Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

Pharmaceutical firm seeks city incentives to build $149M+ plant in Lake Nona

An affiliate of New Jersey-based Amicus Therapeutics, one of the world's largest biopharmaceutical companies, is seeking up to $3.99 million in city and state economic incentives to build a manufacturing facility in Lake Nona's Medical City, an investment it tells city staff would be at least $148.85...

http://www.growthspotter.com/news/lake-nona-developments/gs-amicus-plans-lake-nona-manufacturing-facility-20180814-story.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ivanhoe said:

Pharmaceutical firm seeks city incentives to build $149M+ plant in Lake Nona

An affiliate of New Jersey-based Amicus Therapeutics, one of the world's largest biopharmaceutical companies, is seeking up to $3.99 million in city and state economic incentives to build a manufacturing facility in Lake Nona's Medical City, an investment it tells city staff would be at least $148.85...

http://www.growthspotter.com/news/lake-nona-developments/gs-amicus-plans-lake-nona-manufacturing-facility-20180814-story.html

Any info on what the competing cities/states are for this to help better tell our odds? Looks like it could be another huge get for Lake Nona, they're really killing it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aent said:

Any info on what the competing cities/states are for this to help better tell our odds? Looks like it could be another huge get for Lake Nona, they're really killing it.

No additional info in the Growthspotter article on other cities in consideration, just that Orlando is one of the cities considered.  Indeed, it would be a great catch for Lake Nona, directly adjacent to the Johnson&Johnson site (due south of Sanford Burnham).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

it looks like Orange County is cutting ties with Sanford-Burnham Institute, and that UCF is going to take over operations and pay the county $$$ per year for 20 years or so...  in the news yesterday.

Yep, Florida Hospital (now Adventist Health) placed a bid for it as well, but they withdrawed when the favor was with UCF.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

It's amazing the number of items we normally buy that are suddenly now 1-day shipping.  I'm guessing this is related.

I always laugh when cities tout the number of jobs these fulfillment centers create, because I'm thinking of an Amazon fulfillment center as 10 Wal-Marts melded together, WITH ROBOTS INSIDE.  A fulfillment center is not a value creator or an export generator; it is a logistics center there to mostly serve Central Florida customers.  Lake Nona lost Sanford Burnham and got THIS instead.  Grumble.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jliv said:

I always laugh when cities tout the number of jobs these fulfillment centers create, because I'm thinking of an Amazon fulfillment center as 10 Wal-Marts melded together, WITH ROBOTS INSIDE.  A fulfillment center is not a value creator or an export generator; it is a logistics center there to mostly serve Central Florida customers.  Lake Nona lost Sanford Burnham and got THIS instead.  Grumble.

While I don't disagree with your point, those 2 things are obviously unrelated. In other news, I believe UCF just took over the building and is converting it to a cancer research institute, a division that likely woudn't have been created without Burnham Institute leaving the market. We'll have to see how that works out and if they're able to keep the jobs there and keep everything running and operational.

Saw this on the news this evening. Interesting...

Lake Nona's shipping container food truck project will get dog park, too.

A dog park and volleyball courts will join a lineup of restaurants at the new shipping container park set to open this December, developer Tavistock said Wednesday.

1100x619

Tavistock said it will call the project Boxi Park, which will be an outdoor entertainment venue using shipping containers to house food trucks, small restaurants and bars. It will also have a fenced dog park, a playground, a beer garden and a beach volleyball court.

“Boxi Park will provide a unique entertainment venue to relax, grab a beer, let the kids run around, and enjoy the sunshine,” said a statement from Tavistock president Jim Zboril.

Tavistock first confirmed the project back in May, but has changed some of the configurations from earlier plans.

The Boxi Park will be located in LakeNona’s Town Center district and will be near the five-story parking garage and another parking lot. It will be at the northwest corner of Lake Nona Boulevard and Tavistock Lakes Boulevard.

The new 30,000-square-foot park will use 12 shipping containers in one and two-story configurations. Some are used for restaurants, others for shade and performances.

Tavistock plans to have live entertainment playing there on many nights as well.

The design will also allow the shipping containers to be moved as the park and entertainment district grows, the company said.

Tavistock is also relocating several trees to the park from other parts of its property.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-lake-nona-20180905-story.html

• 2 weeks later...

Curious about SoDo's upcoming Earth Fare "food boutique" (JFW's wonderful term!)?

The first Earth Fare in the Orlando area will open this Saturday on Narcoossee Rd near Lake Nona if you want a sneak peek.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/09/18/earth-fare-organic-supermarket-will-open-its-first-orlando-area-location-next-week?media=AMP+HTML

From Orlando Weekly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 1:01 PM, aent said:

https://med.ucf.edu/medical-center-groundbreaking/?fbclid=IwAR3983Prhs0ZiYvhXiRIYHQ0I_uSTeUkvXyoeYxSMQjBoPx8XvypJWAfgLU

Probably the most disappointing building so far in Lake Nona, I enjoyed the architecture before. HCA tends to build super ugly everywhere, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Photos from the groundbreaking:

UCF, HCA break ground on teaching hospital
http://bit.ly/2yyWMvE

From the Sentinel

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...