community. What sucks is the fact that there are currently no roads that directly connects the Valencia project to any of the hospitals that are going to be in the area, outside of taking the Central Florida Greenway. If the city recognizes this issue and fixes it, then there should be no issues.

There will be a road connecting Narcoossee Rd to the town center and medical city, between the high school and the new middle school being built. One of the first things they did before starting construction on UCF was line the route with large oak trees. You can see the road in this map. Its kind of annoying but if you play with it, you can see the road in the plans.

The World Design Center is going to be on the Beachline and JYP on the land of the former Agere plant, not in Lake Nona.

http://orlando.bizjo.../19/story1.html

Here's the latest on that site:

Tavistock demolishing old Agere plant in south Orlando

When Tavistock purchased the 206 acres in 2007 for about $50 million, the company considered a partnership with architect C.T. Hsu to create a design-industry center. McMahon said Hsu's concept has not been discarded, but Tavistock continues to explore uses for the property.

Agere Plant Razed

Edited by DeepEyez

New York Time's Spotlight on Lake Nona Medical City

Orlando’s Newest Attraction Is Medical

Just off State Road 417, a five-minute drive east from Orlando International Airport, a 650-acre parcel of land is fast becoming a $2 billion medical campus, including a medical school, research laboratories and hospitals. http://nyti.ms/ciFaic

According to this article, Ronald McDonald House Charities is also considering opening a facility on hospital grounds. Which would make that the third in Orlando.

Edited by DeepEyez

The success of the medical city rests in venture capital, if and when that arrives in Orlando.

I was much more enthusiastic about Lake Nona until my last trip to Orlando when I was finally able to see it with my own eyes. It's so far removed from the city center that it is hard to get all that excited (from an urban standpoint). That said, at least the presence of Burnham has already spun off a joint Diabetes Research facility with Florida Hospital to be located downtown. And, the 5000+ permanent jobs that will be generated from Burnham, UCF Medical, VA Clinic, Nemours, MD Anderson, and UF Research, cannot be understated.

I do agree that it'll likely be the envy of the state when it is up and running; serious biotech in Florida will have shifted it's focus from South Florida to Central Florida, almost overnight. You have to wonder if Scripps got the short end of the stick when passing on Orlando, in the end. I suspect they will eventually get their hands wet in the Orlando market within the decade.

What remains to be seen, and is the big "if" in this equation, is what I mentioned first. Will medical city actually bring in the start-ups and device manufacturing companies that feed off new discoveries at research institutes or will innovative companies continue to thrive in other states like California and Massachusetts while Florida gets left behind?

There will be a road connecting Narcoossee Rd to the town center and medical city, between the high school and the new middle school being built. One of the first things they did before starting construction on UCF was line the route with large oak trees. You can see the road in this map. Its kind of annoying but if you play with it, you can see the road in the plans.

The satellite imagery was updated on Google Maps during the summer, you can see the road under construction on their too...