Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

• 1 month later...

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like that the parking is structured but yeah i wouldn't want to move there for anything other than the zip code and I don't get too into zip codes. 

And the remoteness of it all is such a disservice to our veterans that need to get to the VA!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

And the remoteness of it all is such a disservice to our veterans that need to get to the VA!

Agreed. The drive out there is quite a trek, but after speaking with a few vets they seem happy to [finally] have the facility. The Baldwin Park Outpatient Clinic is still open for primary care, pharmacy and mental health otherwise they drive out to the VA medical center in Lake Nona.

• Like 1

No matter where they put it, somebody somewhere is going to have a bit of a drive to get there.

I'm pretty sure Lynx goes out that way.

What I hate to see is the sprawl being created which will inevitably lead to more and more sprawl.

More strain on our natural resources, water supply, etc, etc. 

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

LYNX services it from both downtown orlando and downtown Kissimmee but the only reason those new routes were funded were because of the VA.   So wherever the money came from it was public money that could go to better use if this facility was built say near Orlando Health. 

Outside of vets living in Solaire or 55West it's a minimum of two buses (well over an hour each way) a minimum schedule (no mid day service...enjoy that waiting room) and not to mention it doesn't leverage our SunRail investment at all.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jernigan said:

LYNX services it from both downtown orlando and downtown Kissimmee but the only reason those new routes were funded were because of the VA.   So wherever the money came from it was public money that could go to better use if this facility was built say near Orlando Health.

You're right. Imagine if the dumpy little offices/warehouses behind ORMC were bulldozed and the VA Medical Center/Medical city were built adjacent to SunRail = Total transformation and economic boost to SODO. That whole area just feels like one massive dump.

On 3/4/2017 at 11:56 PM, nite owℓ said:

You're right. Imagine if the dumpy little offices/warehouses behind ORMC were bulldozed and the VA Medical Center/Medical city were built adjacent to SunRail = Total transformation and economic boost to SODO. That whole area just feels like one massive dump.

What are you talking about? This is Orlando. They dont want to grow downtown too quick...where are the college kids going to live if you increase professional people downtownn?

Of course, every time you tear down one of those "dumpy areas" to build something new, you reduce the amount of affordable housing downtown. Eventually only the wealthy would be able to afford it. Given that the wealthy (both local and from out of town) have shown a predilection for suburban areas, that would likely reduce the success of downtown over time. Instead, if we get the college kids downtown and they see safe streets and decent schools (our downtown schools are often quite good, relatively speaking, and people have to learn that difference if they come from larger cities), they are more likely to try to stay close when they marry and have kids. At the moment, we have something San Francisco can only dream of: actual nuclear families close to the center city. 

Suburban offices are not strictly an Orlando phenomenon. Apple just completed Steve Jobs' vision of the perfect HQ (apparently he was alone in that opinion, based on recent reviews) and it was in Cupertino, not San Francisco. Every day, thousands of techies decamp from their homes in the City (SFO) to their offices in Silicon Valley (yep, quite suburban). I've been trying to find the article in the NY Times bemoaning that most Manhattan towers built these days are residential, with less and less office space.

I suspect that ever since back office activities have been split from other corporate activities, this trend has been accelerating. Let's also not forget that land in center cities is getting more and more expensive, which is probably a direct relationship as to why the suburban office parks continue to be popular. Until Orlando gets another corporate headquarters, don't look for most companies making decisions from elsewhere to have the warm fuzzies about being downtown (which is another reason to invest in local companies instead of bribing out-of-state companies to move.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:15 AM, alex said:

Glad to see they're moving forward with projects, but damn this makes me appreciate our downtown and even Creative Village. This is Waterford Lakes 2.0. 

lake-nona-town-center-master-plan*xx.jpg

Is there really no residential units planned for the Town Center?  Seems like an oversight in what is an otherwise walkable and well thought out plan.

Edited by prahaboheme

Right across the street they did just build a 5 story apartment building, right up to the street. They haven't built anything really 1 or 2 story in this area, so I'd be surprised if they don't throw in some condos and more apartments on top of some of the retail.